FOC, Gr, and FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOC, Gr, and FPS

Well, I've officially gone down the rabbit hole and lost my **** mind.

Here are my options.

Wrap and Nockturnal: 485gr, 9.7FOC, 281FPS
    Nockturnal, no wrap: 472gr, 11FOC, 286FPS
    Neither wrap or nockturnal: 452gr, 13.6FOC, 292FPS

Id like a white wrap just to help when looking at blood but that's the first thing I'd lose. The I'd really like to keep the lit nock just to watch the shot easier and find my arrows easier but if the FOC and FPS hit isn't worth it I can do without.

I know it's all a bit over the top but before I drop over $250 on arrows, heads, inserts, nocks, etc I want some experienced opinions.

Im shooting a 70lb, 29" draw, 31" ATA rated at 342.

What spine arrows?
    What weight broadheads?
    What weight inserts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
      What spine arrows?
      What weight broadheads?
      What weight inserts?

Deets:
      Mathews V3 31 70lbs 29"draw
      Gold tip kinetic pierce 300 spine 29.5" 9.1gpi (comes with 15.5gr collar and 19.5 insert).
      7" wrap at 13 gr (debating cutting in half)
      2" veins at 6.3gr each (x3)
      Nockturnal (13 gr)

Looks like I typed something in wrong somewhere. New gr weight is 466.85, 11.8FOC at 287 fps

All of this is hypothetical based off published grain weights of all components (can't weigh what I haven't bought and debating buying it)
      Last edited by JohnTheGoodAg; 11-02-2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

My opinion..
        125grain head >
        100grain brass insert >
        300 spine shaft >
        Feathers >
        Nocturnal

But, with a 29" arrow, above setup could be flirting with being underspined. If so, turn bow down to 65#, or decrease insert weight and try again.. should be **** near perfect, or at least close. Increased overall weight (should get you in the 510-515 range) and FOC, with still decent speed.

Comment

Be careful with those nocks on 4mm arrows I have broke several. Last one broke when firing causing a dry fire. Could have been worse . I shot gt pierce for a while and moved up to 5mm arrows because I like lighted nocks..

For what it's worth the 55 grain titanium outserts were my favorite for those arrows.. I don't like deep 6 broadheads so hits were never an option.. I'm 29 inch draw and shot a finished arrow of 450 grains never had issues killing with them .. 4mm arrow components are expensive..
          Last edited by jds247; 11-03-2021, 12:03 AM.

Comment

My opinion..
            125grain head >
            100grain brass insert >
            300 spine shaft >
            Feathers >
            Nocturnal

But, with a 29" arrow, above setup could be flirting with being underspined. If so, turn bow down to 65#, or decrease insert weight and try again.. should be **** near perfect, or at least close. Increased overall weight (should get you in the 510-515 range) and FOC, with still decent speed.

Any tips on a 100 gr insert that fits this arrow?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTheGoodAg View Post
              https://www.ironwilloutfitters.com/g...ill-hit-insert

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                Be careful with those nocks on 4mm arrows I have broke several. Last one broke when firing causing a dry fire. Could have been worse . I shot gt pierce for a while and moved up to 5mm arrows because I like lighted nocks..

For what it's worth the 55 grain titanium outserts were my favorite for those arrows.. I don't like deep 6 broadheads so hits were never an option.. I'm 29 inch draw and shot a finished arrow of 450 grains never had issues killing with them .. 4mm arrow components are expensive..
                These guys? https://eastonarchery.com/product/4m...tanium-insert/

No one has ever made it clear to me that I would have to shoot different broadheads or inserts... Now I know. Thanks for bringing it to my attention
                Last edited by JohnTheGoodAg; 11-03-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

https://www.ironwilloutfitters.com/g...ill-hit-insert

Thank you as well for helping me realize these are deep six... That me not paying attention

Comment

These guys? https://eastonarchery.com/product/4m...tanium-insert/

No one has ever made it clear to me that I would have to shoot different broadheads or inserts... Now I know. Thanks for bringing it to my attention
                    Thats the ones i used.. ethics makes good stainless inserts and sleeves if you want to go heavier and still use standard broadheads

Comment

Well, I've officially gone down the rabbit hole and lost my **** mind.

Here are my options.

Wrap and Nockturnal: 485gr, 9.7FOC, 281FPS
                      Nockturnal, no wrap: 472gr, 11FOC, 286FPS
                      Neither wrap or nockturnal: 452gr, 13.6FOC, 292FPS

Id like a white wrap just to help when looking at blood but that's the first thing I'd lose. The I'd really like to keep the lit nock just to watch the shot easier and find my arrows easier but if the FOC and FPS hit isn't worth it I can do without.

I know it's all a bit over the top but before I drop over $250 on arrows, heads, inserts, nocks, etc I want some experienced opinions.

Im shooting a 70lb, 29" draw, 31" ATA rated at 342.
                      The only question would be. What broadhead and does the three arrows have enough FOC to control the broadhead. So, if all three arrows will control the broadheads then shoot which ever one you want. There is not enough difference in the weight to matter.

If You are shooting fixed broadheads I would build the one with the 13.6% FOC. But be ready to increase the FOC to help stabilize the arrow.

If shooting a mechanical broadhead then any one of the three should be fine.

By the way it is not over the top. I break everything down when I’m building arrows. Hahaha
                      Last edited by enewman; 11-03-2021, 03:12 AM.

Comment

I believe ethics makes one but I haven't gone down to the micro diameter rabbit hole in earnest just yet. Currently shooting a very similar bow setup to yourself with Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300 spines (metal nock removed and replaced with a standard), 100 gr Ethics stainless insert, 125 gr broadhead, at around 265ish fps. FOC is at 18.7 with a total arrow weight around 520gr. I'm still gun shy on the outserts and love being able to put the weight fully contained in the shaft.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out. I'm interested in building some Axis Long Range 4mm for a flatter shooting setup with the half outs. Targeting around 15% FOC and around 450gr total weight.

Comment

Aside from all the math.... wraps are awesome... Yes they increase visibility, the reflective ones are the bomb, but they also make it so much easier to refletch arrows without grinding on the carbon, and I run them for that reason alone. Lit nocks I can live without, but wraps... love my wraps.

Comment

Another option would be GT Fact Weight system. Have a VXR at 70lbs with a 28 1/2" draw. Arrows are Hunter XT. I shoot 125 gr fixed blade broadheads and wasn't happy with how they were flying. I tinkered round with different weights up front. Bought the wrench and some Fact weights on Amazon for a minimal cost. Ended up with 100 gr of weights up front and a 17% FOC. Total arrow weight ended up being 550 gr.. Also ended up switching my vanes to Tact vanes with a 2 degree left offset, my bow naturally throws a bare shaft to the left. Not sure how many FPS I'm getting. After the changes I tried 3 different fixed blade broadheads and they all hit perfect with my field points. My groups are also a lot tighter with broadheads and field points. I like that I could easily play with different weight up front with the Fact System.

Comment

Working...
                            X