Advice on gun build for my boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on gun build for my boy

My son has expressed the desire to build his own gun. He is 11, has a heart of gold, an advid hunter, and I want to make this dream a reality. So, I am in the market for information, and possible builds or build ideas. My first thought is AR due to availability of parts. Or, the 10/22 arena. Anyone done this with their son? Any suggestions or ideas? I wanted to hand him a bucket full of parts for Christmas and a promise of time spent doing it together. Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Great idea. Either sounds like a win. You need some special tools for the AR. Basic tools for the 10/22. Brownells is making a 10/22 receiver if you want something different.

Comment

10/22 would be cool. I've always wanted to trick one out.

Build that and keep a lower tucked away to build together once he's older.

Comment

I dont know if its still up and running but RimfireCentral.com used to have a plethera of 10/22 build info.
        Last edited by Walker; 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          10/22 would be cool. I've always wanted to trick one out.

Build that and keep a lower tucked away to build together once he's older.
          That’s something to think about. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by 686PPP View Post
            Great idea. Either sounds like a win. You need some special tools for the AR. Basic tools for the 10/22. Brownells is making a 10/22 receiver if you want something different.
            Wow. That’s super nice. I would love to do that but a little outside my total budget. So I guess I should say on a $400-$500 or less budget. I know an entry AR can be built for that which is why I mentioned it. But I love the 10/22 idea. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I dont know if its still up and running but RimfireCentral.com used to have a plethera of 10/22 build info.
              It appears to be up and running. I will definitely check this out. Thank you!

Comment

I’d say a .223/5.56 AR from psa, my uncle showed me how to build one and it was fun! He will be hooked after the first one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                  I’d say a .223/5.56 AR from psa, my uncle showed me how to build one and it was fun! He will be hooked after the first one!

Thank you!

Comment

Coming from a kids perspective, when I build it I’m going too want to get some blood with it. If he’s satisfied with killing steel, paper, and rabbits go with the 10/22. If you think he’s going too want too use it as he gets older on deer and pigs, the AR platform is the way to go.

Comment

I agree, AR is the way to go, so many calibers to choose that can fit in the mag well of an AR-15. All you need is different uppers with different bolt groups.

Comment

also, if he wants to plink with .22 long rifle, there is a .223 conversion kit that will work with a .223 upper already in place.

Comment

Sanders Armory has very good prices on parts for AR builds. You will need punches and small roll pin starters to build but they are relatively cheap. A decent tool kit for builds can be bought for less than $100 and you can use them on your next build. Have built guns with and for grandkids and it is not that hard to do. Catch parts on sale and do it cheap.
                          sandersarmoryusa.com

Comment

I would say the AR as well. Easy to find parts easy to build and a fun gun to shoot. Also primary arms has kits you can get pretty inexpensive as well.

Comment

Just please if he builds an ar make him wear ear plugs when he shoots it! Ridiculously loud!

Comment

Working...
                              X