Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cactus buck, pigs, some doe, and a lot of wind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cactus buck, pigs, some doe, and a lot of wind...

Hunted the Llano/Gillespie County line with some friends this weekend. We put a pop up on a platform I built Friday night.

Saturday morning was incredibly windy. Had to hold the hubs of the blind and after about an hour we just gave up after I shot a small pig that ran the does off that were at my feeder.

Took the blind down and just brushed in for the afternoon hunt.

Shot a couple of does and passed on 3-4 young bucks. Got a text from a buddy that he had shot a nice buck but had no blood and was worried he gut shot it. Left my area and went to help him and found very solid blood right away. He had been looking about 30 yards to the right of where it actually ran. Found buck tucked up under a tree about 100 yards back and he still had velvet. Great 10pt for our area though.

Hung him up and he had almost no balls. Just these little buds that looked like a terrier’s face.

Not sure if that’s a true cactus or not, but his face and body looked like a doe, just had big antlers that were still in light velvet.

Fun hunt. Total tally: 3 does, 1 buck, 2 pigs, and 234 beers. Also saw a lot of young and promising bucks, so all in all a great weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get much better than that.

Comment

Man, we have a bunch of Cactus bucks this year, I'm not sure what the deal is..We hunt between Mason and Llano.

Congrats on the weekend

Comment

yesterday in mason I had a huge body 3 point in full velvet as well . Never would come to bow range . was a true cull for sure

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
          Man, we have a bunch of Cactus bucks this year, I'm not sure what the deal is..We hunt between Mason and Llano.

Congrats on the weekend
          Definitely seems like I've heard about them a lot this year. It was weird because we walked up on him and his body was huge, but then we all noticed his neck wasn't swollen and everyone assumed he was a youngster that was somehow really big. Plus the velvet.

Hung him up to skin and my buddy just yells, "no balls!" and everything makes more sense.

Comment

I shot a cactus buck in llano, maybe its natures way of controlling the population. Do you have any pictures of yall field dressing that cactus deer? I remember the anatomy of mine was pretty weird.
            Last edited by meat>horns; 11-05-2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Congrats on a great weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by meat>horns View Post
                I shot a cactus buck in llano, maybe its natures way of controlling the population. Do you have any pictures of yall field dressing that cactus deer? I remember the anatomy of mine was pretty weird.
                I don't think I took pictures while they were dressing him out. I was super thirsty.

Comment

Interesting on that buck. Great set of horns, but no juevos??!

Comment

We have a lot of velvet bucks in Gillespie county as well. Without going into much detail because I really don't know much about it, the biologist said it is hypogonadism, which decreases testosterone levels and causes the decreasing gonads and makes them sterile. They get it from certain plants or moss growing in that soil type.

I have never seen it like I am this year. I probably saw 10 bucks in velvet last weekend alone. We shot a few and all were missing the gonads.

Comment

Heck of a weekend and cool buck!

Comment

Wow, that Buck/Doe looked exactly like the one I killed 2 weeks ago. Only mine was just a 7 point.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I killed a nice 10 point last year that had testicles like the ones you posted. VERY small. He was a very weird deer. HUGE body, very good horns, but the skinniest neck I have ever seen on a big mature buck. Mine shed his velvet normally however.

Comment

cactus

here are a few we have...
                            Attached Files

Comment

another
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X