Upcoming Winter Preperation`s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming Winter Preperation`s

Are you doing anything different to prepare for the upcoming winter this year after what we all went thru last winter. I use United Cooperative for my electricity and they have gone up 26% per kWh since last winter due to the huge increase in natural gas. I have been looking at generators since last winter and finally pulled the trigger on a Champion generator a couple of weeks ago after finding a great deal on Amazon that only lasted a few days. Got one that runs on gas and propane. Probably gonna have an electrician wire it so I can run it thru my breaker box the correct and safe way. I got a 4750/3800-Watt generator that will give us enough to get by and will not consume as much fuel as a much larger one. I don`t anticipate the extreme cold that we had last year by no means, but our electrical grid situation sucks and an ice storm could be just as bad as last year. Now is the time to prepare. The same generator I got 2 weeks ago has a 1-2 month lead time today and is 200 dollars higher.

I am doubling the heat in my attic for the pipes...

Comment

Curious why the February event is the new norm.

They called for lots of hurricanes and it was an easy season in Houston.

Comment

I am having the pipes re-wrapped under my house. Pier and beam... Filled the propane tank for the winter already. That cost keeps rising as well.

Comment

I'm having a 24kw Generac put in at the Farm with a buried 1000gal propane tank.

Comment

I'm gonna do what I've done for the last 55 years....deal with it

Comment

bought a generator

Comment

Just serviced my fireplace insert, new gaskets, to heat house and stocking up on wood tomorrow.

Comment

Dumb Question: How long will a couple of full 20lb propane tanks sit for? Do they even go bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    Dumb Question: How long will a couple of full 20lb propane tanks sit for? Do they even go bad?
                    years? I dunno if they have a shelf life. I have 6 I rotate through up at my property and they'll sit a couple of years before I rotate through them and have had no problems

Comment

Not changing a thing. I was prepared then and nothings changed now. We were just fine last winter.

Comment

Not a dumb question. Unlike gasoline, propane will be good for years. Never heard of any going bad. Does not produce as many watts as gasoline (20% less), but you will not have the carburetor problems that you get from ethanol gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                          Curious why the February event is the new norm.

They called for lots of hurricanes and it was an easy season in Houston.
                          Where are you seeing its the new norm?

I know I could have been a little more prepared. I **** sure paid more for a cord of wood than whats being quoted in that other thread.

Comment

Its been under the ground for thousands of years. Itll last longer than your tanks will.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              Not changing a thing. I was prepared then and nothings changed now. We were just fine last winter.

We did fine last year also, but we had rolling blackouts every 45 minutes or so and the longest we did without power was 1.5 hours. I had several friends that had no power for 4 or more days. That`s where you start having problems and what I am preparing for with a generator.

Comment

Working...
                              X