Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 04-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County
Default 200 Square Foot Tiny Workshop

I am excited to kick this off! I have always wanted a dedicated workshop, and while I've been able to work in my garages of the past, it's been a dream to design and build a space for my projects, hobbies, and "me time."

A little background - we moved to Rockport last year from Austin. Our Austin house had a decent sized garage, and I was able to organize and work freely within that space, plus I built a nice storage shed in the backyard to hold extra stuff.

The garage in our current house is much smaller. While technically a 2-car garage, it's only 20x19'. My kayak cart is on wheels, but it's 14x5' and I am constantly moving it around to accommodate project work. Ideally, I'd love to actually park my wife's car in here, and just use it as a garage.

So...

The Workshop

I made a simple gable-roof shed plan for the workshop. The foundation is 10x20' (200 square feet is the maximum I can build in my backyard without building permits, per the city). 8' walls, 9:12 roof pitch, 6' wide doors - I wanted to maximize the space for working, without having to take out any of our trees.

While I paid to have the slab poured, I will be building the workshop myself - learning as I go. I have experience with framing, siding and interior finishing, yet I am new at shingle roofing, full insulation, and from-scratch electrical layout.

I will run electricity from our house panel on a dedicated breaker for full (small) workshop capability. My current tools are all 120V, but I do want the option to upgrade to 220V pieces in the future.

This is a small space, and it will provide the challenge of keeping things neat and organized. I will be experimenting with different layouts and setups to maximize the space, and my productivity. I currently do most of my work with a table saw, miter saw, circular saw, drills, and hand tools. I hope to incorporate a router station, planer and/or jointer, drill press, and maybe even a welder.

I will be documenting my progress here and on my Make it Goode YouTube channel. Follow along, give advice, ask questions, and enjoy the ride!
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
Fajkus7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Conroe, Doss

Sounds good. I’ve been seriously considering building something similar in our back yard when our new house gets finished. In to see how it finishes out.
Fajkus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
goofiefoot
Ten Point

The first video is live - https://youtu.be/XeevBMx7HMY

Check it out. I walk through my plans around building the shop, and show footage from the slab pour.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Cool!

Here's a suggestion - put your electrical outlets high so you don't have to bend over to plug and unplug, plus you can put a table underneath. Put more outlets than you think you need.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Cool!

Here's a suggestion - put your electrical outlets high so you don't have to bend over to plug and unplug, plus you can put a table underneath. Put more outlets than you think you need.
Yessir, that's the plan! My workbench top is at 40", so I will have all outlets start just above that height and run one about every 3-4 feet on each wall.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
sendit
Ten Point

Good deal, every guy needs a place to build things. You mention that you will be doing it yourself and I very much respect that in a diy forum. Personally I am a hardcore diyír and love doing things myself but see more and more folks that just write checks to have subs/others do the work and call it a diy. Lol

You timing is a bit off due to the price of lumber being so high but then again you probably donít want to wait either. I have seen some tiny work spaces and itís amazing how you can fit a lot of things in a small area if thought out well. I see you are a guy that likes plans and having 3D models so that should make it a bit easier to do. Me on the other prefer to do it fly by wire style.
Good luck in the build, Iíll be watching here for updates.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #7
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
Good deal, every guy needs a place to build things. You mention that you will be doing it yourself and I very much respect that in a diy forum. Personally I am a hardcore diyír and love doing things myself but see more and more folks that just write checks to have subs/others do the work and call it a diy. Lol

You timing is a bit off due to the price of lumber being so high but then again you probably donít want to wait either. I have seen some tiny work spaces and itís amazing how you can fit a lot of things in a small area if thought out well. I see you are a guy that likes plans and having 3D models so that should make it a bit easier to do. Me on the other prefer to do it fly by wire style.
Good luck in the build, Iíll be watching here for updates.
Yeah, I'm certainly not thrilled about lumber prices. The government keeps shoving money I don't really need at me, so I might as well spend it on something useful.

I drew up all my plans in Adobe Illustrator so I know how much lumber I need and the sizes. It's worked well for me on other projects. I like having some sort of plan to reference - especially my own!
Old 04-30-2021, 08:12 PM   #8
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Very well thought out project, will enjoy your build, good luck with it.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 11:31 PM   #9
dogcatcher
Six Point

Put in more electrical outlets than you think you need, you will use them. Wall height, forget the 8 foot walls, go with 10 foot for studs, this with the roof slope give you a LOT OF GOOD STORAGE around the upper wall area. In the interior part the ceiling at 10 makes it easy to work with 8 foot long lumber and 4x8 sheets.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #10
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Why not 10 ft walls so you can really store a good amount on shelves or hanging from the ceiling?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #11
jb5001
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

10 ft ceiling also makes it easier to turn 8 ft boards end for end. With it only 10 ft wide, that will be a challenge sideways as well.

I didnít see the video, but put in lots of lights. Thereís nothing worse than having to move around so youíre not working in the shadows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb5001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #12
Southernhunters
Four Point

Agreed on the 10í walls. No reason not to, the additional cost will be minimal for lots more storage space!

Southernhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #13
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Cool!

I would suggest having at least one electrical and one air reel above center. They will help keep them off the floor so itís easier to sweep.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #14
dmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere

Check out this link. Don't know if it would be something you'd want, but the guy really maximized space. May give some ideas.

https://www.instructables.com/The-Sm...-in-the-World/
dmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #15
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Put in more electrical outlets than you think you need, you will use them. Wall height, forget the 8 foot walls, go with 10 foot for studs, this with the roof slope give you a LOT OF GOOD STORAGE around the upper wall area. In the interior part the ceiling at 10 makes it easy to work with 8 foot long lumber and 4x8 sheets.
I plan 3-4 outlets per wall, just above the height of my workbench for easy access. I will have at least one exterior outlet as well for working outside and yardwork.

For my site, 8ft was as high as I could go for the walls without taking out trees. The high-pitch open vault should make up for this. I'll be almost 12ft at the peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb5001 View Post
10 ft ceiling also makes it easier to turn 8 ft boards end for end. With it only 10 ft wide, that will be a challenge sideways as well.

I didnít see the video, but put in lots of lights. Thereís nothing worse than having to move around so youíre not working in the shadows.
I've been using 4ft LED shop lights in my last 2 garages, and they're awesome. Right now I plan to have 8 in this shop, which should be plenty.

Quote:
I would suggest having at least one electrical and one air reel above center. They will help keep them off the floor so itís easier to sweep.
Good call! I'll put it on the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk View Post
Check out this link. Don't know if it would be something you'd want, but the guy really maximized space. May give some ideas.

https://www.instructables.com/The-Sm...-in-the-World/
Wow, there's amazing innovation there! I think I might have a "bit" more room that this.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
goofiefoot
Ten Point

My dad came down over the weekend to help with framing. I was extremely thankful to have him there, as we knocked a lot out! We've built things together over the years - deer blinds, decks, boat upgrades - but nothing to this level. It went fairly smooth (I did slip with the razor saw, cutting bird's mouths, and will have a nice little scar from that one), and I have an ideal point to continue working on my own as time allows.

My next video showing all this work will go live later today, so I will post that link so you can see the work in real time (sorta).
Old 05-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #17
sendit
Ten Point

For the long run, I would have used treated 2x4ís for the bottom plate and a foam seal but other than that itís looking good.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #18
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
For the long run, I would have used treated 2x4ís for the bottom plate and a foam seal but other than that itís looking good.
Yeah, I got that advice after it was all up (I should have known beforehand), so I went back and treated the bottom plate as best I could. I also bought some heavy duty sealant to "caulk" between the board and the concrete that I'll put on before I start sheathing.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #19
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

looking great! following
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #20
goofiefoot
Ten Point

We got things all framed up this week on the 200 square foot tiny workshop.

Check out the new episode!
https://youtu.be/giCkezypnM0

Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #21
Matthewc131
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas Coast, Central & East Texas

Doing a Great job man! with the build and the videos
Matthewc131 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #22
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewc131 View Post
Doing a Great job man! with the build and the videos
Thank you!
Old 05-07-2021, 01:31 PM   #23
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Very nice! The best part is that you got your dad with ya!
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #24
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
X2

Agree 100% with Hogmauler, nice build and even better that dad helped you with it.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 10:26 PM   #25
Tomkat70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Going good, nice work
Tomkat70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #26
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Absolutely! He's my hunting buddy, too, though I don't get to see him as often now that we moved to the coast. We enjoy taking on projects together, and I cherish learning from him (and in some cases, teaching him new things).
Old 05-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #27
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I didn't get near as much "big" stuff done this week, but the workshop is coming along. I built the end gables, and reinforced them across the rafters with 2x4 straps.

Putting the OSB roof sheathing on by myself was a challenge, but by the time I finished, I had developed a workable strategy. About halfway through, I found myself stuck on a ladder, holding the 4x8 sheet in place, with nothing to secure it. I tried calling my wife (who was in the house) but her phone was off. I got it figured out, but I definitely learned some lessons on preparation with that one.

Finally, I was seeing some pretty extreme frame racking, so I broke down and bought some OSB (for $45/sheet ) and reinforced the corners. It's back to level, and rock-solid now!

It's really starting to look like something now, and I have a better feel for the final space. I think it will do nicely for my purposes.

I'll post the next video link below.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #28
goofiefoot
Ten Point

This episode is a little longer - lots to cover with building the eave frames and reinforcing them, sheathing the roof, and adding the OSB corners.

Check out Episode 3:
https://youtu.be/GZ7xGCzB-hw
Old 05-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #29
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I was cringing seeing roof decking go on with no wall bracing!

You need to get the rest of your wall sheathing on pretty soon. You now have a parachute, and thatís sketchy this time of year.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #30
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I was cringing seeing roof decking go on with no wall bracing!

You need to get the rest of your wall sheathing on pretty soon. You now have a parachute, and thatís sketchy this time of year.
Great insight! Let me ask - should i put more focus on sheathing the rest of the walls, or getting the roofing finalized? I don't want the roof OSB to get ruined if we get a bunch of rain. Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #31
jb5001
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Thanks for making the videos- I really enjoyed watching them and canít wait for the next one.

jb5001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #32
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb5001 View Post
Thanks for making the videos- I really enjoyed watching them and canít wait for the next one.
Thanks so much! I like making these videos, though they're a ton of work.

If you haven't already, please consider subscribing on YouTube. The more folks I have following along, the more worth my while it is making the videos.

Cheers!
Old 05-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #33
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Looking good!!
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #34
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Great insight! Let me ask - should i put more focus on sheathing the rest of the walls, or getting the roofing finalized? I don't want the roof OSB to get ruined if we get a bunch of rain. Thoughts?

I would get the wall sheathing on before adding all that weight to the top. Roof decking gets rained on all the time, itíll be fine when it dries out.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #35
goofiefoot
Ten Point

This week I worked on getting the shop as closed in as I could. We've been getting a ton of rain down here, and I'm concerned about the constant moisture on all this raw wood.

I started out finalizing the fascia boards so I can start planning the roof installation.

Working by myself, I rely a lot on clamps and leverage (plus tons of up-and-down on ladders). To get things sealed up as much as possible before the next big storm, I focused on finalizing the sheathing on the walls. I'm using 1/2" styrofoam insulation panels to act as sheathing and vapor barrier, and taping it up with sheathing tape. I will attach Tyvex to the OSB corners to shore this all up, too.

I got this all done and taped the night before the last big storm came in. We got well over 5" of rain, and it kept out a decent amount of water. My next big focus is the roof, and hopefully I can get most of it done this weekend between rain storms. It's starting to look like a buiding!

The next video will go live later today, and I will post that up here once it's ready. I appreciate y'all following along!
Old 05-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #36
goofiefoot
Ten Point

How do you tackle large projects by yourself? My tip this week - use clamps, lots of clamps. The new episode is live!

Check it out here!
https://youtu.be/3of73d9W2bA

As always, I'm open to feedback, suggestions, advice, and musings!
Old 05-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #37
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Make sure you install drip flashing. You probably know, but throwing it out there.

Looking great!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #38
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Make sure you install drip flashing. You probably know, but throwing it out there.

Looking great!
Thanks! That's actually on my to-do list today. I'm hoping to get the roof done over the weekend, pending more rain in the forecast.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #39
Txhunter3000
Four Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

I would use wood as a drip or paint the fascia first before using metal. I've seen a lot of rotting behind metal drip flashing. I'm sure others will say they haven't seen any rotting but I have, just my .02.
Txhunter3000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #40
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
I would use wood as a drip or paint the fascia first before using metal. I've seen a lot of rotting behind metal drip flashing. I'm sure others will say they haven't seen any rotting but I have, just my .02.
Oops, should have read this earlier. Metal flashing is up, as is half the roof. I'll try to get some primer and paint up behind the flashing as much as I can when I start on that process. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!
Old 05-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #41
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I got a lot done on the roof this week, just not all of it. I'm learning a ton as I go - namely, my own work process and making each step as efficient (and safe) as possible.

Putting down the tar paper by myself was cumbersome. It has a mind of its own, and I'll admit, I said one or two not-nice words through this process.

On the other hand, the drip edge was even easier than I expected. I actually enjoyed this part.

I tried different approaches to installing the shingles. The best way was to move up vertically (diagonally, with the offset courses) with 6-7 sheets at a time to minimize going up and down the ladder. Finding a magnetic wrist band in my garage for holding the nails was a game-changer, too.

I got one half of the roof complete with shingles, so I'll be working on the other half and the ridge shingles to finalize everything out. I'll be happy to have this part done. I'm really not a fan of ladders.

I'll post the link to this week's video shortly. Stay tuned!
Old 05-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #42
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Have you ever tackled a shingle roof by yourself?

Follow along as I learn by doing on this week's episode of the tiny workshop build!
https://youtu.be/C6D7duN3NB8
Old 06-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #43
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Have you ever tackled a shingle roof by yourself?

Follow along as I learn by doing on this week's episode of the tiny workshop build!
https://youtu.be/C6D7duN3NB8
Yuuuuuup! When I was twelve or thirteen. I tore off two layers, put down new felt and roofed my grandmother's house in La Grange. Every time I hear Charlie Robison sing about ". . . but La Grange was too ****ed hot" I think about that summer. Miserable. I don't recall how many squares it was but it was rough!
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #44
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I got the roof done!!! Feels good to know that's complete, and I can take a break from the extension ladder for a while. We've had a couple of good storms since, and it seems to be doing its job keeping the rain out!

Once that was done, I wrapped the OSB corners in house wrap to get the walls sealed up before the siding goes on. My kiddo was interested in helping me, and she got to operate the air stapler (under heavy supervision), and had a blast with that.

I got the windows installed, flashed, and trimmed up. That all went fairly smooth, and they look good.

I'm getting a better idea of the space now that I have these openings complete. Next steps are to install the door, put up the siding, and get the soffits up. Then it should be completely dried in and ready to start on the electric and interior!

The next video is live, and I'll post the link below! Check it out, and as always, feel free to send me your questions, thoughts, and advice. It's all greatly appreciated!
Old 06-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #45
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Below is the link to the new video, where I complete the roof, wrap the corners, and install the windows.

Check out all the progress:
https://youtu.be/O06rHgrLmtQ

Thanks for everyone who is following along here, as well as the YouTube channel. Much appreciated!
Old 06-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #46
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Yuuuuuup! When I was twelve or thirteen. I tore off two layers, put down new felt and roofed my grandmother's house in La Grange. Every time I hear Charlie Robison sing about ". . . but La Grange was too ****ed hot" I think about that summer. Miserable. I don't recall how many squares it was but it was rough!
Yeah, that does not sound like fun work!
Old 06-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #47
duckheadchili
Four Point

Looks really nice. Great progress.
duckheadchili is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #48
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing how you organize everything. Maybe a lean-to covering off one side to stack materials?
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #49
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing how you organize everything. Maybe a lean-to covering off one side to stack materials?
Thanks! I've thought about this - most likely along the back, so as to not "junk up" the yard too much. Though, here in Rockport, we have to consider the constant humidity and more corrosive salt air, so what goes outside may be limited.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #50
goofiefoot
Ten Point

The door is installed! I can close the shop up and lock it! I had other priorities this week, so the door is the only progress, though, I won't say it was easy. I took my time, used clamps, and got it all square and plumb. Can't ask for more than that!

I picked up the french door off the rack at Lowes. It's a steel door, and HEAVY. My next door neighbor came along to help pick it up from the store, and I was thankful he was there to help get it in and out of the truck.

Maneuvering it around in the shop to get it into place wasn't too bad, and I was able to finalize the install by myself. Using the clamps to get it into its final resting place was the ticket.

I was able to get the flashing around it, trim it up, and then, as I was finalizing this weeks video, my lever handle showed up, so I installed that as well. I'm still waiting for the deadbolt to show up, but I can lock it as it stands.

All in all, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I'm ready to start on the siding now - a process I've been dreading since the 4x8 Hardie panels are so darn heavy.

The next video is live and I will post that below. Thanks for following along!