Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Above ground pool has a leak. How to find it question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Above ground pool has a leak. How to find it question..

I don't know how it happened, but my pool leaked out about 12000 gallons. It has stopped leaking with about 1 foot of water left in the pool. I'm guessing that since it stopped the leak is in the sidewall. All of the ground is wet in one area outside the pool so I'm thinking I need to start looking in that area.

Any helpful suggestions?

Add water and visually inspect

Comment

That's a tough one. Try taking an air hose and blowing against the liner along the water line starting where the ground is wet. You might see the hole open up under the air stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        That's a tough one. Try taking an air hose and blowing against the liner along the water line starting where the ground is wet. You might see the hole open up under the air stream.
        Or the water rippling in the pool...

Comment

If air doesn't work take water hose inside and squirt water against inside of pool lining. Someone outside could look for a leak. Might save you a little water. Just a WAG.

Comment

Or you could fill it above the leak line and put drops of dye in the pool one drp at a time and maybe it will go to the leak.

Comment

Get down low and use the sun to see change in color of the liner.

Comment

The problem is there is a metal exterior to the pool. It's got a liner inside that has sprung a leak.

Comment

Ahhh. Well that makes it a lot more difficult. Looks like you’re going wading.

Comment

I have only done it once, but fill the pool back up a little and get in with food coloring. Work your way around the area that is wet, squirt a drop every few inches. When you get close to the hole you will see it suck the coloring out instead of dissipating.

Comment

If the lining is not attached to the metal you might could us an air compressor and blow air between the two and look for bubbles on the inside. Just another WAG.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Or you could fill it above the leak line and put drops of dye in the pool one drp at a time and maybe it will go to the leak.
                        This is the method they have used on two of our pools over the years.

Comment

Dig a hole next to with a trachoe and scrape it in hole and cover with backfill. You're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            Dig a hole next to with a trachoe and scrape it in hole and cover with backfill. You're welcome
                            You’re such a ray of sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                              This is the method they have used on two of our pools over the years.
                              That's what I think I'm going to have to do. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X