No announcement yet.

Do you trap coons during deer season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on the board with 5 coons this week. 2 to go….hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
      How long are y’all waiting to check the traps? I was going to set them after the evening hunt then go back to check them. Don’t want to leave them out all night in case we want to hunt that stand in the morning.

The deer at my place don’t care if there are trapped coons right beside the feeder or raising heck on a dog proof trap. I am actually beginning to think it draws them in out of curiosity. I’ve had 3 new bucks on camera with coons trapped in the area. [emoji2375]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We don't. I have always thought it would have an effect on the deer and try to keep traffic on the property down as much as possible and have felt that riding around checking traps would also have an adverse effect - but I have never tried so I don't really know if it would be a problem or not.

We do trap on every trip during the off season and they don't show up much on cameras during the season. If I saw we had a big problem like in the picture Jerp posted I may change my mind, especially after seeing the pics with trapped coons and deer.

Comment

I would trap during deer season, but I try to keep pressure to a minimum in my main hunting spot. And I don't want dead coons/buzzards on camera non stop

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
            How long are y’all waiting to check the traps? I was going to set them after the evening hunt then go back to check them. Don’t want to leave them out all night in case we want to hunt that stand in the morning.

If we set them we aren't checking them till the morning after the hunt....and only set them on blinds we won't be hunting. We have made that decision before it comes time to set them. The Coverts are a pretty cool tool with this as you can monitor your traps with your camera. Saves a few trip over the couple of days when nothing was caught that previous night ..

Last edited by Smart; 11-18-2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
              No, if trapped and any deer walk up, they will scare the deer off. Traps came up on opening day.

See post 24...

Comment

Heck, I'll hunt a stand with traps set... At the end of the hunt if nothing is shot, I'll use my practice arras and shoot the coons in the traps... makes for good practice...

Comment

Working...
                X