ER Visit was pricey and odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ER Visit was pricey and odd

My wife has Covid and has not been well. This was her 4th day in bed with every symptom there is except maybe shortness or breath. I ran an errand this morning and before I could get back home she called me and said she was feeling numb everywhere and I could tell she was scared so I hauled it home and took her to the hospital. To note, we’d already been to an urgent care to diagnose her with Covid and they had told us which hospitals were taking Covid patients so we went there instead of back to the urgent care this time. I was certain she needed IV fluids and meds from dehydration and malnutrition.

I got her to the hospital ER and after signing her in they took her in a small room nearby the front desk and told me I could stay outside or go home because I couldn’t go back with her. So I ran an errand down the street and got a call from my wife about 15 mins later (been there about 30 total minutes) that they had given her a Zofran pill for nausea and were denying her the IV Fluids we came in for because apparently they can push the Covid further into the system. They told her the pill was all they could do and she needed to go home now.

Here’s were it gets odd…(I haven’t made it back yet to ER) the checkout lady gave my wife a bill right there in the ER even though she gave her our Insurance info and asked if my wife wanted her to swipe the Card for the full amount. My wife, mind you, is still in bad shape but luckily stops her and says No. They were about to run our card for $2600 for less than 30 mins and a nausea pill. Come to find out they ran it first for $700 without authorization and then refunded it back and ran again for $300 which my wife agreed on. Not sure why, but besides the point.

Are ER visits always that expensive no matter the issue and are they supposed to try to make you pay in full upfront even though you told them to submit to insurance? It just seemed so shady the money part while she was down and out like they were taking advantage of her because we had insurance. They billed like $5800 and said Insurance would pay $3200 or so and we’d owe the rest because deductible hasn’t been met. Sure wishing we had gone back to the urgent care after that mess… The good news is my wife is feeling much better and can finally keep food down and take her meds after 4 days. I’m just shocked at the cost of a brief ER visit where not much care was given in my opinion and the hounding for money. Rant over…

Man that's ridiculous. Zero treatment for Covid apparently continues.

Comment

Glad she is doing better. Negotiate the rest of your bill. Tell them you'll pay half and they can write off the rest. If they don't tell them you'll be sending them a check for $25.00 a month until it's paid off. They have to cover the expensives of all the illegals and deadbeats.

Comment

Just doing their part to keep the death rate numbers as high as possible.

Comment

Amazing some people can show up and not even get asked if they have insurance or money and get treated just the same.

Comment

Medicine and higher education are big business...........

Comment

This thread really sticks in my craw...I don't care about the $$$$ aspect.

People need to find an online dr that will help with therapeutics...infuriating they won't do anything. This is the problem folks.

Comment

I have worked in hospitals for years, and I have never heard of an ER doing anything like this. Did they have some sort of drive though covid clinic or something?

Comment

Total BS... I went in and they took my insurance, gave me a steroid shot and a zpac, plus more steroids for later.. Never charged me anything personally... what a crock they did that to your wife.

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
                    I have worked in hospitals for years, and I have never heard of an ER doing anything like this. Did they have some sort of drive though covid clinic or something?
                    ditto

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      Glad she is doing better. Negotiate the rest of your bill. Tell them you'll pay half and they can write off the rest. If they don't tell them you'll be sending them a check for $25.00 a month until it's paid off. They have to cover the expensives of all the illegals and deadbeats.
                      Exactly, someone has to have real money.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell them you want to go on payment plan and pay the minimum. You can settle after awhile for a lot less. ER is complete rip off and nothing cheap about it.

Comment

Same thing happened to my wife when her back went out. Did absolutely nothing for her not even pain meds and charged us $1,800.

Comment

I thought covid was being covered by the govt?

Comment

Wow, that's what its coming to at hospitals? Can I ask you why you don't have her on ivermectin?

I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X