Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any such thing as good wasp spray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any such thing as good wasp spray?

Yesterday afternoon I took the time to drive to each of our box blinds to prep them for the upcoming season. You know the routine, clean out left over trash, wipe down the windows, but most importantly to make sure there were NO wasps in the blinds.
    I crept up to every one of our blinds to find the majority had some sort of wasp nest carefully hidden in one of the hard to get to places. I'd gingerly open the hasp on the door, slowly opening the door just wide enough to look inside. I'd scan the interior of the blind to locate any stinging insects that may be lurking inside. Armed with a can of some el cheapo wasp spray I'd pray that nothing would fly my way. Whenever I encountered the coffee saucer sized nests I'd aim the can of death at the selected target fully expecting to watch the flying demons crash to their deaths once I squeezed the trigger on the can.
    What??..nothing but foam.
    Those wasps would simply buzz their wings a few times in a highly agitated state taking flight and doing their best to fly like a poison dart directly at me.
    I managed to duck and dive out of the way all afternoon. I avoided receiving a single sting. However, my satisfaction with any kind of wasp's spray is NOT what it once was.
    I haven't found a "new" version of wasp spray that has the same killing power as we did "back in the day".
    Anybody have any good recommendations for kill on contact wasps spray?
    TIA.

Brake cleaner and a lighter

Comment

This exact one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
        Brake cleaner wont kill them alone. I'll have to try the lighter next time [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Pump up sprayer with soapy water.

Comment

You need to put the insecticide dipped cattle tags in every blind around June/July and you will have ZERO insects….. EVER!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
              You need to put the insecticide dipped cattle tags in every blind around June/July and you will have ZERO insects….. EVER!!
              This

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                This

This is true, otherwise burn the with a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post

Brake cleaner will not light on fire….

Comment

Use the soapy water. They can’t even fly. Suffocate in seconds I haven’t used spray in years

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Brake cleaner will not light on fire….

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

It’s the aerosol that sort of burns…on a burn barrel. It won’t light with a lighter.

Sorry, I will be super specific next time.

Comment

Soapy water is all you need. Cheap and easy

Comment

Diesel kills them instantly. Brake parts cleaner is also pretty much instant for most insects, as long as you get some of the good stuff and not the environmentally safe crap. My wife buys insect poisons off all kinds. I just grab a can of brake parts cleaner and kill them instantly. The stuff she buys, the keep on going, eventually a couple days later you find them dead.

A old farmer taught me the diesel trick. I can tell you it will drop them dead instantly even flying. If it hits them they are dead.

If you can find a refillable aerosol can, maybe a spray bottle. Then fill it up and spray them. The aerosol can would probably be better. What I was told to do, was a coffee can of diesel and toss the diesel at them. Everyone of them it would hit, would drop instantly. I had to kill a few million yellow jackets off of a stacked drilling rig, before I could get to work. I would guess the rig had been sitting there a few years. Everywhere possible for there to be a nest, there were many huge nests. I figured out quickly they came in two sizes. There were some smaller ones, then some noticeably bigger ones. All of the ones on a particular nest were of the same size.

When you got stung each subspecies had a noticeably different sting. The bigger ones were more like getting hit by a red wasp. The little ones were more like someone stabbed you very hard with a needle. The bigger ones sting would definitely last longer. The smaller ones were more like a scorpion sting, in 20 minutes you hardly knew you had been stung.

When there are probably 5000 of them under the overhang on the end of a dog house and you chunk a coffee can of diesel at one of the nests and there are probably 25 huge nests under that over hang. You will get stung eventually. I did manage to kill probably 98% of all of those suckers on the whole rig, in a couple of days. I would bet easily over a million of those striped *******s.

If I could have had a water soaker, then filled it with diesel. I could have made quick work of those little *******s.

Comment

Bug bomb. Toss it in like a hand grenade and close the door.

Comment

Working...
                              X