No announcement yet.

For you trailer experts...Bearing Buddies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The theory behind bearing buddies (or Bering buddies for Randy)... was started for boat trailers to keep water out of the hubs. The bearing buddies fill the hub completely with grease and the spring on the front cap keeps positive pressure on the hub so water can't get in. They also have a weep hole so they cannot be overpressured. If you put too much grease in them, it simply pops out the weep hole in the hub. This prevents the bearing buddy from blowing the back seal. I like 'em and they are pretty much flawless if used properly.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
      IMO Every trailer should be like any other vehicle on the road and require a annual inspection certificate before it can be licensed for the road , I could start another thread about trailer horror stories.
      Bad hubs
      Bearings
      Wiring
      Brakes
      Battery
      Tires
      Yes Sir,,check out this brake rotor thats on a 12k axle. It was making a little noise according to his driver..
      I think it got a little warm..LOL
      Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't use them as a substitute for packing the bearing. Just a little added insurance to make sure bearings are plenty greased.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          The theory behind bearing buddies (or Bering buddies for Randy)... was started for boat trailers to keep water out of the hubs. The bearing buddies fill the hub completely with grease and the spring on the front cap keeps positive pressure on the hub so water can't get in. They also have a weep hole so they cannot be overpressured. If you put too much grease in them, it simply pops out the weep hole in the hub. This prevents the bearing buddy from blowing the back seal. I like 'em and they are pretty much flawless if used properly.
          ^^^^ This. Not necessary for trailer wheels that don't get dunked on a regular basis.

Comment

Thanks for the input. This is NOT a boat trailer, and the utility railer won't get used that often. I just could not see how the grease with a Bearing Buddy could get through the close tolerances of the spindle from the outside bearing to the inside bearing enough to do any good. I think I will do without the Bering Buddies on this trailer and just repck it every couple of years.

Comment

Gota agree with Saltwaterslick/Monark...I was gona mention same

Repack bearing on schedule...Miles/Months/years.

When you repack Cleanliness is Mandatory.Proper Quality Grease too.Not old can of grease thats been around and had Dirty fingers in.

I monitor my bearings temp with IR temp gun Just cause (I got one) but if bearing housing is (too hot to touch), something is wrong.(Thats a old saying)

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Thanks for the input. This is NOT a boat trailer, and the utility railer won't get used that often. I just could not see how the grease with a Bearing Buddy could get through the close tolerances of the spindle from the outside bearing to the inside bearing enough to do any good. I think I will do without the Bering Buddies on this trailer and just repck it every couple of years.
                I sea you did it again....nobody was rail against your railer Trandy.

Comment

You can blow out the inside seal with bearing buddies. I've also blown the inside seal with the hubs that have the zert on the inside too.

Both styles keep the hub full of grease and it gets distributed into the bearings as the hub rotates.

Comment

I just repacked my lowboy's bearings last month. I like to do them yearly before I start using it a lot. (Deer season) No bulgiebear-ings buds (sorry Randy!) for me unless its going to be submerged into salt water. I work with bearing ever day out here at work. One thing we try hard to do is not over pack bearing housings. To MUCH grease will not let the heat to dissipate.

It sucks to be on the side if I10 on a Friday evening doing bearings. One time years ago is all it took, and I PM yearly!!
                    Lesto!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

it gets through the outside bearing the same way it does when you hit the bearing with a bearing packer, the trick is to fill the void in the hub between the 2 bearings prior to installing the outer bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        I wouldn't use them as a substitute for packing the bearing. Just a little added insurance to make sure bearings are plenty greased.
                        Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                          I just repacked my lowboy's bearings last month. I like to do them yearly before I start using it a lot. (Deer season) No bulgiebear-ings buds (sorry Randy!) for me unless its going to be submerged into salt water. I work with bearing ever day out here at work. One thing we try hard to do is not over pack bearing housings. To MUCH grease will not let the heat to dissipate.

It sucks to be on the side if I10 on a Friday evening doing bearings. One time years ago is all it took, and I PM yearly!!

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          it gets through the outside bearing the same way it does when you hit the bearing with a bearing packer, the trick is to fill the void in the hub between the 2 bearings prior to installing the outer bearing.
                          Good input! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Bingo. The spring keeps the pressure within the hub higher than the atmospheric pressure outside of the hub so that should their be a leak, the leak occurs outward and water never enters the hub. If cleaned out and re-lubed annually they are dang near bulletproof.

Comment

Working...
                            X