Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default Mini stroke?

Wife had an episode last night that scared us both and ended up in the emergency room. They are still running tests but so far the neurologist says he thinks it was a mini stroke. Just worried we may never know the real issue or what caused it. Anyone have any experience with a mini stroke? She is mid 40s and in good shape.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
GigEmAgs07
Eight Point
 
GigEmAgs07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Val Verde, London
Default

Scary stuff, prayers up!
GigEmAgs07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
SneakyPhil
Ten Point
 
SneakyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: LANWR
Default

What's her blood pressure like? High blood pressure can lead to stroke. I am religious about taking my bp meds.

Thought the wife was having one when she was pregnant with our first child. Was on my way to work when she called me. Hauled butt back home did some quick test before going to the hospital didn't think it was one cause strength in hands/arms was the same bilaterally. She had had Bells Palsy as a teenager. Got to the hospital and the nurse thought we were crazy. I insisted that she get checked out. Other nurse agreed that one side of here face was drooping. Neurologist came in and did a lot of the same test I had. I think they did a scan but it turned out that my initial diagnosis was right. Her Bells Palsy had flared up again.

Prayers up! You did the right thing by taking her to the ER.

Last edited by SneakyPhil; 03-13-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: .
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Dirtymike
Pope & Young
 
Dirtymike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Hunt In: granger, victoria
Default

scares me mid 40s and not best shape.... well i am round and round is shape
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPhil View Post
What's her blood pressure like? High blood pressure can lead to stroke. I am religious about taking my bp meds.

Thought the wife was having one when she was pregnant with our first child. Was on my way to work when she called me. Hauled butt back home did some quick test before going to the hospital didn't think it was one cause strength in hands/arms was the same bilaterally. She had had Bells Palsy as a teenager. Got to the hospital and the nurse thought we were crazy. I insisted that she get checked out. Other nurse agreed that one side of here face was drooping. Neurologist came in and did a lot of the same test I had. I think they did a scan but it turned out that my initial diagnosis was right. Her Bells Palsy had flared up again.

Prayers up! You did the right thing by taking her to the ER.
Blood pressure was high last night but normally good. We both work out regularly and she is 112 lbs
All test and man there have been alot are all normal so far. Thank you for the input.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young
 
Uncle Saggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Wife had an episode last night that scared us both and ended up in the emergency room. They are still running tests but so far the neurologist says he thinks it was a mini stroke. Just worried we may never know the real issue or what caused it. Anyone have any experience with a mini stroke? She is mid 40s and in good shape.


Took my wife to the ER a week ago Saturday and got her home last weekend

Same crap and add co2 saturation
We are seeing specialists now
Scary stuff
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
Louis
Ten Point
 
Louis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

Have had several mini strokes. Blood pressure was main problem but cholesterol was off too which affects bp. Affected my vision a little. Was seeing kaleidoscope crystals at top left of my left eye if that makes any sense. Also would have a loss of memory till the episode stopped. Transient eschemic attack is the medical terminology. Big word for mini stroke. Left me with a short term memory loss. Very scary. Get her to ur family doctor for a good checkup. Don't wait. Not tryin to scare you anymore than need be but the sooner u get it checked out the better. Hope every thing turns out good.
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #8
vanmedic
Pope & Young
 
vanmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Van TX, East of Canton
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Mini strokes are called Transient ischemic attack “TIA” usually symptoms dissipate within an hour or two occasionally longer, then self resolve, there was temporary blockage to an artery to the brain either plaque with temporary narrowing of artery or clot that self resolved , TIA’s thereself are usually not dangerous and symptoms resolve rapidly, but often is a sign of more serious issues, don’t want to scare you here sir but fairly often if not addressed can lead to a stroke . Have they put her on blood thinners ? Usually keeping BP lower and blood thinners such as warfarin or Coumadin can keep it at bay

Last edited by vanmedic; 03-13-2019 at 06:40 PM.
vanmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Lonestar_HOYT
Ten Point
 
Lonestar_HOYT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salado, Texas
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmedic View Post
Mini strokes are called Transient ischemic attack “TIA” usually symptoms dissipate within an hour or two occasionally longer, then self resolve, there was temporary blockage to an artery to the brain either plaque with temporary narrowing of artery or clot that self resolved , TIA’s thereself are usually not dangerous and symptoms resolve rapidly, but often is a sign of more serious issues, don’t want to scare you here sir but fairly often if not addressed can lead to a stroke . Have they put her on blood thinners ?
Good post! My dad had a TIA years ago, like 20+ years ago. Think they put him on thinners and no problems since. Now he was in his late 50s or very early 60s when his occurred. Prayers sent for your bride!
Lonestar_HOYT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmedic View Post
Mini strokes are called Transient ischemic attack “TIA” usually symptoms dissipate within an hour or two occasionally longer, then self resolve, there was temporary blockage to an artery to the brain either plaque with temporary narrowing of artery or clot that self resolved , TIA’s thereself are usually not dangerous and symptoms resolve rapidly, but often is a sign of more serious issues, don’t want to scare you here sir but fairly often if not addressed can lead to a stroke . Have they put her on blood thinners ? Usually keeping BP lower and blood thinners such as warfarin or Coumadin can keep it at bay

Thank you more helpful than the docs so far :-) biggest thing is not really knowing. We are just ruling stuff out at this point.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
vanmedic
Pope & Young
 
vanmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Van TX, East of Canton
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
Good post! My dad had a TIA years ago, like 20+ years ago. Think they put him on thinners and no problems since. Now he was in his late 50s or very early 60s when his occurred. Prayers sent for your bride!
Yes sir, it’s sounds bad but TIA’s are often life savers, it gives you the warning signs instead of a significant event, and with treatment can carry on a normal life, just have to be diligent with treatment and lifestyle changes
vanmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #12
vanmedic
Pope & Young
 
vanmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Van TX, East of Canton
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Thank you more helpful than the docs so far :-) biggest thing is not really knowing. We are just ruling stuff out at this point.
Keep positive sir, even if it is a TIA, with treatment and good lifestyle changes she may never have another issue, Prayers up
vanmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #13
K. Lane
Ten Point
 
K. Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere down in Texas
Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default

I'm not a doctor so I have no answers, only have questions and the ability to pray for healing, understanding and a clear way to prevent further "episodes"
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point
 
Wall_Hanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Huffman, TX
Hunt In: Victoria & Reăl county
Default

My why had a hemorrhagic stroke and then during recovery had a few mini strokes “TIAs”. The consensus from her doctors was that her brain was spasming from the legit stroke she suffered prior to and was causing these TIA episodes. They put her on some crazy meds in the hospital to kick the spasms but I took over a year to wean off the meds after she was in the clear. She has not had one since.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #15
SneakyPhil
Ten Point
 
SneakyPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: LANWR
Default

If she gets put on meds make sure she takes them religiously. Some people get in trouble cause they feel fine and stop taking meds.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #16
Aggie
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: League City
Hunt In: Refugio / Woodsboro
Default

Prayers up.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #17
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Thank you all very much....whole thing has us rattled
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #18
Preacher Man
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: Jasper Co.
Default

Yes, however, my doc rediagnosed my episode as a type of migraine called a complex or complicated migraine. I had the exact symptoms of a TIA, except followed by the only migraine I have ever had. The headache and extreme light sensitivity lasted 6 days.

I was 41 when I had my episode. Best way to describe it was my brain went coo-coo for about ten minutes. Of all the things to forget, I couldn’t remember my wife’s name. What’s crazy, is I could have driven to the lease and gone hunting no problem. But my lovely brides name was absolutely gone.

BTW, the source of my episode was stress. Y’all might consider that angle. The good news is, when you kick out the stress, no more episodes.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #19
shiner78
Ten Point
 
shiner78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: gonzales, county
Default

Did her er doctor tell her to take 2 baby aspirin?

This happened to my mom 2 weeks ago at Weid hall. Thank God she wasn't driving! The er doctor said to start with the baby aspirin every day from now on. She goes for a stress test tomorrow

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #20
shiner78
Ten Point
 
shiner78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: gonzales, county
Default

Prayers for your wife.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #21
gatt40
Ten Point
 
gatt40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever
Default

Prayers, hope the fine the cause.
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #22
sailor
Pope & Young
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Prayers for healing......
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #23
17ncs
Pope & Young
 
17ncs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.
Default

Prayers sent
17ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 AM   #24
Bowtech Lefty
Pope & Young
 
Bowtech Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties
Default

I'll throw out another possible cause. Could be she may have produced a blood clot in her body and it traveled to her heart and if she has a patent foramen ovale (PFO) in the heart it can go to the brain. Depending on the size of clot it can cause a mini stroke or full stroke. 20% of the population have a PFO. It' s a hole in your heart that should close after you're born but doesn't in some people. I work for a hematologist and have done imaging on patients with the same symptoms as your wife.
Bowtech Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #25
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
I'll throw out another possible cause. Could be she may have produced a blood clot in her body and it traveled to her heart and if she has a patent foramen ovale (PFO) in the heart it can go to the brain. Depending on the size of clot it can cause a mini stroke or full stroke. 20% of the population have a PFO. It' s a hole in your heart that should close after you're born but doesn't in some people. I work for a hematologist and have done imaging on patients with the same symptoms as your wife.

Thank you....I think the final test they are doing today is looking for that. They are supposed to go down her esophagus and get a view from the back of her heart. Does that sound like how you would see what your talking about?
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #26
bps3040
Pope & Young
 
bps3040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Spring,Texas
Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Wife had an episode last night that scared us both and ended up in the emergency room. They are still running tests but so far the neurologist says he thinks it was a mini stroke. Just worried we may never know the real issue or what caused it. Anyone have any experience with a mini stroke? She is mid 40s and in good shape.
My Buddy had one last year, 49 years old. He got double vision....told him it might not go away. His brain did its own bypass. Doctors could not explain it. Said he was a lucky man
Prayers up. They definitely worked for him
bps3040 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #27
Bowtech Lefty
Pope & Young
 
Bowtech Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Thank you....I think the final test they are doing today is looking for that. They are supposed to go down her esophagus and get a view from the back of her heart. Does that sound like how you would see what your talking about?
Yes that is a transesophageal echocardiogram. They should be able to rule out PFO with that. Sending prayers for your wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
Bowtech Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #28
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Thank you!!! Just took her back
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #29
TxDispatcher
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Conroe, Tx
Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Thank you!!! Just took her back
Just seeing this thread...I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Update us as you know something, RWB
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #30
WhiplashTX
Eight Point
 
WhiplashTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: in a cave with bee's
Hunt In: Menard
Default

As already stated, if it was a stroke, she either has circulatory issues or it was a blood clot. Any history of injuries or surgeries? Even soft tissue damage can cause a blood clot.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
KevBow
Ten Point
 
KevBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Get her arteries checked for blockage ASAP. My dad has had five tias/strokes since Father’s Day two years ago. His corated sp? Artery was 100% blocked. If they would’ve caught it sooner they could’ve put a stint in or tried cleaning it out. And he’s lucky that the blood has found its own way back to brain. So from now on he’s on super strong blood thinners and hopes that more plaque doesn’t break off and go back to brain to cause another
KevBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #32
Cullbuck
Four Point
 
Cullbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: setx
Hunt In: setx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
Yes, however, my doc rediagnosed my episode as a type of migraine called a complex or complicated migraine. I had the exact symptoms of a TIA, except followed by the only migraine I have ever had. The headache and extreme light sensitivity lasted 6 days.

I was 41 when I had my episode. Best way to describe it was my brain went coo-coo for about ten minutes. Of all the things to forget, I couldn’t remember my wife’s name. What’s crazy, is I could have driven to the lease and gone hunting no problem. But my lovely brides name was absolutely gone.

BTW, the source of my episode was stress. Y’all might consider that angle. The good news is, when you kick out the stress, no more episodes.
This same thing happens to my wife, she loses all perifial vision and has slurred speech. Pretty scary stuff. Her headache normally only last 2 days.
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #33
bloodstick
Ten Point
 
bloodstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hunt In: All over Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Wife had an episode last night that scared us both and ended up in the emergency room. They are still running tests but so far the neurologist says he thinks it was a mini stroke. Just worried we may never know the real issue or what caused it. Anyone have any experience with a mini stroke? She is mid 40s and in good shape.
I'll be sure to pray for you guys. Its a scary situation.

My mother just had an incident in August 2018. Shes 56 and in relatively good health besides being a smoker for 30 years. She leaned over to tell my little sister who lives there goodnight and felt a pain in her head like a headache. She instantly got dizzy and hit the floor and quit breathing. My sister did chest compressions for 9 minutes until the EMS showed up. Then the hospital couldn't treat her so they lifelight her to another hospital in Lafayette. Turns out an aneurysm ruptured in her brain and bled out causing a stroke.
The amazing part is the odds she beat to live through it.
My sister was the only one home when it happened. If she was not there, the outcome for sure would have been death.
Doctors told us that 7 out of 10 of these types of strokes, the patient does not even make it to the hospital (much less two hospitals in one night). And of the 3 that do, 2 never walk out. She ended up going through a long procedure packing the aneurysm with titanium coils to clot it and stop the bleeding.
Add on top, there are no lasting effects besides the temporary short term memory loss for a few months and a blood clot that showed up in her right eye causing blurry vision. Since then, her memory has come back, has no speech impediments or facial sag, and the blood clot is clearing up.
God takes care of his children and Mom is a living testament to His love.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #34
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
Yes that is a transesophageal echocardiogram. They should be able to rule out PFO with that. Sending prayers for your wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
Thanks again for all the info....no PFO was found. Waiting to find out next steps and see if they order any more tests.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #35
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young
 
Bily Lovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fulshear & Padre Is
Default

Praying
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #36
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Thanks for all the prayers.....just got her home. Final answer was she had a TIA but not sure why or what caused it. Doc put her on daily aspirin, blood thinner, and cholesterol reducer. Was a very scary deal watching your spouse not be able to speak and not understand and unable to articulate what's happening. Thanks again
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #37
doghouse
Pope & Young
 
doghouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Goldthwaite
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

TIA's can be telling you you're about to have a full blown stroke. My brother had a TIA stroke about 18 years ago at the age of 50. Went numb on one side of his body. Went to the ER and got hooked up to the IV's etc. Feeling came back but a little later , while still hooked up, he had the big one. Always go to the ER would be my recommendation. It saved his life IMO. His was all blood pressure related.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com