No announcement yet.

Which 300 to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised the .243 and 6mm guys talking bout shot placement haven't shown up on this thread talking bout how many big bulls they have taken at 600+ yards

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      I'm surprised the .243 and 6mm guys talking bout shot placement haven't shown up on this thread talking bout how many big bulls they have taken at 600+ yards
      Not everyone can take an elk at 600 yards with a .22 Hornet.

On a serious note, I'd pick the .300 Win Mag for two reasons: ammo availability and the ability to shoot heavier bullets. For longer ranges moving up to something like the 200 grain Accubond or GameKing gives you better energy and less wind drift. The WSM case is too compact for bullets over 180 grains. You lose too much powder space.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
        Not everyone can take an elk at 600 yards with a .22 Hornet.

On a serious note, I'd pick the .300 Win Mag for two reasons: ammo availability and the ability to shoot heavier bullets. For longer ranges moving up to something like the 200 grain Accubond or GameKing gives you better energy and less wind drift. The WSM case is too compact for bullets over 180 grains. You lose too much powder space.

LWD
        Bingo!
        168 is the heaviest I load for my 300WSM and still keep the velocity I want. Case necks are too short and freebore on some guns are not long enough plus the magazine won't allow much more length. With 300 Win mag you can go up to 220 gr easy enough and still get full power and fit in the mag well.

Comment

I went 300 wthby. My die hard mountain hunting buddies and uncle both shoot and reload 300 wsm. They all told me their reasons were… much lighter overall payload for humping through mountains, similar ballistics to WM and much less recoil.

Comment

I personally would not have any heartburn about shooting elk with the 7mm-08 and a good bullet. I have seen what they can do on big animals. On elk I would keep it 300 yards or so with the 7mm-08. I’m very certain that if you can kill them with a sharp stick then a 7mm bullet will do just fine.

Comment

Picked up a 300 win mag from Alamo precision and couldn’t be happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                I personally would not have any heartburn about shooting elk with the 7mm-08 and a good bullet. I have seen what they can do on big animals. On elk I would keep it 300 yards or so with the 7mm-08. I’m very certain that if you can kill them with a sharp stick then a 7mm bullet will do just fine.

I’m thinking hard on using it next year. Will be trying out some 140 Accubonds.

Comment

300wsm with a 22”-24” barrel would be my pick for a compact elk gun.
                  I think the 300RCM was made for even shorter barrels but I have no experience with it. I always hunt suppressed, so I’m always trying to find effective short rigs

Comment

I went through all this last year, ended up with a Hell's Canyon Speed in 300 WSM. I like the short action for weight and OAL reduction and the WSM is plenty fast. The HCS is light enough but not too light and comes with a mild factory brake if you want one or just keep the thread protector on it. It's a nice rifle but not super high end so I don't feel weird about kicking it around in the mountains. Factory trigger is pretty good and the coating should keep the rust at bay.
                    Last edited by justletmein; 11-03-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I ended up deciding on a Seekins Havoc in 300 Win. Will be picking it up this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                        Thanks for all the input. I ended up deciding on a Seekins Havoc in 300 Win. Will be picking it up this weekend.
                        Sweet! Update us on how it shoots! I was tempted to build a custom one off a Havoc action a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                          I bet you'll be pleased. Those Havak's are super nice. Hard to beat for a factory rifle.

Comment

Working...
                          X