Boy's Broken Jaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy's Broken Jaw

Many of you may have seen this on Facebook but I wanted to post here as I know folks here would like to know, and don't do Facebook.

Friday afternoon, before the 1st game of the season, Dane and a teammate collided in practice and the result for my son was a broken jaw. Their game Saturday was in Odessa and he rode with the team from New Mexico State to there where we met up with him. We went hoping to watch him play but instead got to watch him watch his teammates.

Friday morning, he will have his jaws wired shut. He will be in that state for 6 weeks. His meals will consist of anything we can convert to liquid and he can stomach to eat THROUGH A SYRINGE!. I'm hearing he can expect to lose 10-15% of his body weight. He's here for the rest of the semester and we're hoping the time flies by for him...and for us.

If you're so inclined, keep Team Morris in your prayers. He was really excelling on the field and had a bright season ahead of him. He'll bounce back but this next 6 weeks might be a bit rough for a kid that enjoys his meals!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3435.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	25247295

Name:	IMG_3436.jpg
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	25247296

Name:	IMG_3437.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	25247297

Ouch. Prayers for a full recovery.

Comment

Wow prayers up for the young man.

Comment

people thought i was weird for doing it, but when i had oral surgery i just ran my normal meals through a blender. I had lasagna, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes etc. i wasnt about to live off shakes and such

Comment

That stinks and prayers up!
          I had major reconstructive jaw surgery when I was 16 to correct a hereditary bone issue. Wired shut for about 6 weeks and eating through a syringe- lost about 30 lbs.
          I had a cookbook of nothing but blender foods- most were horrific!
          Best thing was drinking protein shakes 3 times a day and my mom made a potato soup with massive amounts of butter and cream- anything to keep weight on.
          The worst (I was in ICU for 4 days after the surgery, hospital for another 3 and then home) was coming off the pain meds and throwing up- darn near choked a few times.
          Good luck in recovery- no fun but I've been there.

Comment

Prayers up.

Comment

Prayers sent! He’ll recover nicely Dad!

Comment

Prayers for his recovery and that he can find a way to get through this without to much of an issue eating

Comment

One of my best friends had his jaw broken in college and had to have his jaw wired shut. Doctor made him wear a pair of wire snips around his neck in case he were to throw up he could get one of us to snip the wire so he wouldn't choke to death on it. They told him if he forgot them and was in that situation to have one of us knock his teeth out, luckily it never came to that. He lost an insane amount of weight, looked like a completely different person.

Comment

Oh my. So sorry to hear this.

Prayers for a full and quick recovery.

Comment

Prayers sent Casey.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this Casey.

Comment

Ouch!!!! Prayers up for him!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                            people thought i was weird for doing it, but when i had oral surgery i just ran my normal meals through a blender. I had lasagna, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes etc. i wasnt about to live off shakes and such
                            ^Same, sometimes had to add water but it was better then nothing. I was able to drink without chewing.

Pray sent.

Comment

Broke my jaw in 2 places in 2002 A Horse kicked me. It ain't no fun I went from a solid 187 to 130ish the only thing that kept me from withering further was about 8 milk shakes a day with protein mixed in. The blended food doesn't work worth a darn everything clogs up trying to get through your teeth. When he finally gets the wire cut off he won't be able to open his mouth but maybe 1/8th for a couple weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X