Upright freezer organization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upright freezer organization?

Using my upright freezer much more this year. Got deer number 2 going in it today and tomorrow. Quart ziplock bags with a pound of ground meat (either chili grind, breakfast pan sausage or 80/20 venison/ bacon) make up the majority so far. The rest be link sausage once we get cool enough to properly smoke it and packages of backstrap, tenders and roasts.

Already starting to play freezer jenga trying to keep things from falling out. Looking at simple wire baskets to start with for organizing it. Any other ideas?

If you are processing deer yourself, use freezer paper and not plastic bags. Meat will last longer and you can stack better.
    Also you can press Hamburger flat so you can organize better.

Comment

Had a frozen roll of summer sausage slide off a shelf in my upright and land smack dab on my toe. Yelled some colorful language and bought a small chest freezer the next day. My only solution for ya.

Comment

I buy foam pipe insulation and cut a slit in it and place it on the front of each rack then start stacking. The insulation will angle the pkgs back and solve the sliding forward when you open.

Comment

My solution was to get two freezers. We seperate our meat by kind or type into corn sacks and store in the chest freezer. cook out of the upright freezer. The upright freezer stays organized by keeping different meats separated on different shelves and easy to identify and get. Restock each shelf as needed from the chest freezer easy to identify by different sacks, ground meat- fry meat- steaks/fajita- chicken/fish, ect.

Comment

We use plastic bins in our uprights, really lets you pack them full. Nothing falls out. Bins for ground, backstraps, roasts, etc. Ours have holes in the sides, just generic bins we probably got from Wally World.

Comment

I vacuum pack everything. I started using cardboard boxes this year. You can make better use of rack space by increasing vertical storage.

Comment

Originally posted by mmurphey View Post
                We use plastic bins in our uprights, really lets you pack them full. Nothing falls out. Bins for ground, backstraps, roasts, etc. Ours have holes in the sides, just generic bins we probably got from Wally World.
                We do the same thing. Works very well!

Comment

If you are processing your own, you should invest in a vacuum sealer. Vacuum sealed will last longer than paper or plastic!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    If you are processing your own, you should invest in a vacuum sealer. Vacuum sealed will last longer than paper or plastic!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Everything except ground gets vacuumed. Ground is stored in quart ziplocks pressed flat. Keeps it wonderfully. I’ve had some over 3 years old that was still as good as the day I packed it.

Comment

I bought strategically sized clear plastic totes from the dollar store and use them as drawers. Even labeled them with scotch tape and a sharpie.

Comment

Had a processor that vacuum seal everything. He did the ground in a rectangular shape less than an inch or two thick. They stack great and if you don't have time to thaw they can cook super easy from frozen as it's so thin.

Comment

Organizing

I use the reusable bags you get from grocery stores (the ones with handles - not those cheap fly away things)... I can get three or four on the shelf. Each one holds only certain items - hamburger, steaks, stew meat, fish, etc. Write on the outside with a sharpie. You can even fold them over and stack several.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I have the same question for a chest freezer. Is there any ideas to organize?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              I buy foam pipe insulation and cut a slit in it and place it on the front of each rack then start stacking. The insulation will angle the pkgs back and solve the sliding forward when you open.
                              Originally posted by mmurphey View Post
                              Originally posted by simek View Post
                              I vacuum pack everything. I started using cardboard boxes this year. You can make better use of rack space by increasing vertical storage.
                              These are some great ideas that I haven't thought of

Comment

Working...
                              X