Chickens - What do you feed them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chickens - What do you feed them?

Looking for ways to feed our chickens in addition to some regular chicken pellet feed.

Do any of you farm meal worms, earthworms, or anything else to feed them? Or trap grasshoppers, crickets or other insects?

I'm new to this game. We let our chickens out for 2-3 hours each evening. Not brave enough to let them out more yet as we have hawks and owls close by.

All your table scraps to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Chicken Scratch mix?? Gives them something to mess with and forage for. And left overs from the kitchen, especially fruits.....

Comment

Table scraps. They will eat just about anything.

Comment

They will eat anything. Ours get all of our leftovers. Old bread, crackers, chips. They won’t eat raw onions or raw potatoes as far as I know.

Comment

Table scraps they will eat anything! I also throw scratch in the run every day to make it interesting for em.

Comment

We do give them table scraps.

I see some on TBH have 20+ chickens. Figured some have though out neat ideas to keep them fed.

And I plan to plant extra stuff in the garden for them in the spring. What grows easiest? I know okra grows all summer so may try that.
              Last edited by RiverRat1; 10-16-2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                Table scraps. They will eat just about anything.
                This.. I've raised chickens, for years.
                The best eggs, come from free range.
                They do each have, their own personality.
                have some fun.

Comment

We feed ours scraps and pellets.. we also scatter chicken scratch around so they stir the shavings up and keep the poop broken up..They like grass clippings too. I usually try to blow some of the clippings through the wire when I'm mowing.. My wife let's ours out in the evening for a couple hours a few times a week.
                  Our coop is 18 by 21 I clean it out a couple months before I plant my garden in the spring.. till it in and I usually don't have to put commercial fertilizer in the garden .

Comment

mine free range and chase the hell out of grasshoppers. They love meat

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      We do give them table scraps.

I see some on TBH have 20+ chickens. Figured some have though out neat ideas to keep them fed.

And I plan to plant extra stuff in the garden for them in the spring. What grows easiest? I know okra grows all summer so may try that.
                      Squash has always done good. They love the seeds, so busy them open when you feed them.

When we lived on the ranch, we had tons of yard birds. I'd let them out at daylight, and they had been taught to coop up at night.
                      They loved to go chasing grasshoppers and other bugs around.

Besides scraps, I never fed them anything extra besides layer pellets.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yard buzzards

Comment

They eat everything, any bug, lizards, snakes, frogs, seeds, grass, if it grows or hops, crawls, slithers, they eat it.

Comment

Any intestines. I used to dump the deer's innerds in a hole and they would have it cleaned up in a couple of days, and then lay like crazy for a week.
                            Backyard buzzards...

Comment

We feed ours table scraps and they freerange all day every day. We have hawks and owls and haven’t lost a chicken yet. We have around 32 right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X