Need help trying a retriever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help trying a retriever

When I was younger we had a lot of pointers and I had lots of time to help my dad with training.
    Now that I’m older I don’t have as much free time.
    I have a 10 month lab/gsp mix. I honestly think besides her looks we got the worst of the two breeds traits. Too gsp to retrieve good and too lab to point. She is really hard headed like most women and has been a tough shell to crack. I’d like to get her to listening to commands better and retrieving.
    She likes to play keep away more than retrieve and does not like to “come and sit/stay” she wants to run like the gsp in her.

What is the easiest methods to get her to do these two things? Our pointers were always there to run and point and we had labs that did the retrieving.

This one really has me beating my head in the wall because she is so free spirited and hard headed. Any good training camps in or near Ellis county?

Has she been to a trainer? A good trainer can get results when you can't and faster to boot.

Comment

Check out standing stone kennels on you tube. Lot of good information there. My opinion go back to the basics and get your obedience rock solid before moving on to retrieving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do they have ADD medication for dogs lol, we will have a couple good sessions and the next time she is just bouncing off the walls.

When I got her I thought, I’ve had GSP and I’ve had labs, these will be great. And I think she caught all the bad traits of both, lol. She is beautiful, looks like a chocolate GSP. But man can she test my patience.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
          Has she been to a trainer? A good trainer can get results when you can't and faster to boot.
          No, just me trying to work with her some.

Comment

I was about to say your dog has identity problems. But you already figured that out. Just be glad it's not sexual identity problems.

Comment

Find a trainer of your choice. If that is not an option, get an e collar and learn how to use it. If that it not an option, get a check cord.

Start short, maybe 6-8 feet. Sit, stay, come. You can control the dog with the cord and either discipline or treat. Start off with short training periods, 5-10 minutes. Just do 1-2 times a day. As you get better control of the dog, lengthen the rope. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R 2 View Post
                Find a trainer of your choice. If that is not an option, get an e collar and learn how to use it. If that it not an option, get a check cord.

Start short, maybe 6-8 feet. Sit, stay, come. You can control the dog with the cord and either discipline or treat. Start off with short training periods, 5-10 minutes. Just do 1-2 times a day. As you get better control of the dog, lengthen the rope. Good luck.
                This.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks fo all input, that’s my normal routine but this one is starting to test my sanity

Comment

Pure bred labs will point (i've had two - still have one) and pure bred GSP's will out retrieve some labs ( I currently have one of those as well)... they have to have a job, every day... you have to be patient with that PUPPY and have reasonable expectations. 15 minutes a day is all it takes. Get Water Dog or Gun Dog by Wolters. It works. If you don't have the time to invest, find a trainer... and while your dog is at the trainer, figure out how you will make the time to continue to train and work the dog when it gets back - otherwise it will be wasted money.

The most important thing is remembering she is a working dog - and she needs to have a job, every day... otherwise she is going to be bat**** crazy. That pup will not settle in and settle down until she is 3yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by helibow View Post
                      Pure bred labs will point (i've had two - still have one) and pure bred GSP's will out retrieve some labs ( I currently have one of those as well)... they have to have a job, every day... you have to be patient with that PUPPY and have reasonable expectations. 15 minutes a day is all it takes. Get Water Dog or Gun Dog by Wolters. It works. If you don't have the time to invest, find a trainer... and while your dog is at the trainer, figure out how you will make the time to continue to train and work the dog when it gets back - otherwise it will be wasted money.

The most important thing is remembering she is a working dog - and she needs to have a job, every day... otherwise she is going to be bat**** crazy. That pup will not settle in and settle down until she is 3yrs old.

Lot of wisdom in this post.
                      I will add, IF you decide to to the training yourself, you MUST teach your pup what NO means... Until you can do that, nothing else will work. No means stop doing what you are doing and do something else until you don't hear no...
                      Wolter's approach to training especially labs works very well. It's what I have always used in principle... Get you a choke collar, leash and whistle and use them all the time when training... That lease means control to the pup. Once she gets used to having that lease on her and knowing that she must submit to it, just clipping it to her collar will calm her down.
                      Make training serious business (assuming you have completed the bonding with the dog and she knows you are her master and partner). Training is not play time. It can be fun time, but not play time... She must be under control with the leash 100% of the time until she knows without a shadow of a doubt what is expected of her...

Good luck!! (you're gonna need it! )

Comment

Originally posted by helibow View Post

Oh I know, it took my last gsp until about 6-7 to finally slow down a little. I’ll check out the book.

Comment

Working...
                        X