Dad Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad Question

If your 13 yo son/daughter had picked out a nice buck and was planning to go hunting with you this afternoon but bailed to hang out with buddies and the target buck walked in while you were hunting solo….would you shoot or save? This could be his first deer period. See buck in pic below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take pics and give him hell about it. It’s not the end of the world so no big deal.

Comment

I would smoke it, he would learn to come hunt when he can r someone else will.

Comment

Save, I have two (2) sons a 7 and 12yr old. I would definitely take pictures and show them what they missed out in though.

Comment

I would pass

Comment

Take pics and show him. Only a greedy dad would shoot a buck his son already set his hopes on.

Shooting it would be like punishing him for wanting to play with his friends.

Comment

Pics.

Comment

Dad

My initial thought was I’d smoke it. I have been telling my kids all their lives that decisions matter. I think the guys that suggested pictures are smarter than me and I like that idea better.

Truth is hunting has become about everything BUT killing a deer to me any more. Being with friends and family, watching creation come alive in the morning, and that hope that an animal the really ignites that need to shoot shows up.

Let the boy take his shot but rub it in bad that he blew it.

Comment

You pass but the older the kids get the less likely you are to pass! They have to decide if they want to hunt or hang out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Last thing you want to do is turn them away from hunting with you. Pass. It’s just a deer. Let em kill em when they can.

Comment

Hell my son is 30 and if it his target buck I don't shoot maybe I need to teach him a lesson [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the advice guys. My initial thought was shoot and teach a lesson on making decisions, but I think age is beginning to soften me some. I will most likely opt for pics. Hopefully, a slick headed nanny will walk in and make my choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It would be dead if he came out on me, sorry son should have went hintong. Maybe next time.

Comment

After 18 years old...different than 13 years old. I would have videoed him and showed him and hoped, he would hunt with me more. I started to lose my boys to friends around 13-15 as prior to they had spent every weekend with me and pops hunting and fishing and was disappointed when I went without them. It hurt me terribly initially as I took it personal.

Mine are now 22 and want has returned to the nest with hunting and fishing..the other one will soon one day I hope.

It was exactly the same for me and my dad, but at age 18-22...I returned after college.
                            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I don’t have a definite answer but at some point you also realize that they may be just as excited to see you get a nice buck and enjoy it as much as you would enjoy them being successful. When you have all the Dad answers write a book and I’ll buy the first copy.

Comment

Working...
                              X