Feeding critters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding critters

I have a friend who buys old candy ground up in 1000 lb bags and uses it as feed for hogs, deer or anything else that happens upon the troughs of candy. I brought up the fact that many hunt in order to get "organic" meat and feeding these critters the "candy" will defeat the purpose of clean/ organic meat so to speak. I wouldnt eat the crap in that candy...but essentially the hunter who shoots and eats what eats that is eating that crap anyway. This is old starburst, skittles,snickers etc, much if it still in wrappers which ****** me off because these candy wrappers will wind up everywhere a critters poops. Outside of the littering🙄, while good bait and much cheaper than corn @$200/ton. It cannot be good for critters or people.
    What say you green screen.

Starburst flavored deer?!? Sounds delicious

Comment

I know several feed yards that feed this exact same thing to cattle. I have some pictures but cant find them.

Comment

Wonder how many skittles my feeder will hold. Feedlots been feeding cattle old bread, chips and tortillas forever.

Comment

I had some property leased in Groveton from an old man that would go to Lufkin and pick up boxes of candy from a candy plant. He would just throw those boxes on the ground and his cows would eat all the old candy. Wrapper and all. Those cow patties had everything from Mary Jane to Chic O Stick wrappers in them

Comment

Y’all start filling feeders with skittles and you’ll just think cows breaking into your feed pens were bad. I love those things!

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              Wonder how many skittles my feeder will hold. Feedlots been feeding cattle old bread, chips and tortillas forever.
              Bread,chips and tortillas are made from WAY different ingredients. You cannot even pronounce some of the ingredients in candy today.

Comment

I’d like to feed this to my kids. Way cheaper than Chick-Fil-A and we have good dental insurance.

As far as deer go, I would prefer to have a little protein.

Comment

Taste the rainbow.

Comment

I just wanna know where you're buying $200/ton corn ?

Comment

I’m pretty sure MOST of us don’t hunt for organic meat. I’m not even sure I hunt to kill anymore. I haven’t shot a deer in 3-4 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
                        I just wanna know where you're buying $200/ton corn ?
                        you've read it wrong.
                        I am not buying corn for $200/ton. The crushed candy i am speaking of is $200/ton as opposed to the price of corn. This is being fed in liu of corn. Much cheaper...but all the crap in it.

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                        I’m pretty sure MOST of us don’t hunt for organic meat. I’m not even sure I hunt to kill anymore. I haven’t shot a deer in 3-4 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I am sorry you have not shot a deer in so long but here in my home venison is a staple. So wether or not you hunt specifically for organic meat. You are hunting for the most part deer who forage or fed corn that was GMO grown. So while GMO is food to avoid, it is better than stale old candy being fed to critters.
                        Come on man...get out there and lay some bucks down. Good luck this season.
                        Last edited by Tony Pic; 03-29-2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I've seen candy fed to cattle. I didn't think very much of the guy doing it. The candy thing was only one of the reasons.

Comment

Feeding corn and medicated protein makes deer meat not near as organic as it was years ago.

Comment

If I could find a deer that had been eating Heath Bar Blizzards, that would be my target !

The amount of corn any one deer can eat from a spin feeder when 3/5 other deer are competing is not gonna change that deer much. Some of this thinking is way over complicated.
                              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-29-2023, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X