Dream Hunt 30 years in the Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dream Hunt 30 years in the Making

This is a hunt that I've dreamed of for 30 years and never pulled the proverbial trigger. Three years and 30 pounds ago I couldn't have attempted this hunt. I've worked my rear off to get into the best condition I could. I still sucked wind going uphill and had some slight knee pain down hill and loaded with 75 pounds.

I applied for 3 southern NM units and drew 2nd rifle.

We scouted for 2.5 days sighting roughly 50 elk. Mostly cows and rag horns but we had 4 good bulls which we thought we could get within range and more importantly get off the mountain. All I read was steep, rough and nasty. Those were all understatements with the hunting area running from 8-9500 feet. Many bulls were safe from me as getting to them and packing out would be a tough haul.

This was to be a DIY with my BIL. He wasn't able to complete the application due to an old account. I still wanted to go DIY but my wife insisted I go guided as it's such a rare draw and for safety (her piece of mind). I conceded and glad I did, I had a much better time and learned more in one trip than I could have 3 solo trips.

Big 5x5 down at 550 yards. Gonna be a late night.

We did 11 miles on the day I killed gaining 1200 feet total and topping at 9400 feet. We did 24 miles in 4 days gaining 1000 feet most days. We packed out the front shoulders and gear the night I killed. My packed weighed 75 pounds with shoulder, rifle and gear. We came in the next day with a mule to finish the job.

This has been a 30 year dream come true. I walked off the mountain just a little emotional. I don't know if I'd do this difficult of a hunt again but glad I have. My young fit local guide is licking his wounds to give you an idea of what we did.

These pics don't do justice to the beauty or rugged steepness of this area.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Slick8; 11-03-2021, 03:52 PM.

Can't see the pics, but it sounds awesome. It's one of my bucket list hunts for sure!
    Congrats on the bull!

Comment

Elk trip is bucket list trip for me one day! Congrats on scratching it off your list!

Comment

Dang, loaded on Tap and can't see them on the desktop. Working on it.

Had to resize them, should see them now.

Dang rookie....
        Last edited by Slick8; 11-03-2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Yup congrats waiting on pics!

Comment

Great looking bull. Thanks for sharing. I can see the pics.

Comment

Beautiful animal! Congrats

Comment

Awesome!!!!

Big congrats to you.

Comment

Here's a few more pics of some scenery.

A green chili cheese burger, one of the best burgers I've had the pleasure of.

Lastly for the Breaking bad fans. Here I am in NM and was sent to an area of public land to check my rifles zero. I found Walt's motor home parked in the "no dumping" shooting area...AKA the meth lab.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's a nice bull. Those pics of the scenery make me beg for oxygen but that's beautiful country. Congratulations on the accomplishment!

Comment

Awesome all the way around sir, congrats!

Comment

Awesome. Would love to do one of these hunts. Glad for you Op.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun, nice bull.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                            That's a nice bull. Those pics of the scenery make me beg for oxygen but that's beautiful country. Congratulations on the accomplishment!
                            This is a life saver for 50 year old flat landers.

I measured recovery time with and without and it was considerably better.

Lots lots and lots of water, limited caffeine and no booze during the trip until the hunt and recovery was completed. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211103-173025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	24666639

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that’s awesome. Great bull. Glad I did it 32 years ago while I could still climb. Congrats sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X