Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #51
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Any updates??? I still would kill that dog!!!!
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #52
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Hunt In: Kerrville, Harper, Hunt, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Burt View Post
Where is this ? Central Tx in profile spans a lot of area.

I worry about this. All my neighbors know I hunt, a lot of clues with feeders, stands, 4 wheeler etc moving back and forth in driveway. I know they know when I'm gone to the lease when they see me load up the truck. Same with fishing excursions, truck gets loaded down a lot of times the night before.
I have expressed the same concern to my husband. When we load up to go to the ranch, the truck is parked in the driveway and we load out the front door...right there in full view of God and everybody.

This happened in Austin but I believe itís going on in all first- and second-tier cities across the state. Similar method of operation: thieves target homes in whatever way they do it (seeing mounts displayed, watching us load vehicles, etc.), use stolen car during the robbery, break in through the back of the house our friends said the back door to the garage was locked and outdoor security lights were on), leave other valuables taking only the guns.

Whatís interesting to me is that they had no reason to think our friends were out of town: there were two cars in the driveway and their (very friendly) dog met them at the back door.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #53
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I know a lot of folks like to display their guns but I would worry about fire more than theft...our house roasted to the ground when I was in the 3rd grade & Dad lost all his.

I have to agree that this stinks of insider trading.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #54
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray54 View Post
They must live in a big house to not hear there dog barking and people sneaking around, all guns locked in a safe. Also 2 100 pound labs that bark at anything.I have all doors locked with door latches, plus gates to back yard both have paddle locks on them.
House is fair-to-middliní in size, most homes in our neighborhood, while older, were all custom builds so were well insulted, likely with thought given to using sound mitigating materials as well. I can easily see how someone sleeping up stairs might not hear quiet movement downstairs.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #55
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
Wow that scenario would be nerve rattling coming in your house while you are in the house. Those burglars had to be familiar with the house layout and the dog letting them off the hook like that sounds fishy. I am not questioning your story.
I thought so, too, at first. However, there was evidence they hunted around extensively downstairs before going upstairs (every cabinet, closet, or furniture door had been opened and left that way, as I understand it). As for the dog, heís still fairly young and loves being around people. In fact, I donít think Iíve ever heard him bark.

As for being familiar with the layout, I think you may be right. At first, I thought it might be a family member or a family friend (say, the troubled kid of a family friend), however, Iím now wondering if it could be an employ of a contractor who has recently been admitted into the house.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #56
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Youíre the one that inserted the sex issue I this robbery. Makes me wonder where your mind is. ��
Admittedly in the gutter but usually because Iím cleaning it.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #57
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
True, and that the dog was either worthless or knew the people doing to robbing. Not sure if my dogs would keep barking, but when 3 come hauling butt out of our room I would know something was up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dog slept in the laundry room, between garage and kitchen.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #58
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampuscat View Post
Years ago I worked as a cable TV lineman building and repairing systems and was in and out of peoples yards all day long. I rarely used the gates. It was too easy to simply hop the fence; even the old & rotten pine fences in Friendswood. I've been growled at by thousands of dogs, but usually they'll run away and stay quiet as soon as you lunge at them and throw your hands up. If that didn't work, a cheap treat or piece of jerky. The only time I ever got bit was by a weenie-dog on a chain while I was carrying a 28' extension ladder. Almost every Lab, Shepherd or Doberman just wanted to be petted and would go lay down or follow til I shooed them away.
This is funny because the only dog that ever bit me was a weenie-dog, too!
Old 05-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #59
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Home or not, home intrusion is a lot more prevelent than most people think. Be prepared, be vigilant.
You, sir, are correct and that is why I share this here. No matter what the circumstances surrounding my friendsí situation here, the takeaway from this story is that gun owners are being targeted for theft more than ever right now, that the determinants the thieves appear to be using are displays of hunting as a hobby (mounts, trophies, guns themselves), and that they are organized, quiet, swift, andómost of allóbold.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #60
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I thought it was funny. Headline in the paper: Homeowners burglarized while making love.......
Ha! Remind me to tell you another story involving my brother- and sister-in-law...
Old 05-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #61
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
None of it makes sense, unless you've been in that house multiple times.
That's not how most crooks operate.
To many unknowns and you are not going to be very successful for very long.
Everything at the bottom of your post, is conjecture, when trying to tie it to this crime.
You sure seem to know a whole lot about it though ����
In the face of this insulting and vituperative response, please allow me to clarify:

What I am sharing with you is what the homeowner was told by the police while the crime scene was being investigated.

I share this with all of you because 1) itís relevant here, 2) knowledge is power and this might help hone peopleís awareness and 3) theft of weapons and guns, in my opinion, is the most insidious kind of home property theft that can be perpetrated on a homeowner as, more likely than not, these items will be used to perpetrate further crimeópossibly even a violent oneóagainst someone else.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #62
ThisLadyHunts
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypants View Post
This is an EXCELLENT video. I know itís rather long, but it has some great tips in it.

https://youtu.be/DtwD-c9hn58
Thanks! I watched it and agree...lots of good information. Iíll be sure to share it with my friend once all the raw emotion dies down. Right now, his wife is beating him down with a lot of ďI told you we should have...!Ē
Old 05-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #63
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

I watched that video.

Think about 60% is hogwash. I talked to some thieves (they tried to sell me some guns)while on a job and they said people outside next door didn't bother them.
How's a burglar to know if your alarm is wired or wireless?
Who leaves their home visible thru a glass door while not at home?
Live in the country and there is no neighborhood watch.

BTW, I did tell the police about the confessed burglars and they just shrugged it off.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #64
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

What part of Austin?

We have an alarm, extra cameras, a rat terrier that barks at everything, and my wife is an extremely light sleeper. Plus all my guns are in a safe. I'm not real worried about my house but will still make sure all is locked and alarm set when we go to the lease the next time.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top