What kind of wasp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of wasp?

Smaller than a honey bee but look like a wasp with brown and yellow stripes. Much smaller than a paper wasp but build a similar nest. They took umbrage to me running a leaf blower and popped me twice on the ear - for being so small they pack a pretty good punch. 24 hours later I still have a swollen lump.

Sounds like what we call guinea wasp.
    Last edited by hogslayer78; 08-31-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Murder hornet

Comment

Yellow jacket perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post

Comment

guinea wasp

Comment

If nesting above ground Guinea wasp. sound like you ccx described a yellow jacket though. Yellow jackets nest in ground typically though.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                Yep.

Comment

We always call them yellow jackets, but guinea wasps is correct

Comment

Small, quick and aggressive...kill em all

Comment

Well, looks like I now know what got me about a month ago.

I was at the lease and went to pick up a aluminum ladder and sum beech two or three got me. Only one on my hand. Just glad it didnt hit near my ring finger. Its already been difficult to get off lately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3784.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	24661327
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3792.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	24661328

As been said, they were small, fast and aggressive and definitely pack a punch. Think they hurt more than the big ones.

Revenge was had, but took a week for hand to get back to normal and I now store ladders up there upside down.

J

Comment

Had a little one like that get down my shirt last week and hammer me between the shoulder blades.

They almost remind me of a very large winged drone ant?? except with a striped rear end

Comment

I looked up guinea wasp and sure enough that's it. Apparently it is in the same family of "paper wasps" that includes their larger cousins which we commonly call yellow jackets - the ones who make the honeycomb shaped nests in our deer blinds and under the eaves. As was stated above true yellow jackets are stubbier and nest in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            I looked up guinea wasp and sure enough that's it. Apparently it is in the same family of "paper wasps" that includes their larger cousins which we commonly call yellow jackets - the ones who make the honeycomb shaped nests in our deer blinds and under the eaves. As was stated above true yellow jackets are stubbier and nest in the ground
                            Them ground nesters pawpaw always called ground hornets! You run them suckers over with a lawn mower and you wont be on it very long! Mean little bastages!

Comment

Little stiped demons have a very bad attitude

Comment

Working...
                              X