Rattling Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling Question

Being from and hunting in East Texas we just never rattled much or had any luck when we tried. Hunting in an area more favorable for rattling, what is your preferred setup with the wind and what kind of sequence do you use? I would think a mature buck would always circle downwind to check the source of the rattling so how do you keep from getting busted before you see him?

Get high to eliminate the chance of being winded.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
      Get high to eliminate the chance of being winded.
      Don't have that option. This will be old fashioned ground hunting with no stands.

Comment

Just a chance you take when rattling. When the time is right they just come straight to the source and don’t worry about going down wind. In my experience there is no specific science to sequence other than just mimicking a fight. Rubbing brush and snapping twigs while rattling IMO is a must because then it doesn’t sound real especially if you’re on the ground.

Comment

We used to have a blast rattling out in Mason when I was a kid.

We would set up downwind of the area we thought the bucks would come from, hoping they wouldn't take the time to circle all the way around downwind. We always rattled from the ground and we made about as much noise as we possibly could. Kicking rocks, stomping, grunting all while rattling the horns. Our thought was bucks cant fight and make rattling noises in real life without making all the other commotion so we figured we'd best copy that as well. If I remember right, my little brother about got ran over by a young buck that was fired up and got a little too close.

I don't think we ever killed a buck while rattling but there were multiple setups where we would have 3-5 younger bucks running circles around us trying to figure out what was going on.

Comment

They will come from every direction as long as they can hear it. Then they will circle downwind and try to pick out the exact source.. They are really sharp at pin pointing where you are. We have watched and rattled in bucks from 7-800 yards. It is amazing when they come in from that far. If you have access to an electronic varmit call that has a remote with deer sounds that works great too. Hang it in a tree 40 -50 yards down wind of you. They will walk in circles right under it trying to find the source.
            Where you are going to be this weekend will depend on how hard the winds blowing and is the time right!
            Sequence wise just do it for awhile and watch repeat. When you spot one then tickle the horns to keep them coming closer.
            Again, if it's the right time you could bang anything together and get a response. Our record is 17 bucks in one 20 minute set. It was nuts!

Remember they are looking for two bucks fighting. They aren't looking for you. Just stay as still as you can with your gun ready to point and shoot. It will happen fast .
            Last edited by Abcdj; 11-10-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I'm gona give it a try this weekend.

Comment

I rattled in a buck about 3 days ago up in my climber. He came right in on my 2nd sequence. He was probably a 2 or 3 year old.

Comment

Be aware that you may only see 1/3 or so of the bucks you rattle in. Post rut has always been best for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X