No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made this shot on a buck in 2019 against my better judgment. He died 30 yards later and bled like a stuck pig, but looking back now I don’t think I would take the shot again. A lot could go wrong at that angle. It worked for me, but only because the good Lord wanted it to.

Comment

There's not much room between the big neck and brisket bones and that big shoulder bone to get an arra thru, and if it hits a rib at a steep angle, it can deflect and slide between the shoulder and rib cage and never enter the vital area... Still, IF you can hit your spot and the deer doesn't move too much, it's a very lethal hit... just a high error percentage shot... I'd take it if I felt comfortable with all the factors at the time...

Comment

Depending on exact angle of that shot the shooter has a spot baseball-softball sized to be deadly. A Turkey has a kill zone about the same size reguardless of its angle.
        Never take a shot you are not comfortable with
        Practice to minimize those shots your uncomfortable with

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Depending on exact angle of that shot the shooter has a spot baseball-softball sized to be deadly. A Turkey has a kill zone about the same size reguardless of its angle.
          Never take a shot you are not comfortable with
          Practice to minimize those shots your uncomfortable with
          Yep spot on... Like the saying, "Aim small, miss small"...

When I was a younger man, we had a duck/goose lease (before the days of steel shot) and there were 2 older gentlemen on it that shot .410 bore shotguns goose hunting... They killed as many or probably more geese than anyone on the lease... I asked them why they shot .410's... They told me they dove hunt with them and a goose's head is about the size of a dove and they fly much more steadily and straight as well as slower than doves... They figger'd if they can kill doves with their .410's they should be able to kill geese...

Comment

quartering toward

I shot a mule deer doe facing me years ago with a compound and she went down in about 20 feet. Having said that I did alot of things when I was inexperienced. That was 30 plus years ago and I would never take that shot or this shot nowdays. I always go slight quarter away and rarely broadside. I like to hit the off shoulder every shot. My 2 cents 100s of bow killed animals later. when you say impossible 15 with longbow last season and I am getting old. for what its worth. good luck

Comment

I’m not taking that shot! Too much chance for me to screw things up. I’ll wait for slightly quartering away, or broadside.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This is a real hunting situation I was in (different pic…. But same concept)

Your walking to your stand… I was on public, but private will work too. As I rounded the end of a logging wind row I slapped a branch and caught the attention of a buck that everyone in camp was after. He charged in looking for the deer in his territory and stood head up with me at 18 yards…. The doe he was looking for was honest to God under my left boot in the brush pile. I nocked an arrow and knew the second she breaks it’s all over… 18 yards… you gonna shoot? Or “wait for that perfect quartering away”?

Of course in legal shooting light. This was at about 1pm
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  That's a death lick if you can confidently put the arra there and miss that big shoulder bone. In the pic, it's not clear, but looks like the shooter actually got a bit of that big bone... A direct hit in that knuckle with a light arra may not get enough penetration to be immediately lethal, though a broken front leg and infection would likely be eventually lethal...

The arrow was a 475gr FMJ & yes sir it shattered that bone.

Would I take the shot again? I’m not sure. This was probably my 3rd or 4th year bow hunting. So I was pretty inexperienced. But someone told me that the quartering to shots are not lethal. So I had to prove them wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                    The arrow was a 475gr FMJ & yes sir it shattered that bone.

Would I take the shot again? I’m not sure. This was probably my 3rd or 4th year bow hunting. So I was pretty inexperienced. But someone told me that the quartering to shots are not lethal. So I had to prove them wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like shattering that big bone on the exit side but sure do my best not to do it going in!

Comment

I would not choose that shot after years of hunting. Probably took the first 10 years of hunting to realize that though. Doesn’t mean I don’t still make some bad choices today but 30 years later, they’re a little less is all with higher odds.

Comment

Working...
                      X