$3,850 hog............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
    It has been my experience that little 165# ancient hogs with monster cutters kill more dogs than the 300# hog that’s got thumb length cutters.
    Brutes are just a blunt object but it's them slippery, oily lil sum beaches that always cause trouble in everything. Glad ya'll got him out of the woods and the pups will heal.

She's a gorgeous leopard dog, if I had more time for one I'd be keeping my eyes peeled for the announcement on that litter!

Comment

Crazy. Glad the dog made it

Comment

Glad an old timer like you can still get out there and chase those guys, jk John.

Comment

Glad your dogs are okay!

I don't know much about hog dogs, but I've seen pix of ballistic type vests on some before, or is that something that's not used much?

Comment

Thanks everyone. We have caught plenty of the smaller 175 type pound hogs. To which one causes more damage it depends on where you are at. In the really thick stuff I have found that the big boys do the most damage. In stuff a little more open it is the smaller ones. The 200 pounders with 2 inch teeth that can still move. I look at it this way We caught a NFL lineman. Yea he does not move all that well but I would hate to fight him in a phone booth. The 150-200 pounders are athletic linebackers. They are both strong and fast. Under 150 are cornerbacks. Athletic but not really looking for a fight.

On the vest issue. They are great for catchdogs but not worth a flip for bay dogs in my opinion. A good bay dog will stop a hog from running but will not try to catch one until the bulldog catches. When you start running them with vest you have 2 issues. The first is heat stroke. Hard to run a marathon in a coat. Second they start thinking that the hog cannot hurt them, that they are invincible. This leads to them trying to catch big hogs when they have no business doing so. My dogs are often a mile from me. If they caught at that point it might take us 45 minutes to get there. It would lead to dogs being hurt and or killed.

Oh and for the best news......Kamikaze has now pooped twice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never thought I would be so happy over dog poop..........

Thanks again everyone. She is doing great.

-john

Comment

Awesome!
              Glad she’s doing better!

Comment

great write up

Comment

Thanks mtac767.

Also quick update on Kamikaze. She is doing great. She still does not know that she is hurt...lol. She is also tired of living in my laundry room. A few more days and I will takeout the staples.

Thanks again everyone.

-john

Comment

Update. First Kamikaze is 100% fine. Second I have had the hogs head soaking in water since this happened. Checked it today and it is about ready to do a euro on it.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                      Man, that sounds brutal. I have a lot of words that come to mind, but they wouldn't add any value to this thread. Glad your dogs didn't die, congrats on the trophy size pig!
                      I'm thinking the same thing. I'll just shut up now.
                      Last edited by Monark; 07-28-2023, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Glad the dogs are OK! I have a Jack Russell Terror that I use for tracking critters. About a month ago he pulled the leash out of my hand when the pig jumped up and took off after it. I just knew he was gonna get tore up, but he ended up baying that pig 3 times til I finally put it down for good and came out unscathed.

Bisch

Comment

Glad Kazi is ok

Comment

Glad your dog is doing good. In over 30 years of running hogs I lost 3 dogs. Two were young and dumb and the third got caught in some white brush by a big boar. Seems cruel maybe, but my dogs loved chasing hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                              Glad your dogs are okay!

I don't know much about hog dogs, but I've seen pix of ballistic type vests on some before, or is that something that's not used much?
                              It's way too hot right now for a vest I'd think

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post

It's way too hot right now for a vest I'd think
                                Yep running them with a vest is a sure fire way to get dead dogs. Either they overheat or because you run them in a vest they get to thinking that they cannot get killed and that leads to foolish decision.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X