No announcement yet.

Favorite Turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people over cook them. If you go by the probe that pops up it's overdone and dried out.

Comment

We only do it this way now and it is requested by the majority of our group at our friends giving every year. We get the lobes from O'Brien Meats out of Taylor. We inject them the night before with the TS garlic butter or jalapeno butter and let them rest in a cooler overnight. We then fire up the egg and cook them for 45 minutes per side and pull at about 150 and stick in a cooler. We leave them in the cooler for hours before eating. Hard to beat. Moist and great flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
        Most people over cook them. If you go by the probe that pops up it's overdone and dried out.
        Then slice with the grain and you have a disaster. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Then slice with the grain and you have a disaster. Lol.

It, becomes turkey jerky.

Comment

Deboned and then smoked.

Comment

Not sure if has been mentioned yet but if you get your air compressor out and with a needle attachment you can blow air under the skin and inflate it separating the skin from the bird. This will allow the skin to render properly and crisp up like bacon.

I like mine smoked with skin crisp. Spatchcocked helps to get it crispy also.
              Last edited by Ætheling; 11-27-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                Pump turkey up with Tony's Creole Butter marinade,rub skin with oil and season up outside then on the Big Easy till 165. Easy,peasy
                We love our Big Easy. First year I cooked my turkey that way my dad and brother had one ordered before we got up from the table. Quick and easy.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladybluearm View Post
                  Grew up on Mom oven baking a Butterball. That’s the only brand she would buy. Same for me and my family. Prefer white meat.
                  Same. Like it dry with cranberry, dressing and gravy

Or Honey baked ham!

Comment

Dark meat. Fired or smoked, but gotta have the dark meat.

Comment

Brine in sugar and kosher salt

Seasoned with black pepper and kosher salt

Smoke low for about 2-3 hours. Put in pan and put a 1lb of butter on it. Wrap pan in foil. Continue to smoke at about 300 til 165.

Don’t need all that fancy seasoning and injecting……keep it simple

Comment

Our smoked turkey turned out great.
                        Still not as good as fried…

Comment

This is my second year of brining first then frying. It has been the best birds I’ve ever had. FIL brined and smoked one this year and they both turned out great. Being new to brining and I will never not do it it this way ever again. Everyone raved about both turkeys but the winner was the fried one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
                            Deboned and then smoked.
                            Here is the correct answer. This is how bbq joints do it.

The breast tenderloins smoked like a pork loin. The smoke gets the meat as opposed to skin. The seasoning is also on the meat, not the skin. I laugh at people that season skin on chickens and turkey and then pull it off and throw it away. Lol.

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 11-28-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X