NW Houston living advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NW Houston living advice?

One of my sons is graduating from A&M next month and he took a job in NW Houston. It’s close to 290 and Pinemont Dr. He has never lived in a big city before. I don’t know anything about Houston. Is that a decent part of town or should he look for an apartment further out towards Cypress. How bad is traffic on 290 in that area? He wants to live within 20 minutes of work if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oak forest subdivision, garden oaks are all good. Right east of 290 & pinemont. Lived here for 55 yrs. 290 is bad in aM & Pm during rush hours. If he has any questions, be glad to help him out.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      Oak forest subdivision, garden oaks are all good. Right east of 290 & pinemont. Lived here for 55 yrs. 290 is bad in aM & Pm during rush hours. If he has any questions, be glad to help him out.
      Yep, I'm in the same area. Lots of good restaurants/bars to keep him occupied as well.

Comment

I spent a lot of years living in the NW side(249/belt, champions, spring, out to Magnolia).

I wouldn't live inside the belt on any side of Houston. but that's just me. I would definitely encourage him to look in Cypress.

Comment

My mom lives in the oak forest/ garden oaks on pinemont area and it is becomeing a very nice area now than what it used to be. As long as he has no problen being surrounded by white middle aged hipter blue state migrants.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
            I wouldn't live inside the belt on any side of Houston. but that's just me. I would definitely encourage him to look in Cypress.
            This. I grew up near Jersey Village and that area has gone downhill. Cypress would be his best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
              One of my sons is graduating from A&M next month and he took a job in NW Houston. It’s close to 290 and Pinemont Dr. He has never lived in a big city before. I don’t know anything about Houston. Is that a decent part of town or should he look for an apartment further out towards Cypress. How bad is traffic on 290 in that area? He wants to live within 20 minutes of work if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
              I grew up at antoine and pinemont..and commuted for work at 290 and antoine for 5 years. The drive in the mornong from cypress is 20 to 30 minutes, afternoon was about 25 minutes. Dont live in the pinemont/290 area, its the hood. Oak Forest is nice but super expensive and is right on the edge of the hood (welcome to screwston). If he is going to be renting an apartment then look in areas like timbergrove or the galleria. I also commuted from the galleria to 290 and antoine and it was like 15 minutes in the moring 25 in the evening. The Washington area isnt bad either and there is a lot for younger folks to do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post

In Oak Forest tear down & rebuild lots are going for $400K. Higher in Garden Oaks.

I would direct your son into looking at some of these huge apartment complexes that are already built and twice as many more going up.

Start your search from Washington as the south starting point.
                Use Studewood as your east border & 610 as your west & north border.

Tell him to focus on the one with the best pool setup. When summer hits the pool looks like a Vegas party every weekend. They are very social and do tons of activities together. Grilling at the pool, bike rides, running, pub crawls.

They are co-ed dorms for adults. Don't go with him or your gonna want to move in with him.

Cypress social scene is a bunch of old drunks watching sports together.

Comment

Lived near Fallbrook and Beltway 8 for 5 yrs. Ditched that crap hole due to the horrible schools.

Comment

I appreciate the advice so far. He will be renting an apartment and cost is a factor. I will help him some if it means he can live in a safer area. Advice from you guys familiar with the area is priceless. Thanks.

Comment

I would have him look ay Cypress and Tomball area. Lot's of ground to cover in that area. I live in Rosehill area and work at 290 and 610 area. Takes me about 30 minutes to get to work and home. since 290 was redone traffic is usually a breeze.

Comment

I live in the area as well as Pinemont and Ella area. I would suggest he look in the garden oaks area or look closer to 290/610 area. Lots of great places in the area to eat/drink. PM if your looking for any more info.

Comment

What is your ideal price range?

Comment

Cypress area is my vote also. Good area and plenty to do, 290 isn’t that bad since it’s been redone.

Comment

JV

Comment

Working...
                              X