No announcement yet.

Moving because property taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??? Do you not have a homestead exemption in place?

It should have been done basically the year you moved in. Limits the rate that they can increase your property tax due to it being you primary residence.

My mom is owns a property tax assistance company. If they don't win at he protest then you don't pay them.
    Last edited by catslayer; 04-27-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
      Gotta build little Johnny a big astroturf stadium so he can play football. You know, kids can’t play on grass anymore! Lol..
      It’s ridiculous the money being spent on stadiums in this state. I’ve seen the writing on the wall for a long time. So I bought land in Oklahoma to retire to in about 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes that is one problem the school district/ county is split
      One part the ultra high income has a school that needs stuff like
      Jumbo tron replay , professional video team, pro quality sports practice fields, chartered bus service, the other side of the county is required to pay for it
      Plus planning for new was budgeted before building materials became hyper inflated ,

Comment

We got back from looking in Florida panhandle 2 days ago. I'm about to retire and can't handle the taxes going up every year here. Would love to stay in Texas but can't afford it, my first $5000 in property taxes is exempted in Florida due to current VA disability breaks which basically means we will live income and property tax free. I wrote my state rep yesterday but he probably figures me leaving will just have another person buying my place and replacing me. Roads were much nicer in Florida to.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
          ??? Do you not have a homestead exemption in place?

It should have been done basically the year you moved in. Limits the rate that they can increase your property tax due to it being you primary residence.

My mom is owns a property tax assistance company. If they don't win at he protest then you don't pay them.
          "rates" don't go up but the values do, it's a scam by them saying they didn't raise your taxes yet your taxes increase because of the dart board they use at CAD to value your property.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
            Yes that is one problem the school district/ county is split
            One part the ultra high income has a school that needs stuff like
            Jumbo tron replay , professional video team, pro quality sports practice fields, chartered bus service, the other side of the county is required to pay for it
            Plus planning for new was budgeted before building materials became hyper inflated ,
            I'll never vote for a school bond again, it's ridiculous what I pay for our schools.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
              I'll never vote for a school bond again, it's ridiculous what I pay for our schools.
              All so little Johnny can have the top of the line facilities, like mentioned above!!!!

Frisco, I bet that aint cheap

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                What I wouldn't give to have a 5k tax bill

You should really weigh the options at hand...if u move you will likely spend that extra cash on moving etc. Is it really worth the hassle?.. not me so I stay put and take it..it hurts
                Well apparently you'd have to give a a lot of your property.
                Staying put and taking it is an option. Is it worth the hassle? Guess that's relative.
                Last edited by Graysonhogs; 04-27-2021, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Well, Texas does not have the market cornered on this issue.
                  Tons of out of state people buying up property here in Wyoming and driving the prices up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It sucks but property taxes in Texas are a form of segregation. It keeps the riff raff out... and that isn't a color thing it's a class thing. My neighborhood is full of all kinds of nationalities and age groups but they all have one thing in common... they can afford $10,000+ a year in property taxes. Normally that means you have to get up and go to work everyday or at the very least you understand the value of a dollar bill. It means you care about your property and you are gonna keep it up... not always but the majority of the time.

If I could live mortgage free and in peace with great neighbors in a $50,000 house with $1,000 a year property taxes I gladly would. But chances are my stuff would constantly be coming up stolen, my kids would be harassed, drugs would be sold next door and people would be wandering the streets day and night.

It is what it is.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                      Well, Texas does not have the market cornered on this issue.
                      Tons of out of state people buying up property here in Wyoming and driving the prices up.

Texans are just like Californians in this aspect. Fleeing inflated prices and buying cheap(er) elsewheres.

Its funny the relativity of the term “Cheap”. Texas is cheap to the Californians. Iowa and Wyoming is cheap to the Texans.

Im wondering if now might be a good time to buy distressed property in California....or maybe let covid finish working them over a bit more.

Comment

The Texas Tax Code, Section 33.06, allows taxpayers 65 years of age or older to defer their property taxes until their estates are settled after death.

Not sure how old you are or if you plan on passing the property along to heirs but this is always an option for getting out of taxes (for the time being).

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          Texans are just like Californians in this aspect. Fleeing inflated prices and buying cheap(er) elsewheres.

Its funny the relativity of the term “Cheap”. Texas is cheap to the Californians. Iowa and Wyoming is cheap to the Texans.

Im wondering if now might be a good time to buy distressed property in California....or maybe let covid finish working them over a bit more.
                          You might want to wait awhile, my sister lives in Los Angeles and the housing market is still in full swing/ the bubble hasn’t popped

P.s she has no property taxes, but has to send her children to a private school @ $15,000-$20,000 per child :eek

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            All so little Johnny can have the top of the line facilities, like mentioned above!!!!

Frisco, I bet that aint cheap
                            I bailed on Frisco 8 yrs ago, live in Grayson county now but still not cheap and prices are skyrocketing but that only helps if you are selling which we will be but has to be someone wanting a wedding venue

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post

Wyoming real estate is pretty expensive on the front end compared to Texas. One difference is that our property taxes have been pretty low because the oil, gas and coal industry up here has historically picked up a good portion of that tab. That is about to change however and I would not be surprised to see taxes go way up here.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                                It sucks but property taxes in Texas are a form of segregation. It keeps the riff raff out... and that isn't a color thing it's a class thing. My neighborhood is full of all kinds of nationalities and age groups but they all have one thing in common... they can afford $10,000+ a year in property taxes. Normally that means you have to get up and go to work everyday or at the very least you understand the value of a dollar bill. It means you care about your property and you are gonna keep it up... not always but the majority of the time.

If I could live mortgage free and in peace with great neighbors in a $50,000 house with $1,000 a year property taxes I gladly would. But chances are my stuff would constantly be coming up stolen, my kids would be harassed, drugs would be sold next door and people would be wandering the streets day and night.

It is what it is.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

well said right here

Comment

Working...
                                X