Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside
Default Denied beer at Walmart

My wife and I were at Walmart shopping and I picked up a case of beer. The cashier asked for my ID (Iím 49), which is fine. She then asked for my wifeís ID. My wife didnít have her purse with her and they refused to sell me the beer. I told my wife to wait outside and the cashier said, itís too late now. I asked her if I had my teenage daughters with me would I be allowed to buy the beer and she said, yes thatís different. Iíve never had that happen.
Was pretty interesting.
sbushee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

It's a sad reality where people are not trusted with the autonomy to make common sense decisions but yet must stick to a strict set of rules.

If employers would properly train and learn to trust their people they would be paid back immensely.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
breederbuck33
Ten Point

That is dumb, not interesting.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

That's frustrating...

I found out at Walmart last weekend (Saturday) that you can't buy beer until 7AM Lol Who knew? … It was 6:59. Literally. We sat there and twiddled our thumbs for 30 secs before restarting the transaction. Reminded me of the "Meet the Parents" scene at the airport ticket counter.

I feel like I see homeless people buying beer early in the mornings at gas stations all the time.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

self check the beer.
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
jer_james
Pope & Young

We were at the self checkout lane with the Family. I was inserting the card to start payment, the Better Half was bagging and the kids were scanning. Son picked up the 12 pk of Shiner, scanned it and the attendant came over like they have to for alcohol. Said we couldnt buy it now. I asked why, and she said because your Son scanned it.

I explained it was for me and I was paying for it, as she could see. She said she was sorry and had to void the purchase. I left the cart there and left.

I understood it, but geez I thought that was pretty stupid.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
We were at the self checkout lane with the Family. I was inserting the card to start payment, the Better Half was bagging and the kids were scanning. Son picked up the 12 pk of Shiner, scanned it and the attendant came over like they have to for alcohol. Said we couldnt buy it now. I asked why, and she said because your Son scanned it.
I have this issue with my gf (23) if she doesn't have her wallet on her, which is not uncommon if just tagging along with me for some quick shopping
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Wait.....you showed them your legal ID and because you wife didn't have an id they didn't sell it to you...but would if it was your daughter? What kind of dumb**** is that?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

I can shed some light here. I was a Walmart store manager for several years before I left to pursue a better work/life balance.

Short version: Lots of different organizations (political, religious, unions, etc) are always after Walmart due to their ability to payout large sums of money. Most, not all, policies around alcohol sales are more strict than what is actually called for by law, to simply protect the company.

As for the 6:59 am transaction and having to wait until 7:00, the registers are programmed to not allow unauthorized transaction to take place. Its based on the start time, not the end time.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking!

GoFundMe page yet?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

I avoid Wally World if at all possible. The reasons are:
1. They hire the cheapest and dumbest they can find, and I don't want to deal with the stupidity.
2. I can shop other places where I feel a whole lot safer in the parking lot and in the store.
3. They are so underemployed that, in the event I need help, I won't get any.
4. I don't enjoy waiting for people using multiple Lonestar Cards, gift cards, and other forms of combination payments to get their ***** together at the register.
5. Ridiculous policies like the OP stated above.

I'm willing to pay a little bit more to avoid the hassle, but that's just me.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSpinner View Post
I can shed some light here. I was a Walmart store manager for several years before I left to pursue a better work/life balance.

Short version: Lots of different organizations (political, religious, unions, etc) are always after Walmart due to their ability to payout large sums of money. Most, not all, policies around alcohol sales are more strict than what is actually called for by law, to simply protect the company.

So he was 49 and showed valid ID and was buying the beer. Why does he get denied because his wife does not have her purse?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #13
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSpinner View Post
As for the 6:59 am transaction and having to wait until 7:00, the registers are programmed to not allow unauthorized transaction to take place. Its based on the start time, not the end time.
I fully understand as we were at a self check-out and got the error message. The attendant came over, we awkwardly chatted while we waited a few secs, and tried again. No big deal. Just got a kick of the waiting around. I have a weird sense of humor.

"Enjoy your beer."
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
Eagles1181
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

Had something similar with buying shotgun shells.

Eagle
Eagles1181 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
I fully understand as we were at a self check-out and got the error message. The attendant came over, we awkwardly chatted while we waited a few secs, and tried again. No big deal. Just got a kick of the waiting around. I have a weird sense of humor.

Meet The Parents - Airport Scene (1080p) - YouTube

"Enjoy your beer."

Hahhahahahaha
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Ridiculous policies are caused by ridiculous people who break the law and ruin it for everyone else. It’s not Wal-Mart’s fault they have to follow the law to the T. You should be applauding them for acutially doing the right thing. They could get sued for hundreds of millions of dolllars over one mistake. Yeah yeah yeah, we all know you’re of age and you probably look of age, but there a lot of folks who look old enough, but aren’t. They’re just trying to do their job. Give’m a break.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I wouldn't have paid for anything at all at that point.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB View Post
Ridiculous policies are caused by ridiculous people who break the law and ruin it for everyone else. It’s not Wal-Mart’s fault they have to follow the law to the T. You should be applauding them for acutially doing the right thing. They could get sued for hundreds of millions of dolllars over one mistake. Yeah yeah yeah, we all know you’re of age and you probably look of age, but there a lot of folks who look old enough, but aren’t. They’re just trying to do their job. Give’m a break.

But he showed his ID? and was of age. But was denied because his of age wife didn't have her purse. And was subsequently told that if his teenage daughters were with him instead of his wife they would have sold it to him? What kind of sense does that make?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
I avoid Wally World if at all possible. The reasons are:
1. They hire the cheapest and dumbest they can find, and I don't want to deal with the stupidity.
2. I can shop other places where I feel a whole lot safer in the parking lot and in the store.
3. They are so underemployed that, in the event I need help, I won't get any.
4. I don't enjoy waiting for people using multiple Lonestar Cards, gift cards, and other forms of combination payments to get their ***** together at the register.
5. Ridiculous policies like the OP stated above.

I'm willing to pay a little bit more to avoid the hassle, but that's just me.
My mother, whose retired, worked for Wal-Mart for 30 years. Iím just wondering, was she cheap or dumb?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #20
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Wait.....you showed them your legal ID and because you wife didn't have an id they didn't sell it to you...but would if it was your daughter? What kind of dumb**** is that?
You can drink with your kids. But you can not buy beer for someone under age.

It's stupid but blame it on all the lawsuits and stupid people.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
Hunteraudit
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

So next time I buy beer for a teenager and he is standing beside me, all I need to do is claim he’s my son, got it.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #22
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
But he showed his ID? and was of age. But was denied because his of age wife didn't have her purse. And was subsequently told that if his teenage daughters were with him instead of his wife they would have sold it to him? What kind of sense does that make?
Itís the laws directed by the TABC....Wal-Mart doesnít make the rules. Iíve also had the same thing happen to me, with my wife, at Specís liquor.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #23
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Had something similar happen at Walmart. My 23 year old son and bought a 12. I paid for it and my son picked it up off the counter and the cashier knocked it out of his hand and said he can’t carry it. I said why? He said because he’s not 21. I said he **** sure is. He didn’t check my ID or my sons.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #24
ostey22
Ten Point

Hunt In: 4 counties in Texas

This happened to me and my wife with a bottle of wine, about a month ago at our little grocery store. There wasn’t anybody else in line so I had her run to the car and get her ID.
ostey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #25
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
My mother, whose retired, worked for Wal-Mart for 30 years. Iím just wondering, was she cheap or dumb?
She's your mother. Why are you having to asking a total stranger? Did you work at Walmart too?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #26
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Actually, in Texas, you can. I can go to a bar, order a beer and hand it to my underaged child as long as the bar allows it.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

It's stupid but blame it on all the lawsuits and stupid people.

But his teenage daughters would be underage while he was buying in the OPs scenario. how would they know they aren't who he is buying it for?

49 years old.. with his of age wife.....no beer
49 years old.. with teenage girls standing with him.... Sure we can sell it.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #28
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

See the TABC thread. ****ed if you do ****ed if you donít.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
She's your mother. Why are you having to asking a total stranger? Did you work at Walmart too?

Well, he labeled all Wal-Mart employees as cheap and dumb. Hence the question, but maybe I should have just sent you both an application.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #30
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking!

Quote:
In for response from Ultra!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #31
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart View Post
but he showed his id? And was of age. But was denied because his of age wife didn't have her purse. And was subsequently told that if his teenage daughters were with him instead of his wife they would have sold it to him? What kind of sense does that make?
none!
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #32
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well, he labeled all Wal-Mart employees as cheap and dumb. Hence the question, but maybe I should have just sent you both an application.

I agree, he unwisely painted with a broad brush.

I was just messing with ya
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #33
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
In for response from Ultra!
Ahhhh, I was more just ribbin him about the comment than anything. Iím not offended....just triggered!!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #34
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post

I explained it was for me and I was paying for it, as she could see. She said she was sorry and had to void the purchase. I left the cart there and left.

I understood it, but geez I thought that was pretty stupid.
There is a camera right overhead that is tightly focused on the scanner and bagging area. all it would show was your son scanning the beer. TABC will check those from time to time and the store might get in the dog house when the footage shows a minor scanning beer. On the 7:00 am can't buy beer deal. It was many years ago before all of the camera's for security were in stores. Me and my uncle tried to buy beer at 6:30am cashier said we couldn't buy it till 7:00 not wanting to wait we put the money on the counter plus 10.00 extra and said ring it up after 7. She smiled and we went on our way.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #35
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:

I agree, he unwisely painted with a broad brush.

I was just messing with ya
I know you werenít!!!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #36
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Ahhhh, I was more just ribbin him about the comment than anything. Iím not offended....just triggered!!
No insult intended. Just relaying my experiences there of late.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #37
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking yet again...

Quote:

Best post ever.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #38
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

This may not have any bearing but I was always under the impression that once you are married (say I'm 21 and the wife is 20) you can accept responsibility for your wife the same way as your kids, i.e. they can drink in your presence. Is that not correct or does it not matter in this case?
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #39
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
There is a camera right overhead that is tightly focused on the scanner and bagging area. all it would show was your son scanning the beer. TABC will check those from time to time and the store might get in the dog house when the footage shows a minor scanning beer. On the 7:00 am can't buy beer deal. It was many years ago before all of the camera's for security were in stores. Me and my uncle tried to buy beer at 6:30am cashier said we couldn't buy it till 7:00 not wanting to wait we put the money on the counter plus 10.00 extra and said ring it up after 7. She smiled and we went on our way.
I'm aware of the laws and policies and cameras. I would have been shown paying for the items as well. I used to handle General Liability insurance claims from Wal Mart. That's why I didnt raise a fuss or anything. I simply left.

I'm not blaming Wal Mart at all. I blame the idiots before me that made this ridiculousness go this far.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #40
Bud
Six Point

Went to two Wal-Marts yesterday to get ammo. One made me wait as they walked up the ammo for me and handed it to the cashier. The other just asked how many I wanted and handed them to me. Big business is like big government. One hand usually doesn’t even know what the other is doing.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #41
friscopaint
Ten Point

So I wonder how long before you could return and buy the beer alone.....some super secret time frame or never again......give some idiot a little responsibility and suddendly they are Elliott Ness......
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #42
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

And as far as blue laws, they should all be done away with as separation of church and state. There is zero reason I can by beer at 12:00 on Sunday but not 11:59 (or 6 in the morning for that matter).
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #43
FlounderPounder
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Used to run tugboats and weíd crew change around 4-5 am and can remember many mornings waiting at a cash register for 7am to buy beer, heck before that I was doin shift work in Texas City and there were a few bars that had a 7am happy hours that had some pretty good crowds, I kinda miss New Orleans where you can drink all night, it always seemed dumb to me to throw all the drunks out on the roads at the same time at 2am, just sayin
FlounderPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #44
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Quote:
Itís the laws directed by the TABC....Wal-Mart doesnít make the rules. Iíve also had the same thing happen to me, with my wife, at Specís liquor.
There isnít a law regarding who can or canít accompany an adult over 21 purchasing beer. I am very familiar with all the stupid TABC laws and there isnít one for this situation. Walmart and many other companies just make their own rules and donít allow employees to use common sense (which I understand given the average Walmart employee I deal with).
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #45
In-Yo-Grill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waring, TX

Texas has some dumb-A*S liquor laws and Walmart has some dumb-A*S policies on several things.
In-Yo-Grill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #46
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

Quote:
So he was 49 and showed valid ID and was buying the beer. Why does he get denied because his wife does not have her purse?
Not all policies are perfect. In fact, some actually do more harm than good. Regardless of the reasoning behind the policy someone somewhere wont like it. Walmart becomes the enemy either way. It is a no win situation, especially for the employees. The entire reason I left the company was from stress, anxiety, and never being home.

I can't speak for the current policy Walmart holds. The actual policy use to read something to the effect of all persons accompanied by purchaser must present a valid ID. There was an exclusion for small children. But it doesn't matter. People will be angry either way.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #47
JHT
Pope & Young

Just wahoo it next time.

They get fired if they give chase.
JHT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #48
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Kroger has pulled the same chit w me and my wife. I get it, but it is extremely frustrating. It only happened in one store, with one person. Another time, same store, I was checking out in a different line to buy smokes while the wife was at self checkout with id. The guy walked up to her and lost his mind as she tried to purchase a bottle of wine. Without him even asking he denied her the bottle of wine. She was just like ok... and continued checking out not wanting to deal with it. She then had a problem scanning some feminine products and the dude came over again and pulled them out of the bag and accused her of trying to steal. My wife is super embarrassed at this point as the guy is holding tampons above his head and yelling at her making a scene. At this point I realize what’s going on and start making my way over, knowing who this dip wad is and pretty much ready to take his teeth home with me. Before I could get a word out management stepped in. Explained everything, paid for everything ( including the wine) and left. I believe he got some training and never bothered us again. I was really mad at first but after thinking about it I just felt sorry for the guy.
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #49
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
And as far as blue laws, they should all be done away with as separation of church and state. There is zero reason I can by beer at 12:00 on Sunday but not 11:59 (or 6 in the morning for that matter).
Or liquor at all on Sunday? I made a similar comment on here once and was called a liberal and told to "Go back to California" since I don't like TX's laws. Apparently wanting less gov regulation in our daily lives makes me a hippie leftist?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #50
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck1 View Post
I was really mad at first but after thinking about it I just felt sorry for the guy.
Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, I would not want to be that guy. Not in a million years. There's a reason people like that feel the need to act that way and I certainly don't want to experience it. I think the same thing on here when I see a trend of negative, degrading comments from the same member(s).