Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did/do your kids play college sports?

Any sport? Athletic scholarship?

Did you put them in lessons for that sport while younger?

My daughter is hyperfocused on wanting to be a college softball player and trying to find the right path.

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
    Any sport? Athletic scholarship?

Did you put them in lessons for that sport while younger?

My daughter is hyperfocused on wanting to be a college softball player and trying to find the right path.
    My son played college baseball. He was in lessons on & off throughout high school. He also played select baseball from 10 years old through high school. He got an academic scholarship & athletic. The academic scholarship was worth more & it was not close. Maybe football or basketball would have been different.

Comment

Currently playing college football

Need to have baseline athleticism and playing multiple sports helps

Would highly suggest year-round conditioning and working out when possible

Definitely engage in skills training in the off-season

Create a Twitter account, monitored by the parents that displays academics and athletic information, post videos of working out and game time plays… this seem to have drummed up a lot of attention from coaches nationwide.

Good luck to your athlete

Comment

Daughter 1 played college soccer
        Got good money-mostly academic
        Trainer and select ball from 12 on

Daughter 2 college rodeo
        Trainer and was a trainer
        Academic scholly but no sports money

Comment

My dad played football in college, I played football in college, my son played football in college. None of us had lessons.

My son's wife played college volleyball and basketball. She didn't have lessons.

Comment

My youngest son played golf in U of H Victoria. Yes we got him lessons. Yes he went there on scholarship.

Comment

My oldest son played 2 years of JUCO baseball as a pitcher. Was going to transfer after that to continue playing but a shoulder injury made him decide it wasn’t worth the risk of messing up his shoulder worse and having bigger problems for the rest of his life. He played from age 4-9 in rec leagues and then select baseball until high school. He had a private pitching coach from 10+.

Comment

I played football and my wife played volleyball in college. We were both multisport athletes at smaller high schools and we are both hs coaches now and highly encourage kids to be multisport athletes. My oldest daughter plays college volleyball now, but played basketball for me and ran track in high school and played club volleyball. My youngest is a freshman in hs and is following in her sisters footsteps. They both love volleyball but playing the other sports gives them a break and keeps them from getting burned out and cuts down on overuse injuries like swinging at volleyballs and throwing baseballs/softballs

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

My Dad played football & baseball on full athletic scholarship. Myself and our oldest Son played football on full athletic scholarship, youngest Son could have but had no desire and he’s the only one that ever did camps or had a trainer, go figure.

Comment

I played waterpolo in college. Started playing club/year round at 9. Got decent scholarships till my 3rd rotator cuff tear

Comment

My daughter is a freshman in college on full scholarship for softball. This will be her 15th year playing. She also played club volleyball for a several years , unfortunately at some point you have to choose a primary sport and she stuck with softball.
                      She played league ball until her second year at 10u and moved to travel ball. She started pitching lessons the summer before her first year of 10U which is when you start kid pitch. She has had private hitting and pitching lessons ever since. She no longer hits so no more lessons but she still gets back to her pitching coach every now and then to work on some things. We were fortunate because my wife was a high school softball coach and she played college so we had lots of connections with girls that my wife coached through the years and they in turn offered free or reduced cost lessons. Softball is crazy competitive especially in Texas. Even the top tier best athletes are in the cages getting privates once or twice a week for hitting or pitching. It’s just part of the grind. We spent a lot of money on softball between the lessons and traveling but I wouldn’t change anything about it. My kids don’t play sports for scholarships, they play because they are competitive and love the game. If she would have been done after her last pitch her senior year it wouldn’t have changed anything about how we have done things.
                      I got to watch her pitch today and it’s even more fun as they move up in competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It’s funny reading this as I’m in Spokane Washington with one of my daughters for club volleyball while my wife is in Kansas City with another daughter and my father in law is with her twin in Reno. Parents worried about scholarships save your club/select dues and pay cash for your kids education so you don’t have to go down the road of being labeled a psycho parent. You and your kind and everybody else will thank you!

Comment

Im very interested in the responses here. I will be honest.. I think if a kid has the ability and work ethic it will happen. I have 8 year olds. And living in aledo every kid that can catch a baseball are on a select team lol. It makes me laugh.. I am putting my kids in as many sports as I can and gonna see what happnens.

Also Im assuming your daughter is at least high school aged, so im no where near same boat.. That being said both my sisters got scholarships to Tarleton and neither one of them were elite at soft ball. Maybe call that coach lol

Comment

Your in Aledo! It’s in the water or I’m sure you have a buddy that will start them over a kid that have better talent. Money or daddy ball will get you further than talent any day. Sorry to say but your just getting started.

Comment

If your daughter truly wants it, there is always a school that needs a player. It might not be SEC or big 12 but there is always a school out there that needs a player.

Comment

Working...
                              X