$3,850 hog............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$3,850 hog............

I have been catching hogs with dogs since the 80's. We went again on Saturday and I had the most expensive hog hunt of my life. The dogs struck him fairly quick and the chase lasted about 1/2 a mile. We knew it was probably a pretty good hog or the chase would have been much shorter. They had him bayed up several times but this joker just kept breaking. He was in some really thick stuff so he had every advantage. On the next to last bay we heard a couple of dogs that sounded like they got cut. We got to the last bay and the hog was in a creek that was about 3 foot deep and basically under a tree that had grown out over the water. My buddy Josh and I could not see the hog. My brother-in-law ( the guy in the picture ) walked about 15-20 feet further up the creek to where he could see. He hollered back he is a good'en and has plenty of teeth. We turned the bulldog loose and the whole thing was over pretty quick. We pulled him out of the creek, which ****ed near killed all 3 of us, took a few pictures, and start trying to find the other 2 dogs that were not there. I found my Kamikaze dog and she had fat going out of her stomach. I checked her and there were no intestines just fat. The fat was covered in dirt, leaves, and sticks so I just cut it off. I put my finger in the hole to see if it had cut her through the muscle but could not find a hole. She did not act like she was in bad shape and was walking around. Found my brother-in-laws dog about 100 yards up the creek. She had a hole that started in her chest and exited behind her front leg but it did not puncture the chest cavity. We carried both dogs out roughly a mile. Got home and when I took Kazi out of the box some of her intestines were coming out. I quickly took her to the emergency vet in Tyler. The vet tech started with we need to make a decision. Are we going to do surgery or put her down. I was thinking lady if I was going to put her down I would have shot her in the head at home. I would not have made her suffer for an additional 45 minutes to drive her up here. I had to pay $4,000 down with the bill expected to be between $4,000 and $8,000. Turns out the dog had 3 broken ribs, a 4+ inch hole in her diaphragm, and her intestines out....but the intestines were not damaged and once they got her diaphragm repaired and the air pulled out of the chest cavity she was fine. Total bill ended up only being $3,856.85. In all these years of hunting I have never had a dog killed in the woods but this one got fairly close. The other dog is also doing fine and has started putting a little weight on her leg per my brother-in-law. The picture sucks but we were kind of in a hurry. I would guestimate he weighing about 300 pounds. Some pictures make an animal look extra large. This one made him look extra small. I have caught a lot of hogs in my life and contrary to popular view very few wild hogs ever make it to that weight. He was a tank. Glad to catch him but hated that the dogs got hurt. Our dogs will stop one from running but will not try to catch anything on their own that is over 100 pounds. They wait for the bulldog. In this case they were just in a bad thick spot and got caught but both should live to hunt another day..

-john

Last edited by TX_Hoghunter; 03-27-2023, 08:06 AM.

Glad the pups are doing good.

Comment

Man, that sounds brutal. I have a lot of words that come to mind, but they wouldn't add any value to this thread. Glad your dogs didn't die, congrats on the trophy size pig!

Comment

Dang
        Glad dogs are doing ok

Comment

dang man. Nice hog and glad the pups are doing well.

Comment

Dad gum! Glad to hear everyone is going to be ok!

Comment

Those are some cutters for sure, glad the dogs are on the mend.

Comment

Glad dogs are doing ok. Sounds like Kazi needs a vacation for a while.That's a mean old hog with some major cutters.

Comment

When I hunted with dogs I found out quickly it wasn’t the size of the hog it was the fight I. A hog. A few I remember that were tough on dogs were shy of 200 pounds. And you are right. A 300# hog is rare. I have never been around one that touched 300# that was not barred. Glad the pup is on the mend

Comment

Bummer on the dogs, but they live for chasing pigs like that. Glad they're doing ok!

Comment

Glad your dogs are going to be okay. Makes a guy want to shoot more pigs just for payback !

Comment

Glad the dogs are good. If I were to guess, those dogs would be raring to go this weekend if you let them, regardless of injuries. I have never hunted hogs with dogs, but one thing I noticed when we lion hunted was the dogs were so focused on getting that lion, they absolutely didn't care what happened to themselves. Dogs that are born for this are truly amazing to watch.

Comment

Incredible story. The incisors on that hog look viscous.

Comment

Crazy stuff. I guess as the saying goes sometimes unfortunately. Play silly games, pay silly prices. That’s been my personal experience as well lol. Nice hog too

Comment

Yeah that sucks, been there done that. Just not as expensive as you. It makes you not wanna go next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X