6.5 Creedmoor Penetration on Deer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    Anybody have any pictures of the wounds where the bullet blew up on the hide? I can’t say I’ve ever seen that. I’ve seen where penetration could have better just never saw one blow up on the hide.
    No pictures but those 7stw 140gr would break one shoulder on a nilgai and then be fragmented not taking out both lungs, but that’s on a nilgai, bet they would punch a deer no problem

Comment

Anybody have any pictures of the wounds where the bullet blew up on the hide? I can’t say I’ve ever seen that. I’ve seen where penetration could have better just never saw one blow up on the hide.
      I’ve seen Atips out of a 22 creed bow up on impact on a big axis cull haha. We were ready for that. Just wanted to try it.

Comment

My favorite hunting Bullet is the Nosler Partition.

I just wish they would make a tipped version of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My son and I have a couple 6.5 manbuns and they kill deer, hogs and other critters just fine, at least at normal ranges. We shoot factory Hornady ELD-X bullets. All pass throughs, no issues at all with finding our deer. Some run a little ways, some drop dead. All depends on where you shoot them. The biggest critter we have killed with them is an aoudad my son shot and dropped in his tracks. He had a pass through on that big nasty sucker. We have had pass throughs on all of our deer and hogs with them too.

It's like any other chambering. Pick a good bullet, put it where it needs to go and you won't have any issues.

Comment

I have been using the 6.5 Creedmoor for several years now and have about a dozen kills from it with most of the kills being whitetail deer and a few axis deer. I have been mainly using the Hornady ELD-X in 143 grain but could switch that up soon with bonded bullet or something stronger. A 243 is a fantastic round and consider continuing to use the round unless you just want another caliber. I would say buy it and let us know how you do!

A few notables with using the round.

1. You cannot find ammo for it now which is a hassle.
            2. All of the animals that I have shot, I have NOT had an exit ever from an ELD-X but on the other side I have not had one go more than 30 yards after being shot. I do shoot behind the shoulder because there is no meat there unless you eat deer ribs.
            3. Recoil from the gun is very mild and it is a pleasure to shoot.
            4. The round itself is great on just about anything and it seems like most people now days own one or even two of them.
            5. I do think as to why they got so popular so quick is that they look like a bullet and not a fat girl in a Honda like some of the other more popular rounds (just my opinion).

Comment

Yes, I will try to send a picture later and attach it to the thread but I have had an ELD-X blow up on an Axis doe rib and got a kill shot on the second hit. I ended up getting a pillow made out of the hide and it is noticeable as to where the bullet blew up on the hide from the first hit. It was about an 80 yard shot on an Axis doe.

Comment

Not a 6.5 creed and not a hunting bullet and not on the hide, but here is a picture (and accompanying story) of a match bullet blowing up at point of impact on a hog. The next match bullet did not blow up however.

Comment

There are 2 thoughts here.
                  1) Have the bullet enter and never exit. All of the energy is dissipated internally.
                  2) Have a bullet pass complete through. Gives you 2 holes but you did not use all the energy of the round.

Its personal preference here. I want 2 holes. If I hit the high shoulder they drop either way. If I have to put it behind the shoulder then I get a pass through.

Body size of the animal plays a huge role as well a bullet construction.
                  I want a bonded base solid core.
                  The old hill country deer dropped like a sack of bricks from a 243 a star county mature buck took that same load and never left a drop of blood. Killed them both. size and placement is key.

Thats why over the years I have all my kids shooting 300wm. one gun one bullet all over the US
                  teach them to shoot it. The recoil is recoil ... it only is bad because you were told its bad.
                  On the bench is the only time I have ever felt recoil. maybe just me
                  Last edited by powderburner; 10-22-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                    I know you said no target rounds but I would not shy away from the ELDM's. I think they perform better than the ELDX's. My experience is with a .260 so not a creed but very similar ballistics.
                    This....after 6-7 deer and about 50 hogs with my Creedmoor I think the ELD-M is one of the wickedest hunting bullets around. They open up more than the ELD-X but they don't "blow up". We have had exits on everything we have shot (and we have shot several 200lb-plus hogs. If anything, I think the X is just a little too stout for deer.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      This....after 6-7 deer and about 50 hogs with my Creedmoor I think the ELD-M is one of the wickedest hunting bullets around. They open up more than the ELD-X but they don't "blow up". We have had exits on everything we have shot (and we have shot several 200lb-plus hogs. If anything, I think the X is just a little too stout for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X