X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up new F150 tomorrow
    Paying a little below sticker

Comment

I sold at a Ford dealer in Plano right when Expeditions were brand new (feel free to hold that against me)

Ford gave the allocations of Expeditions based on Explorer sales and this dealer sold a ton of Explorers

it was the end of the month and year (always a good time to make a deal) and a guy that was an Aggy Engineer came in on a Saturday BSing me about having to "get to work".....he had just come back from Korea helping to build a wafer fab facility (he was young, but probably making $90,000+ at that time I would imagine)

He had paid Autobytel $50 for the exact invoice of the exact explorer he wanted and he wanted to get it for $50 over invoice (which would have been a good price)......we had that exact explorer on the lot except the one we had was with the 5.0 V8 and he wanted the 4.6 V6 engine in it

at that time the "trick" at this dealer was to show anyone the exact invoice for any unit on the lot and it was a legit real invoice because it is a major crime to show a fake invoice and as shady as some can be none of the managers there were taking that risk of going to jail (even for just a bit) and overall the dealership was well run and honest (I would say overly honest compared to many)

the 5.0 V8 was an $895 dollar option and this dork was pretty much in shock when he looked our invoice up an down and it was exactly as his was less the V8 option vs the V6

my floor manager was ****** that I could not get this guy more "excited" about an explorer and that he would try and get up and stand behind us when we went to "the tower"

the manager in "the tower" kept looking at this little bitty piece of paper on the wall with numbers about half the font size of a phone book (obviously end of month and end of year hold back numbers that needed to be met to get a larger % of dealer hold back from Ford) and of course there was still the Expedition allocations based on now Expedition and Explorer sales

we ended up offering to sell the guy our Explorer for $100 over HIS INVOICE price for a V6 optioned exactly as he wanted.....and of course ours had the $895 5.0 V8 option

so we were offering to sell ours to him for basically $795 under invoice for it with the 5.0 V8 which was the best deal I had seen anyone be offered on anything

this dumb dork was obsessed with the 4.6 V6 because he thought "gas mileage" and worse yet he wanted us to give him "credit" for "doing his homework" and paying Autobytel $50 for the invoice even though we showed him an exact invoice that matched dollar to dollar on a similar unit except for the engine difference so he only wanted to pay $50 over invoice because of course he was giving us no credit for being honest and showing him an invoice (that he was shocked was 100% legit)

I sucked at selling cars at the tie because was not aggressive enough and confrontational enough so when he looked at me and ask me what he should do I was too in shock he was going to pass on the 5.0 V8 and walk on the deal over $50 that I failed to call him a total moron and to take the deal

so this dolt that came on on a Saturday that was making a ton of good money and was young and single and was talking all about having to "get to work" and "only having a little time to look" walked on getting a 5.0 V8 explorer for $795 under invoice because he wanted it for $845 under invoice because he paid $50 for an invoice and he was willing to instead waste hours more of his time to go get a V6 explorer and try and get it for $50 over invoice

the managers tore into me for that deal almost happening

I hope he bought a boat shortly after that and enjoyed dragging it all over the metromess with that V6 (which is a good engine, but not the 5.0 V8) and that is not going to get meaningfully different gas mileage
      Last edited by Smeone; 11-22-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeone View Post
        I sold at a Ford dealer in Plano right when Expeditions were brand new (feel free to hold that against me)

Ford gave the allocations of Expeditions based on Explorer sales and this dealer sold a ton of Explorers

it was the end of the month and year (always a good time to make a deal) and a guy that was an Aggy Engineer came in on a Saturday BSing me about having to "get to work".....he had just come back from Korea helping to build a wafer fab facility (he was young, but probably making $90,000+ at that time I would imagine)

He had paid Autobytel $50 for the exact invoice of the exact explorer he wanted and he wanted to get it for $50 over invoice (which would have been a good price)......we had that exact explorer on the lot except the one we had was with the 5.0 V8 and he wanted the 4.6 V6 engine in it

at that time the "trick" at this dealer was to show anyone the exact invoice for any unit on the lot and it was a legit real invoice because it is a major crime to show a fake invoice and as shady as some can be none of the managers there were taking that risk of going to jail (even for just a bit) and overall the dealership was well run and honest (I would say overly honest compared to many)

the 5.0 V8 was an $895 dollar option and this dork was pretty much in shock when he looked our invoice up an down and it was exactly as his was less the V8 option vs the V6

my floor manager was ****** that I could not get this guy more "excited" about an explorer and that he would try and get up and stand behind us when we went to "the tower"

the manager in "the tower" kept looking at this little bitty piece of paper on the wall with numbers about half the font size of a phone book (obviously end of month and end of year hold back numbers that needed to be met to get a larger % of dealer hold back from Ford) and of course there was still the Expedition allocations based on now Expedition and Explorer sales

we ended up offering to sell the guy our Explorer for $100 over HIS INVOICE price for a V6 optioned exactly as he wanted.....and of course ours had the $895 5.0 V8 option

so we were offering to sell ours to him for basically $795 under invoice for it with the 5.0 V8 which was the best deal I had seen anyone be offered on anything

this dumb dork was obsessed with the 4.6 V6 because he thought "gas mileage" and worse yet he wanted us to give him "credit" for "doing his homework" and paying Autobytel $50 for the invoice even though we showed him an exact invoice that matched dollar to dollar on a similar unit except for the engine difference so he only wanted to pay $50 over invoice because of course he was giving us no credit for being honest and showing him an invoice (that he was shocked was 100% legit)

I sucked at selling cars at the tie because was not aggressive enough and confrontational enough so when he looked at me and ask me what he should do I was too in shock he was going to pass on the 5.0 V8 and walk on the deal over $50 that I failed to call him a total moron and to take the deal

so this dolt that came on on a Saturday that was making a ton of good money and was young and single and was talking all about having to "get to work" and "only having a little time to look" walked on getting a 5.0 V8 explorer for $795 under invoice because he wanted it for $845 under invoice because he paid $50 for an invoice and he was willing to instead waste hours more of his time to go get a V6 explorer and try and get it for $50 over invoice

the managers tore into me for that deal almost happening

I hope he bought a boat shortly after that and enjoyed dragging it all over the metromess with that V6 (which is a good engine, but not the 5.0 V8) and that is not going to get meaningfully different gas mileage

How long ago was this and I didn’t know there was ever a 4.6 V6. That’s a lot of displacement for a V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          How long ago was this and I didn’t know there was ever a 4.6 V6. That’s a lot of displacement for a V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          it would have been 1997-98 Expeditions were brand new and were selling for $3,000 over sticker when I started (that faded fast)

and you are correct I was 100% wrong it was a 4.0 V6 not a 4.6 V6

I was thinking of the throwaway 4.6 V8 and 5.4 V8 that came in the new F150s not long after

I have a big long spiel about how to buy a car the right way it is too long for the attention span of most people which is why so many people make a bad car deal, but as bad as I was at selling at the time I did learn how to buy

and the "fleet manager email" works for some, but for many it is a giant waste of time people have to remember the fleet manager did not get that position by giving cars away they earned that position ripping the heads off of people constantly

if you do not know how to present your offer you are just wasting your time with them or setting yourself up to deal with one of the bigger sharks at the dealership

Comment

Working...
          X