New Braunfels - Need Recs Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Braunfels - Need Recs Please

My wife (no pics) scored a couple of free nights at a hotel in New Braunfels. This is a last minute deal and we are heading out this (Friday) evening. We do not plan on doing much of anything tonight, but I'm looking for recommendations to pass the time tomorrow. Will have 2 kids (5 & 8) in tow. Not sure what is/isn't open. Some place to get our feet wet and get a picnic lunch would be fine, we are just looking to get out of town for the day.

Any and all recommendations welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Gruene. Park in one place and walk the entire little town. Walking distance to the river as well. Gruene River grill for dinner.

Comment

I believe some tubing spots are supposed to be opening this weekend along the river. Check online.

Comment

All the bars downtown NB are now open I noticed that yesterday. Rivers are open for floating as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
          I believe some tubing spots are supposed to be opening this weekend along the river. Check online.

Gruene. Get the kids an ice cream at the General store. Gruene hall live
          Music. Pooky Janes has a man cave with free beer. Gristmill or Adobe Verde for food. Krauses downtown is good with usually live German music. McAdos for a fancy meal. Landa Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
            Gruene. Get the kids an ice cream at the General store. Gruene hall live
            Music. Pooky Janes has a man cave with free beer. Gristmill or Adobe Verde for food. Krauses downtown is good with usually live German music. McAdos for a fancy meal. Landa Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Have had some really good meals at McAdoos, good recomendation. I also agree on Gruene, park and walk around, lots of cool stuff. Of course also giant Buccees there.

Comment

Myron’s steakhouse if you’re there.

Comment

Natural Bridge Caverns is pretty cool. Not sure how the 5 year old will do though. Once you get in there it's a while before you get out. We enjoyed it so much the first time, that we went back the other time we went. Not sure if they're open either.

Comment

The drive through animal park is awesome. My kids love it

Comment

Upstream of the tube chute on the Comal at Solms park are some good areas to swim. Gruene River Grill for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBobcat View Post
                      Gruene River Grill for dinner.
                      Balsamic Ribeye, one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. They have a great menu for all ages.

Comment

Landa Park, awesome place

Comment

Herbert’s Taco Hut San Marcos

Comment

picnic or cookout on the Comal. Don't forget to grab lunch or coffee at Black Rifle Coffee Company

Comment

Gruene is a nice place to tourist. Gruene River Grill is pretty good, there is also a Mexican food restaurant right on the corner, at the top of the hill, coming up from the river, that is pretty good. Gruene Hall.

Landa Park is a nice place, there is a miniature train, you can fish in the Comal River, then there is the spring fed pool, it has fish in it also. There is also a hiking trail across the road from the Comal River, up towards the hill, that's a nice little hike through the woods. Also there is another hiking trail off of Loop 337 on the south side of the loop. that we saw when they were making it, but never walked it, we wanted to try it. It's near where Landa St. crosses under 337. Then there is another hiking trail and a pond I think, over near the base ball fields in the same area.

There is also another park off of County Line Rd. that has some walking trails, a fishing pond, that I think gets stocked. They used to do activities there, such as archery classes, you would have to check their schedule.

Then San Marcos has a nice park, with the San Marcos River going through it, you can fish there also. They have the large black squirrels there. There is Herbert's Tacos not far from there, and numerous other good places to eat in San Marcos. There is a place right on the river, a cross from the college, that is a nice place to eat, they are on a short dead end street, don't remember the name, but good food and a nice place to sit out on the deck. I think they do Kayaking tours of the San Marcos River, something I would like to do. My ex brother in law used to tell me about things they would do in the San Marcos river when the were young. He told me of a area, that has a lot of arrow heads. Also the old Aquarina Springs, is open, they do tours of the place, the college owns it now. We did one of the tours a few years back it was interesting.

Seguin has Starke Park, it has all types of things to do there. Then there is ZDT's in Seguin. It's a small amusement park, kind of surprising for that place to be in Seguin. Our daughter used to like to go there. For food in Seguin either the 1828 Grill or if you are there when they are open, KJs BBQ, best BBQ around.

You might also make a trip out to Boerne, they have a nice park, that you can also fish in, I think they have two parks and small lake. It's a nice area also.

Places to eat in New Braunfels, we love McAdoos, great seafood, Cajun food. Myron's Steak House is known to be very good. As for hamburgers The Iron Horse Grill, makes some great burgers. Also the Spud Ranch has some good food, we drove past it for years, then stopped in one time and then kept going back.

The Natural Bridge Caverns is a nice place, they also have the Natural Bridge Cavern's Wild Life park, it's also a nice place to drive through.
                              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-29-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X