Bending 1/8" metal into a ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bending 1/8" metal into a ring

Here's the project. I have a 20' piece of steel landscape edging 4" tall and 1/8" thick. I want to make a ring between 4 and 5 feet in diameter to put around a flagpole, and fill with crushed granite I have in a pile from when I jackhammered in the rock.

I understand diameter x pi plus 6" to overlap, then drill 2 or 4 small holes at each end to bolt it together. What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to bend it into a circular ring without having it open under tension like a spring and killing somebody.

I've called some local metal fabricators and none have a rolling machine. I'm thinking about making a bending jig with a piece of firewood mounted above a 2x6 I can stand on, and work it with small bends.

Anybody done this and have a better idea?

Bill if you have a neighbor with a big tractor you can chain the steel to the back tire and slowly drive forward and bend it perfectly. Used to make hay rings that way.

Comment

Great idea. Even if it's a big letter C of larger diameter, bending it the rest of the way into a circle would be easier.

How would you chain a piece of 4" wide metal on a tractor tire?

I was also thinking about cutting slots with an angle grinder every 23" and folding it into a 5 pointed star (10 straights). That would be around 5' across the opposite points. Building couple of angle templates out of a 2x8 to get the inside and outside angels correct would be easy. I wonder what a star shape a couple inches above the ground would look like?

Man, I love being retired and having time to think about things like this- God is good!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        Bill if you have a neighbor with a big tractor you can chain the steel to the back tire and slowly drive forward and bend it perfectly. Used to make hay rings that way.
        Thats a cool hack never thought about it

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Great idea. Even if it's a big letter C of larger diameter, bending it the rest of the way into a circle would be easier.

How would you chain a piece of 4" wide metal on a tractor tire?

I was also thinking about cutting slots with an angle grinder every 23" and folding it into a 5 pointed star (10 straights). That would be around 5' across the opposite points. Building couple of angle templates out of a 2x8 to get the inside and outside angels correct would be easy. I wonder what a star shape a couple inches above the ground would look like?

Man, I love being retired and having time to think about things like this- God is good!
          Lay the metal in front of the tractor with a chain layed under it about a foot from the end and drive over it until the front end of metal is just past center and the chain is center of wheel. Now run the end of chain through the bottom of tractor wheel and hook it back into the links as tight as possible. Start driving forward slowly and the metal will jus come around with the wheel and make a perfect circle. Hopefully this makes sense. Takes about 1 minute.

Comment

Makes since now. Wonder how it would work on a skid steer wheel?

Comment

Bill, please show pics during process.

Comment

Makes since now. Wonder how it would work on a skid steer wheel?
                I think it would be to small. The idea is to have a tractor tire that is the same or close in circumference as the circle that you are looking for.

Comment

Gumbo man is right, but a decent ratchet strap is a little easier to work with.

It’s gonna unroll to larger than the tire, but I’m afraid a skid steer tire (~34” tall) would be too small. If it’s too big, it’s easy to pull down. If it’s too small, it’ll always look like a fat girl in yoga pants.

That stuff bends pretty easy, I bet you could do it by hand with a few tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could always trace a circle in the dirt using your flagpole and some rope as a compass, drive stakes in along the inner circ, and bend that sucker around them screwing the metal too them as you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Gumbo man is right, but a decent ratchet strap is a little easier to work with.

It’s gonna unroll to larger than the tire, but I’m afraid a skid steer tire (~34” tall) would be too small. If it’s too big, it’s easy to pull down. If it’s too small, it’ll always look like a fat girl in yoga pants.

That stuff bends pretty easy, I bet you could do it by hand with a few tools.

Never thought about a ratchet strap. That would be easier for that light guage stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        You could always trace a circle in the dirt using your flagpole and some rope as a compass, drive stakes in along the inner circ, and bend that sucker around them screwing the metal too them as you go.

I’m afraid of getting it 3/4 way around on the stakes, one pulls out and the having a piece of high-speed steel flying in my direction.

I’ll try in the shop first and see what type of curve I can get.

Comment

1/8"X 4" steel can be bent by hand and bolted or welded easily.

Comment

I’m afraid of getting it 3/4 way around on the stakes, one pulls out and the having a piece of high-speed steel flying in my direction.

I’ll try in the shop first and see what type of curve I can get.

I think you’ll find it easier than you think.

Comment

I'd listen to Moser. I just replaced all the metal edging around my flower beds. It's not as springy as you think. It's a soft metal.

Comment

Working...
                              X