No announcement yet.

2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, getting old sucks. Went out yesterday to put up a new stand, plant food plots and sight in my new scope/rifle. Well I got the stand up and the rifle sighted in, didn't finish the planting, hopefully I can get back out next weekend to finish. But I have never been so sore in my whole life lol, 5 years ago I would have gone out and finished today but instead I am stuck on the couch, sore neck, back, shoulders, legs, hell I think my fingers are sore. I'm only in my mid 30's luckily according to some of the older guys I work with "it gets better". Can't wait lol

Comment

Got Trinity and Newton planted just before this rain. Hit it perfect I think. Glad to be done with the planting and on easy street now, just wait for cooler weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Today was final scouting trip before season. I now believe “Main Event” is parachuting into feed pen… that all I can come up with. I’ve got camera’s watching cameras that are watching cameras. I’m about out of trees to move them to that aren’t directly in bedding areas.

Feed pen camera- daily am and pm (ME & Kaboom)
        Every trail, scrape, rub line…. Every deer but them

I’m down to 1 spot that until proven wrong I’m going to call his bed. It’s tall grass behind an old structure off property. It’s a small area…. Never bothered. And would give him the south wind advantage to feeding area and east to west doe travel. I’m going to hunt, like that’s where he’s at

Probably won’t go Saturday morning. I don’t think I will do anything but blow out deer getting in there. I’m gonna park about 200 yards south from where I typically do and use a low spot in terrain to stay out of site. Probably won’t go at all unless a detectable wind and good thermals. IF he’s there he will have a good thermal advantage at dusk also. North or west will be my best shots… but by far the hardest to get to the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Today was final scouting trip before season. I now believe “Main Event” is parachuting into feed pen… that all I can come up with. I’ve got camera’s watching cameras that are watching cameras. I’m about out of trees to move them to that aren’t directly in bedding areas.

I’m down to 1 spot that until proven wrong I’m going to call his bed. It’s tall grass behind an old structure off property. It’s a small area…. Never bothered. And would give him the south wind advantage to feeding area and east to west doe travel. I’m going to hunt, like that’s where he’s at

Probably won’t go Saturday morning. I don’t think I will do anything but blow out deer getting in there. I’m gonna park about 200 yards south from where I typically do and use a low spot in terrain to stay out of site. Probably won’t go at all unless a detectable wind and good thermals. IF he’s there he will have a good thermal advantage at dusk also. North or west will be my best shots… but by far the hardest to get to the stand.

Sounds like it’s time to just let it happen generically you’re gonna burn yourself out or the spot.

Comment

This made my head hurt. If i had to put this much thought into going out for a sit I'd just stay home

Comment

Just part of hunting mature deer on very small acreage. I can’t afford it o “just go hunt” on these properties. I’ve had opportunities to kill both in the past and passed for one reason or another. SO FAR they always stay on me

This is what I like to do! Finding them where they are comfortable! If I had to look at a feeder, I’d stay home. Not hating, but these deer are not killable like that
              Last edited by Low Fence; 09-29-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

2021-22 east texas season

Just part of hunting mature deer on very small acreage. I can’t afford it o “just go hunt” on these properties. I’ve had opportunities to kill both in the past and passed for one reason or another. SO FAR they always stay on me

This is what I like to do! Finding them where they are comfortable! If I had to look at a feeder, I’d stay home. Not hating, but these deer are not killable like that

Haven’t killed a single etx deer under a feeder probably close to double digit 140” now, but it’s your hunt seems like you got it figured out good luck on the season. Meant nothin more than some friendly advice

Comment

Those of you in liberty/Hardin/Polk counties, when do you typically see peak rut activity, and when do you notice bucks making more daylight appearances post rut? I assume peak is around Halloween but won’t be able to hunt it because of work. Planning on taking a week off late November/early December just wanting to get an idea of buck movement post rut

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                    Those of you in liberty/Hardin/Polk counties, when do you typically see peak rut activity, and when do you notice bucks making more daylight appearances post rut? I assume peak is around Halloween but won’t be able to hunt it because of work. Planning on taking a week off late November/early December just wanting to get an idea of buck movement post rut

End of October through the first 10 days of November for us. After that I would say wait until late December over a corn pile.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                      End of October through the first 10 days of November for us. After that I would say wait until late December over a corn pile.

No early December second rut activity?

Comment

This is our normal pattern:

We have some deer that are coming thru of their first rut right now. The strongest rut is going on strong by the fourth week of October.

Most daylight activity will be a week or so before the actual rut thru the first week of November.

After this the disappear until things get really cold or the food runs out into January.

Our slowest period tends to be the very time you taking off.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          This is our normal pattern:

We have some deer that are coming thru of their first rut right now. The strongest rut is going on strong by the fourth week of October.

Most daylight activity will be a week or so before the actual rut thru the first week of November.

After this the disappear until things get really cold or the food runs out into January.

Our slowest period tends to be the very time you taking off.

Not the news I wanted to hear. Luckily it’s not set in stone yet. I’ll have some work stuff going 7 days a week 10/15-11/7ish. May just have to figure something else out

Comment

To me the most magical time to be in the woods is +/- 7 days from 10/15.

The most activity historically has been 10/10-10/12.

This is just observations from 10+ years on our place. We have both a blending of coastal and east Texas deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              To me the most magical time to be in the woods is +/- 7 days from 10/15.

The most activity historically has been 10/10-10/12.

This is just observations from 10+ years on our place. We have both a blending of coastal and east Texas deer.

I’ll probably be hunting all next weekend then.

Comment

Just my observation over 25 plus years in Polk and Trinity County. Years ago it seemed like the second week of November was the hottest. In the last decade or so, it’s more like the first week in November. November 1-8. If I had one day, I would take November 7.

I hate to say this, but the first part of December is the weakest. But I think someone pointed this out. Bucks I assume are laid up after the chase. Wherever and whatever they are doing, you won’t see them.

Comment

Working...
                                X