Breckenridge CO report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breckenridge CO report

Left 9/19 at 4am and rolled back into the drive just after midnight last night.

Going up the smoke haze (guessing that was what it was) was like the pics of the LA smog. Couldn't see the mountains from near as far away as normal.

We stayed in town and it is a neat place, little too many people for me but not terrible.

The aspens were in full color and by the end of the week a lot had lost most of their leaves but still plenty of color on the mountains.

We drove over Boreas Pass one day, beautiful scenery but it is a narrow road in places and if you go up from Breckenridge side you are the one hugging the drop. Was in the wife's Highlander and saw all kinds of cars making the trip. From Jeeps to BMWs

French Gulch is supposed to be scenic but they had a gate not far up it so we turned around and looked for other options

We fly fished one day with Mountain Anglers, son had fly fished once before and daughter's bf never had. Think we fished the Platte. We all caught fish (rainbows and browns) and had a great time. Think both my son and daughter's bf have the bug to fly fish more
    Also had lunch in Hartsel at a hole in the wall bar/cafe. Highline Cafe and Saloon if you are near there the burgers were great.

Drove over to Georgetown up I70 and over Guanella Pass another day. Took 6 up through Keystone/ Arapaho Basin and it was an adventure, twisting and turning up the mountains. Guanella is paved so you can imagine the traffic and people on it.

Took a trip over to Vail one day, scenery getting there and back was awesome. Lot's of eating places and souveneir shops

If you plan on going to Breckenridge in late September check and see when they shut down the gondola cars as there is a dead spot between summer and winter operations and we landed on it. I would have liked to ride up to the top and take in the view. Also had the slide/coaster thing shut down.
    Also be aware that they charge you for bags at the grocery stores, just a dime each but threw me off when the clerk asked how many bags I had and then keyed it in register. Told her I would have put more in each bag if I had known that

We saw some critters during our stay, mule deer, birds, and such. Also saw a red fox cross the street in the crosswalk on the light like it knew exactly what it was supposed to do

Saw some sheep but it was 5 domestics on the ROW of I70 on the way to Vail

Did not see or hear any elk which was a little bit of a let down for me as I really wanted to hear some bugles. It was pretty warm to me so probably had a little to do with it. Lows in the high 30's to low 40's and up to mid 70's plus on most days. I went out early and late to places that looked like there might be elk and watched and listened too.
    Did not see many horns strapped on any rigs headed home either.

Highlight of the critter viewing was seeing 3 moose on the Alma side of Hoosier Pass yesterday morning.
    We did see plenty of pronghorns driving across New Mexico as well as deer and prarie dogs

We took quite a bit of pics on our trip but I will have to post some later as my laptop decided to go on strike mid week. Sounds like hard drive issue so taking it in tomorrow to see what options are.

The only evidence of a fire besides the constant haze was smoke we saw Friday on the north side of the mountains across I70 at Frisco.

One thing we did not do is rent bikes and be shuttled up to Vail Pass and ride back, that would probably be a fun day as it is a dowhill ride

We stopped at Royal Gorge on the way home, neat place but doubt I would pay $21 ea to see it again. Son said he must be scared of heights because when he looked down through the cracks he didn't like it. I will admit that I tried to stay close to the steel runners under the boards too
    Wind was swaying it a little too

Overall it was a great week except for the trip home semed like it would never end.
    I love Texas and it is Home but you would not have to twist my arm real hard to get me to live in the mountains.
    Surprisingly LOTS more Trump supporters up there than I would have guessed too.

Breckenridge CO report

Did you stop on top of Boreas and check out the history?

Love that part of CO. The bike ride is worth the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
      Did you stop on top of Boreas and check out the history?

Love that part of CO. The bike ride is worth the time.
      Unfortunately no, there was a crowd. No place to park

Comment

Sounds like y'all had a great trip.

Pretty entertaining to sit at the front of city market (Krogers) and watch all the Texans react to paying for shopping bags

Comment

Sounds like y’all had a great time. My wife and I go in late November of every year. I plan on fly fishing this trip. Is Mountain Anglers the fly shop in town? How was the guide?

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
            Sounds like y’all had a great time. My wife and I go in late November of every year. I plan on fly fishing this trip. Is Mountain Anglers the fly shop in town? How was the guide?
            Mountain Anglers and Breckenridge outfitters (Orvis store) are both in town. I've never had a bad experience with either.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
              Mountain Anglers and Breckenridge outfitters (Orvis store) are both in town. I've never had a bad experience with either.
              Thanks, I’ll check them out.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Nice time to be in the Rockies.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
                  Yes we used Mountain Anglers, Anthony was our guide.

He had plenty of patience

Comment

Where’s the pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                      Where’s the pictures?
                      Laptop is in the repair shop, possibly getting new hard drive.

Been posting from phone

I will update when I get it back and have a way to upload pics

Comment

Sounds like a great trip! I'm jealous! All I did was get rained on for 5 days...

Comment

Awesome !!! Glad you had a great trip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd like to retire in Breck. I have a nephew that lives there. I went twice last year and was there, back in July. Decided to try Silverton out last week. Breck is still my favorite. I usually forget to take bags for groceries, but remember when I get there to pack as much in each bag as I can!

Comment

Sounds like a great trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X