Rattling up bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling up bucks

What’s tips can you guys who have rattled up bucks give us newbies?

ALWAYS pay attention to the wind. Work your way into the wind. When setting up, expect deer to circle you to get on your downwind side.

Comment

Start off softly and build up in volume over a few minutes. Also don’t over do it. They will pin point your location and usually come in from down wind.

Comment

I like to set up in thick cover. Try to be down wind of an opening or if I’m on a road have clear shooting lanes down wind of my set up. Once you see them don’t rattle anymore unless they’re 200+. They can pin point you pretty quickly and bust out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

may sound silly but dont just stop and start rattling... tuck up in some brush.

Comment

Pair rattling with a grunt tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
              Start off softly and build up in volume over a few minutes. Also don’t over do it. They will pin point your location and usually come in from down wind.
              ^^^^
              And I like rattling on a weather change, and never on a windy day
              If the weather 75 -80 and next day is 30-40 and windy , I think the still before the blow is mas bueno

Comment

Camo Head net and gloves
                I prefer one rattler, one hunter
                Put an Opening downwind of you so if one circles you can see him first
                Never move without looking carefully
                Listen closely for sound of deer approaching.
                The little ones will hang around.
                Mature deer are hard to rattle in my opinion

I break limbs and stomp or hit the ground with my horns
                I have had better luck in am rather than pm
                Last edited by Big pig; 11-03-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Pay close attenting to the brush lines. They will be looking for the noise but not be visible. Then others will just charge out. That is what makes it exciting.

Comment

Use a decoy if you have one, and make absolutely sure that decoy is upwind or at minimum crosswind from you. I paid the price in Kansas for this and never forgot.

Also, stay confident in it and don't give up after a few sessions of zero. I rattled in my largest buck on day 4 after brining in a couple bucks multiple times.

Comment

Have never had success with this in East TX - maybe im being too dam loud

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasTiger View Post
                        Have never had success with this in East TX - maybe im being too dam loud
                        I got my confidence in Kansas and now use it every year in ETX with success. As for being loud, if you have ever watched 2 mature bucks fight up close, I don't think I can make any more noise than they do. I try to make it loud as possible to carry the sound further into the bottoms.

Comment

It can be affective anywhere in this state..
                          Pre rut is best before they lock down on doe..
                          The middle of the day can and has been very productive for me but early and late or best..
                          Windy days are not very productive..
                          Keep the Wind in your face.. Visibility into the wind.
                          Rattle long and loud..
                          Be patient as some mature bucks can be slow to respond.
                          Have fun.. It is addicting...

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasTiger View Post
                            Have never had success with this in East TX -
                            Not a chance.. 2 live bucks fighting make more noise than 1 human possibly could..

Comment

Rattling

Drag your horns through the bushes and beat the ground some. Those feet are pounding the ground when they fight. You can’t make to much noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X