Help me build a flatbed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me build a flatbed!

Well, I got rear ended a couple weeks ago in my F250 and tore up my bumper and tailgate. I've been wanting to put a flatbed on for a while, but haven't had time and haven't felt like spending the money. I can't find exactly what I want in a factory option, so I think I'm going to dive into building one. I run a metal fab shop and have a CNC Plasma table, brakes, shear, etc, so the fabrication part is no issue. I just need some input on the design part.

Right now, I'm thinking I want something similar to a Pronghorn UT bed with a built-in auxiliary fuel tank between the two vertical tool boxes. I'm also trying to figure out how i want to handle drawers/shelves inside the boxes. Have a few other cosmetic things I want to change, but that's the basic concept.

What are some features that y'all have on your beds that you like or dislike? Anything that you wish you had?

Also interested in any pics you have of your pickups with a flatbed.

Thanks in advance,
    Kanyon

Don't forget the yeti, for some that is a must I guess for flat beds. Lol

Comment

I have a CM TM/TMX on my Chevrolet Duramax Dually. It is the most versatile bed I have ever owned. It has lockable boxes all the way around. I had to do some shopping to find toolboxes with the correct dimensions that fit in the upright toolboxes but found a Craftsman tool box that fit perfectly that holds most of the hand tools. It has two upright boxes and two large flat boxes and smaller boxes behind the wheel wells. All are lockable. There is plenty of space in the bed plus a gooseneck hookup. It's a very versatile bed. I farm, ranch and run heavy equipment. I carry just about everything I need to fix anything I might encounter during the day.

Steel Flat Beds SEE MODELS The Hardest Working Beds in the Business Purpose-built for rugged durability and versatile performance, CM’s Steel Flat Beds transform your truck into a powerful workhorse. Choose from a wide selection of smart, feature-rich designs to meet your specific needs.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
        And a Blue healer.

Comment

No advice, I am just here to ask that you do a dyi.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            And a Blue healer.
            Dang did you see my Blue healer laying on my Yeti on my flatbed this morning?

Comment

One word if you want something really different: aluminum.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                No advice, I am just here to ask that you do a dyi.

Yes sir, I’ll definitely do that. I’m bad about not taking pics along the way, but will try my best. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                  Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                  And a Blue healer.
                  LMAO. So true

Comment

Vertical locking storage on the front behind the cab for long guns

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                      Vertical locking storage on the front behind the cab for long guns

That would be pretty cool. Never considered that.

Comment

Please do some build pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                          Please do some build pics!

Will do!

Comment

OK, here you go, Use $' flat strap for the cross frame bed supports, Wed flat strap to the bottom and you can have drawers between the deck supports down both sides of the bed. Over 20 cubic feet of storage. Build boxes to fit in front and behind the wheel wells then weld them in place. A box between the frame in the back of the bed is great for storing chains and boomers. Also design your goose neck hook up lid to be flat with no hinges sticking up. Here's some pics.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I’ve got several different brands and I’ll say you definitely need a step of some type on the back to get up onto the bed, a hinged door for the gooseneck ball that lays 100% flat, at least 1” removable drain plugs in the bottom of the box’s for washing them out but larger would be better, rub rails with stake pockets for tying stuff down on the bed and louvered headache rack to protect the back glass “This One Will Pay For Itself”

Comment

Working...
                              X