Question of the day ( trucks )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question of the day ( trucks )

My 06 Silverado has an issue with the engine. Pretty much could be anything from just new lifters or lifters and cam to engine rebuild. I should get report back in a day or two. So question is would you rather have a 5k engine in a 6k truck or a 50k or higher ne truck?

Regardless of the diagnosis im having the repairs done. Cant imagine a note on a new truck but that's just me. Probably lots of good justification for a new truck as well

$5k engine. When my Tundra finally craps out I will repower and keep rolling. It’s been paid off for 7 years now, 2010 model.

Comment

My 2019 is half the truck my 05 is.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

How many miles are on it ? I have an '06 Z71, with 240,000, still running strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
          How many miles are on it ? I have an '06 Z71, with 240,000, still running strong.
          5.3 with 240k. I am hoping its just the lifters and a valve. The #2 cylinder started misfiring halfway to Nacogdoches last friday. Shop out there is looking at it today

Comment

repower. I have an 08' Silverado with 330K on it. had transmission rebuilt at 204K

Comment

Depends if your a status symbol guy like most. Needs those new truck payments with an F250, driving in the city on a 5-7 year note. Ill pass

Mine been paid off for 4 years.

Comment

Stick a GM rebuilt crate engine in it. They used to carry a warranty at any dealership if they were installed by an ASE certified tech.

Comment

Crate GM Vortec Gen III 5.3L without VVT and all new coil paks.
                  Good for another 200K +

For a little more pulling power an LQ4 6.0L will bolt right in.

Comment

New engine. I have a 2012 F250, and I plan to go that route. Granted it's a diesel, but same concept.

How strong is your transmission? Worth considering replacement if you have the motor out at the same time.

Comment

Paid off? Get rid of the electronics and put an old school 350 in it- something that is dependable and easy to work on! With the way things are going in this day and time think simple ! Get a spare alternator, starter, hoses belts , water pump and carb and store them in a ( for now) climate controlled environment! That may be too much to think about lol so if it were me I would get a nice crate motor, shove it in there and drive on ;-)
                      Last edited by Bucknaked; 10-13-2021, 11:16 AM. Reason: Content

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        Crate GM Vortec Gen III 5.3L without VVT and all new coil paks.
                        Good for another 200K +

For a little more pulling power an LQ4 6.0L will bolt right in.
                        If i end up needing a new engine ill mention these options...I'd like a tad more power.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          New engine. I have a 2012 F250, and I plan to go that route. Granted it's a diesel, but same concept.

How strong is your transmission? Worth considering replacement if you have the motor out at the same time.
                          Trans seems fine but with my luck it will need rebuilt a week after this deal is done

Comment

fix her upper here too........I dont do payments.......of course your mileage may vary

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              My 06 Silverado has an issue with the engine. Pretty much could be anything from just new lifters or lifters and cam to engine rebuild. I should get report back in a day or two. So question is would you rather have a 5k engine in a 6k truck or a 50k or higher ne truck?

Regardless of the diagnosis im having the repairs done. Cant imagine a note on a new truck but that's just me. Probably lots of good justification for a new truck as well
                              Everyone hates truck or car notes. I know I do but with that said, my 2013 Ram 1500 had the same issue at 195000 miles and I opted to pay for the rebuild. About 4500 to replace lifters and cam. That was 2 years ago. This past February it happened again so I opted to just bite the bullet on a new truck. I’m glad I did it then cause truck prices got insane a few months later.

Comment

Working...
                              X