Another Artifact question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Artifact question!

Would this place I found today be worth digging a little. Had knee surgery 9 days ago so not up to digging yet.
    Attached Files

Are rocks scarce on your property?

Comment

Is there is a artifact hiding in the image? Can you provide more info about the area?

Comment

It is a washed out game trail about 1/2 mile from the Colorado river and about 200 yards from a campsite. The camp site has about 6 grind holes in rock. There are artifacts all over my property. Most surface artifacts have been picked up.

Comment

Good find! No telling what you wind find!

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            Are rocks scarce on your property?
            Not at all with lots of flint laying around.

Comment

My guess is those are either Pliocene or Pleistocene alluvial lag deposits. Those areas and associated materials were typically used as “quarries”, you may find some tested cobbles and cores, early stage bifaces, and some larger flakes but finished tools are rare in those sites.

At least that’s been my experience....

Comment

Originally posted by TxArcheo View Post
                My guess is those are either Pliocene or Pleistocene alluvial lag deposits. Those areas and associated materials were typically used as “quarries”, you may find some tested cobbles and cores, early stage bifaces, and some larger flakes but finished tools are rare in those sites.

At least that’s been my experience....
                Thanks!

Comment

I would pick this one up before digging.lol
                  Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow hgead.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	24652840

Maybe one here also. If it is it's the first one I've ever found.

Comment

Good eye sir!

Comment

I'll look tomorrow are Sunday. Just saw it and took pics from my Ranger. Still a little gimpy legged. Thanks. Lots of artifacts on my place. I have picked up a few over the years. My best find was a drill.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                          I'll look tomorrow are Sunday. Just saw it and took pics from my Ranger. Still a little gimpy legged. Thanks. Lots of artifacts on my place. I have picked up a few over the years. My best find was a drill.
                          First and most important, let that knee heal up good and strong before you make it do any shovel work. A real useful arrowhead hunting tool that has saved me a lot of bending over and might work for you is this. Take your 4-tine garden cultivator and “scratch” the ground with it about like you are working on weeds in your garden. Your knee will appreciate it, and you be less likely to break anything off points you turn up. Good luck with the knee and the arrowhead hunting.

Comment

I don't know about that exact spot, but I would bet you do have a lot of points on your property somewhere, looking at those pictures and reading what you said about the place. That particular spot, if there is anything, you will need to be very alert and have good eyes to pick out points, with that many rocks there naturally. I am assuming you are talking about running that ground through a sift, you would wind up with a lot of rock in your sift to look through. There could be a lot of points in there. To me, it looks like those rocks have been washed down hill and collected there over thousands of years.

I know that the places I have found a lot of flint, in a area like that, I did not find many points, I was sure, it was because there was so many rocks on the ground, the points did not stand out. I found a spot where their was a ton of flakes, along with a lot of rock like that. I never actually found any points there. On that same piece of property, I did find two tomahawk heads and the biggest point I have ever found. I found both of the tomahawks, in a low pasture, not far from the creek, then I found the big point in the creek after a flood that washed the creek out about 1 1/2 deeper than it had been previously. We also found a bunch of what look like cattle bones, but some don't look quite right for cattle bones, I suspect they may be bison bones, but really don't know. I would like to get someone who knows, to check them out some day. They are definitely some old bones, but don't know from what. I know that ranch, has had cattle on it for over 100 years, so they could be cattle bones. But like I said, some of the bones don't look quite like anything I have seen on a cow skeleton. I know the area, where I found all of this stuff, was a area, that the buffalo spent a lot of time, in the area. I would guess that large point I found was on a lance or spear, that was used on a buffalo, that likely died in the creek.

That area you found, if it is a result of rocks being washed down hill, and accumulating there. There very likely would be some points in with the rocks, but if there are not a lot of them, you are probably going to have sore eyes trying to find them, in all of those rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              I don't know about that exact spot, but I would bet you do have a lot of points on your property somewhere, looking at those pictures and reading what you said about the place. That particular spot, if there is anything, you will need to be very alert and have good eyes to pick out points, with that many rocks there naturally. I am assuming you are talking about running that ground through a sift, you would wind up with a lot of rock in your sift to look through. There could be a lot of points in there. To me, it looks like those rocks have been washed down hill and collected there over thousands of years.

I know that the places I have found a lot of flint, in a area like that, I did not find many points, I was sure, it was because there was so many rocks on the ground, the points did not stand out. I found a spot where their was a ton of flakes, along with a lot of rock like that. I never actually found any points there. On that same piece of property, I did find two tomahawk heads and the biggest point I have ever found. I found both of the tomahawks, in a low pasture, not far from the creek, then I found the big point in the creek after a flood that washed the creek out about 1 1/2 deeper than it had been previously. We also found a bunch of what look like cattle bones, but some don't look quite right for cattle bones, I suspect they may be bison bones, but really don't know. I would like to get someone who knows, to check them out some day. They are definitely some old bones, but don't know from what. I know that ranch, has had cattle on it for over 100 years, so they could be cattle bones. But like I said, some of the bones don't look quite like anything I have seen on a cow skeleton. I know the area, where I found all of this stuff, was a area, that the buffalo spent a lot of time, in the area. I would guess that large point I found was on a lance or spear, that was used on a buffalo, that likely died in the creek.

That area you found, if it is a result of rocks being washed down hill, and accumulating there. There very likely would be some points in with the rocks, but if there are not a lot of them, you are probably going to have sore eyes trying to find them, in all of those rocks.
                              Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X