Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default Anyone hunt with a hinge release?

I've always used an index release until this turkey season, when I switched to a thumb trigger. It's worked out fine, but I just bought a hinge, and I'm now a danger to anything within 180 degrees of my intended target. Is it possible to get good enough with a hinge to use it to hunt? (what Levi Morgan, Chris Bee, or John Dudley use isn't applicable to mortals like me)
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
PYBUCK
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Upton County

Never heard of a hinge release. Did you get it at Home Depot?
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
jlp04c
Eight Point

Been hunting with a back tension release for 7-8 years now... The way I see it is if I don't have enough time to follow the process of the back tension, than I shouldn't be taking the shot!
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
Wile E.
Four Point

You were way ahead of me lol, my first thought when I saw the title is a Levi Morgan video where he talks about the benefits of a back tension/hinge for hunting. I bought a hinge release from the classifieds on here a while ago and have shot it some, not exclusively. My opinion is that I absolutely would feel comfortable hunting with it in the sense that I am in control of when the shot goes off and how I aim, BUT my problem is I just don't shoot that release very well at all. My original release is the cheapest TruFire wrist release you can think of and with it I am able to shoot Xs consistently at 20 yds, but somehow with my super nice hinge release I am hardly able to consistently find the target circle. I'm hoping to improve with it this summer and would consider hunting with it if I get better, but at the end of the day I'm going to hunt/shoot with whatever I shoot the best. I will say that as far as the wrist-strap vs handheld debate, I don't think it makes as much difference as some would say. If I can carry my phone/wallet in my pocket, I can carry my release too and not worry it will get lost.
Wile E. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

I do. I have to if I want to make good shots on animals consistently. Shooting my thumb on targets is fine, get a animal in front of me and I hit the knob so hard it’s gonna break off one of these days

Shot a pig 2 weeks ago with a UltraView, the click is a lifesaver for me. Best thing I did for drawing and not punching myself in the mouth is setting it cold to the click then having the shot hot
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Burwabit
Spike

Hunt In: Marquez, Leon County, TX

I’m on the fence on this too. Just learning hinge this year. I shoot it pretty well on targets, but I’m not sure about animals yet. Will probably try pigs first. I have it cold as I’m learning but may juice it up a little.

On the flip side, I like my Truball Abyss Flex a lot for hunting. I have a cheap hinge but I plan to buy a Fulkrum Flex maybe eventually.
Burwabit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #7
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Been shooting a hinge for hunting going on 2 years now. Switched to it because I had a really tough time punching the **** out of my thumb release while hunting. It takes a bit of practice getting used to but once you get the process down and consistent there’s nothing better. I get the shakes like crazy shooting at any animal with my bow but that is still a work in progress for me. I will say some people like the releases with a clicker, I do not. I flipped the moon on mine to remove the click.

Something to remember with hinges, they will show a break down in form more than any release. Thus, practice makes perfect.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Miller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Laredo

I use one to hunt with. Especially with deer hunting here in Texas. For hunting I use one with a little hotter click than I do for targets. I like having a click so I know where I am at on the release.
For elk or spot and stalk I probably take my thumb with me more than a hinge.

Like everything else what works for one person won't for another...If I haven't been shooting much, I am probably better served to just punch the heck out of a thumb than sitting there trying to hold on a shot, watch the pin dance around and then start thinking about several different things, instead of just going through my shot process.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #9
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I used one for target for many years and 2 years ago I started using a hinge release for hunting. I won't go back to a thumb or index. It is so easy for me and I've never had a bad shot with it.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top