No announcement yet.

Age this spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking the original deer posted could be this deer from the last 2 years we’ve had on camera. Always just been a little funky looking spike and usually breaks everything off and is basically a nub before end of October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely not a yearling buck, weird one for sure

Comment

I get what you are saying. I looked at all of that too. He is missing a sagging back, pot belly, tarsal glands are white as snow. He looks like he has an overbite, which can indicate an older buck. He is "long legged" looking, indicative of a younger deer.

I wouldn't argue with you about it. I wouldn't be surprised either way and was on the fence to be honest. He has indicators for both ages, that being the case, I would lean a little older than young.

Yeah, that's a good one. Send your pic with your description to QDMA, "Age This Buck" forum.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          I get what you are saying. I looked at all of that too. He is missing a sagging back, pot belly, tarsal glands are white as snow. He looks like he has an overbite, which can indicate an older buck. He is "long legged" looking, indicative of a younger deer.

I wouldn't argue with you about it. I wouldn't be surprised either way and was on the fence to be honest. He has indicators for both ages, that being the case, I would lean a little older than young.

Yeah, that's a good one. Send your pic with your description to QDMA, "Age This Buck" forum.

I see it your way too. Im on your side of with just looking at antlers, or the lack of them lol, and body he’s hard to to determine. But when you look at certain parts, he looks like an old deer. It’s a tough one to determine but I think I’ve got history with this deer. (Indicated in the pic above).

I really started this thread because of garguy. And I wish he’d give some insight on this because he is the one that got me thinking about it. We are on a lease with few people and a lot of acreage. I (think) I’ve seen this deer on camera for a couple years and he’s never been more than a runt. There seems to be deer that never amount to anything. That people pass, and pass again until next thing you know we have bucks (runts) that are super old don’t get any bigger than this one.

Comment

Looks old to me.

Comment

I'm not sure, but if I had several spikes and I thought one was over 2, it be in the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by SETXHUNT0902 View Post
                I see it your way too. Im on your side of with just looking at antlers, or the lack of them lol, and body he’s hard to to determine. But when you look at certain parts, he looks like an old deer. It’s a tough one to determine but I think I’ve got history with this deer. (Indicated in the pic above).

I really started this thread because of garguy. And I wish he’d give some insight on this because he is the one that got me thinking about it. We are on a lease with few people and a lot of acreage. I (think) I’ve seen this deer on camera for a couple years and he’s never been more than a runt. There seems to be deer that never amount to anything. That people pass, and pass again until next thing you know we have bucks (runts) that are super old don’t get any bigger than this one.

Hey! Lace that puppy, the worst that could happen is he would make great sausage.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    Definitely not a yearling buck, weird one for sure
                    100%

The head tells me he is not 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      Looks old to me.
                      same.

Comment

Looks old to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                          It’s a 7.5 yr old antlered doe
                          I was gonna say doe as well

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            I was gonna say doe as well

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Glad someone else here knows what they’re looking at

Comment

Not trying to steal the OPs Spike Thunder, but we had one in Blanco County last year no one will ever convince me was a young (1.5 yo) deer. We screwed up not whacking him. Thoughts?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edW_R1sBAw"]Spike - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                                Not trying to steal the OPs Spike Thunder, but we had one in Blanco County last year no one will ever convince me was a young (1.5 yo) deer. We screwed up not whacking him. Thoughts?

Spike - YouTube

Yes, 1.5/2

Comment

Working...
                                X