Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-31-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
waterdog
Pope & Young

Default glacier national park?

going on vacation to glacier. anyone been there? things to see and do ? thanks
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Get up early and drive the going to the sun road. Ask a ranger for side hikes off that road for. I can't remember where, but we hiked to a fair sized alpine lake of that road that was amazing. Saw a Grizzly and a moose on that little side hike.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Was there 13 years ago. When are you going? I preferred glacier over all other parks in the west. Was not near as crowded.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Of course the Road to the sun, kayak the lake at the bottom (near the "village" hotel & shops), pick a trail and take off. Don't forget the Huckleberry Ice Cream.

South-East (i think) outside of the park is the Goat Lick. Mountain goats congregate and lick the minerals in the rocks. Ask around about it, or google it maybe.

Goat Lick (link)

If you go over the RTTS to the east side of the park (or drive around out of the park to the east side) there is a little cafe in the little town there, the has Huckleberry cream pie that is THE BOMB. Can't remember the name of it, but there ain't much over on that side so not hard to find.

Edit: Saint Mary is the town

Last edited by Philip-TX; 03-31-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
elgato
Ten Point

Do everything being said here. Beautiful area. Bring a rain coat. While your up there in that neighborhood may check out glamping at PawsUp.

**** Idol ( or Idol **** as some used to call him ) has a cool Art shop in Flathead. He was one of the early writers and guides in S. Tx Mexico years back.Its worth a visit.

Dang editor won't even let me use a guys name. See if you can guess

Last edited by elgato; 03-31-2021 at 08:42 AM.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Melvin, TX

I booked a fly-fishing trip when I went. Also definitely get some of the hiking trails in, even some of the easy one
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
RCDuck
Four Point

Hunt In: Love Co., OK

Awesome Place.... When you are up near the top of the Going to the Sun Road it looks like a postcard in every direction. We mostly did a lot of different hikes... I don't remember them all but our favorite was Grinnell Glacier... saw a Grizzly bear, mountain goats, and one BIG bighorn. We also did a horseback trail ride which was ok, but mostly in the thick forest.

If you're staying or will be in Whitefish.... don't miss Loula's Cafe for breakfast and/or Pies.

If you are into custom rifles... Proof Research is in Kalispell... I didn't stop, but saw it was there.
RCDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Run up to Polebridge. You’ll leave the park for a little while on the drive up if you drive from the west end of the park. There’s a little souvenir store and restaurant about 2 miles before Polebridge on the north side of the road. Best Huckleberry pie you’ll ever have, and worth the trip alone. Polebridge is a pretty cool little place as well.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:49 AM   #9
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDuck View Post
If you are into custom rifles... Proof Research is in Kalispell... I didn't stop, but saw it was there.
You’re thinking Columbia Falls. They’re home to a lot of fine companies such as Proof, Defiance, Mystery Ranch, and a handful of others I know I’m missing.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Tagged
Greenheadless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
bowhunterhelm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

I went 20 years ago. Did a back country hike of about 40
Miles over 5 days. You are in for a treat, Glacier NP is the best. I want to go back.
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

In either the lodge or restaurant there is a bighorn mount that is mind-boggling.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

OP my wife and I went to GNP in 2018 as part of our honeymoon road trip. We drove 5400 miles in 19 days, and hit 8 national parks if you include the 3 we hit in Canada. Out of all the parks I’ve been to, and all the parks we hit on that trip, GNP was by far our favorite. We didn’t get to see as much of it as we’d have liked, but we spent 3 full days there before heading north to Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay. We’re currently trying to figure out a family vacation that makes another stop (but longer) in GNP.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #14
lars
Six Point

Hunt In: Nac/Rusk county line

My wife and I are going at the end of June. Tagged. What is the name of the cafe in St. Mary? Our neighbors are both 80+ and "go to that little cafe in St. Mary" was the first thing they told us when we told them we were going to Glacier.
lars is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #15
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
My wife and I are going at the end of June. Tagged. What is the name of the cafe in St. Mary? Our neighbors are both 80+ and "go to that little cafe in St. Mary" was the first thing they told us when we told them we were going to Glacier.
Did some google'n and it looks like Johnson's Cafe is the place I was talking about. On the East side of the road, w/ RV park up on the hill, IFR. We were there at the end of May a cpl yrs ago, so it wasn't tourist season. We went on a rainy afternoon with other park options limited by weather.

I DO regret not going into Canada, (only 20 miles away) but we were pressed on time. Take your passport, just in case. Supposed to be beautiful up there.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #16
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

We did a hike up to Triple Divide Pass. Ranger said it was a 2 day hike, but it was a pretty easy overnighter. Cool place. Only place in the world where precipitation runs off into three different oceans.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 07:36 PM   #17
LAW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

Been there loved it don’t plan anything just let it happen.
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #18
waterdog
Pope & Young

thanks all. going the end of may staying 2 weeks.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:47 PM   #19
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Good question OP, I sure would like to get up there some day too. Thanks to all who posted this good info.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:52 PM   #20
kingranch
Ten Point

Check out iceberg lake
It's a good 5 mile hike to get to it but worth the journey..it's on the far north side of the sun road
Attached Images

kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 11:56 PM   #21
kingranch
Ten Point

And take a pistol.. it's legal to carry
I saw so many bears and some big ones too
Attached Images

kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 12:37 AM   #22
DFA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle and Grayson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
And take a pistol.. it's legal to carry
I saw so many bears and some big ones too
Yep, no way I'm going in grizzly country without a weapon
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 08:24 AM   #23
BarBBar
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

For restaurants, you might like Nickle Charlie's in Kalispel. Read reviews on Trip Advisor. The Springhill Suites by Marriot there was good also, although it has been many years since my trip. If possible, I would combine a trip to Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise if Canada will allow US tourists. You will need a passport. The Canadian Dollar is still weaker than the US dollar.
BarBBar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #24
Mouse
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo/Big Lake/Datil NM

On most years Going to the Sun Road is not open until mid July due to snow removal. Also the last year east side entrance has been closed by the tribe. Park was very crowded last year due to restrictions. Kalispell newspaper online is a good resource for information about what is going on in the park.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #25
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky

When are you going? Wife and I been looking at places. Had considered Yellowstone.
Ready to go now, but was concerned to much snow/ice...
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #26
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Run up to Polebridge. You’ll leave the park for a little while on the drive up if you drive from the west end of the park. There’s a little souvenir store and restaurant about 2 miles before Polebridge on the north side of the road. Best Huckleberry pie you’ll ever have, and worth the trip alone. Polebridge is a pretty cool little place as well.
I'm heading that was in Mid July with the wife. We plan to stay about 4-5 miles south of Polebridge. Is that a good location to stay at? We may be staying 3-4 nights.

Is there some other place 3-6 hours south of GNP to stay a night or two at?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #27
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Another consideration is time your trip with the mosquito hatch if possible. Avoid at all costs. I was told this by someone I was booking a house at last week.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #28
jake03
Six Point

Hunt In: backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Yes, definitely take time for this. Good 20+ miles north off of GTS Rd...end up in the middle of nowhere, less than 20 miles from Canada border. Visit the Polebridge store for the pie and other really good sandwiches and such. Then drive up to Bowman Lake...wow! There are also a few others lakes right in this vicinity that you can drive/hike to...rough roads, but we made it in 2wd Expedition with no problems.

As someone else mentioned, GTS Rd doesn't fully open until mid-June or July....but we drove it about halfway heading north out of Kalispell. Many hiking trails to some beautiful glacier lakes.
jake03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #29
Deerslayersh
Eight Point

Glacier NP is awesome.

If you're the hiking type, I recommend staying on the east side of the park, as it has the best hikes. The west side has better amenities but is much more crowded.

Babb has a hotel near the Many Glacier Entrance if you don't care about luxury, which is the entrance to get to the trailheads for Iceberg Lake (mentioned above) and Upper Grinnel Glacier Lake (I think the best hike in the park).

I think Glacier is probably the best NP for hiking, so if you're willing and able get out there and do it. Stunning views on the east side of the park.

Westside has some easier hikes with views proportional to the difficulty of the hike.

** Edit ** FYI - My profile Picture was taken on the hike to Upper Grinnel Lake
Deerslayersh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #30
Deerslayersh
Eight Point

Without knowing your physical capabilities; if you're not able to do ±10-mile strenuous hikes, I would recommend the Banff area in Canada to get great views with less hiking (but it is crowded).

You can fly to Calgary cheaply, drive to Banff. The surrounding towns are really cool. There's another Canadian National Park on the border of US/CA called Waterton that has some great views and isn't very crowded. And you could even couple the trip with Glacier pretty easily as it's not a long drive south across the US/CA border. Good luck!
Deerslayersh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #31
Hockley
Ten Point

Jealous, it has been 15 years or so since I've been, but I'm ready to go back! Tagged for information.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #32
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

Make reservations, I heard on the radio yesterday that Glacier and Yosemite NP are reservations only.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #33
waterdog
Pope & Young

we book the trip in march. we are good to go end of may.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #34
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

They are closed much of the year due to snowfall.

Early - mid May would be best. It is before the kids get out of school so there are less people. It is also late enough that the snowmelt should be enough to open.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #35
waterdog
Pope & Young

trip was awesome! its a must see and do.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #36
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Awesome place! Stayed at the Lodge on Whitefish Lake, very nice and the rooms were huge
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #37
3whunt
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Fly fish. Those bull trout are gorgeous. Everybody else has covered the rest.
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #38
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX
Default glacier national park?

If it’s just you and your spouse, stay in a train car (specifically the caboose) in Essex... eat dinner that night in the Issac Walton. Few things in this world are more romantic.

Many good things here already listed. Waterton is fun if you go to Canada.

Also eat at moose’s and bring a pocket knife! But warning Don’t go if a hockey is on TV. Liable to be a fight break out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #39
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I'm heading that was in Mid July with the wife. We plan to stay about 4-5 miles south of Polebridge. Is that a good location to stay at? We may be staying 3-4 nights.

Is there some other place 3-6 hours south of GNP to stay a night or two at?
Somehow I missed this back then, and it may be too late now. In case it’s not too late I’d recommend staying pretty much anywhere along Flathead Lake. Lakeside was the town that stood out the most of where I wanted to spend more time, and we will probably end up staying a night or two there in July on our trip as well. I’m hoping to make GNP again, but not sure that we’ll have time. We’ll be in Kalispell for the Big Sky Music Fest.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:28 PM   #40
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Thanks to all for posting this useful info about this awesome place.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #41
Filletem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
Check out iceberg lake
It's a good 5 mile hike to get to it but worth the journey..it's on the far north side of the sun road
I waded out in that lake for a pic. That water will turn you from male to female in about 1 second when your junk hits it.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #42
Jon Stewart
Six Point

Few years back my wife and I bicycled across the United States and did the northern tier which included Glacier National Park. We got held up for 3 days on the western side at Lake McDonald . The had trouble clearing the snow on the Road to the Sun. We finally got the clearance and rode up to the top. Took us 6 hours to peddle up. My bike weighed in at 80 pounds and wife's was 60 pounds(carried all our gear) . Could not see a thing because of the foggy conditions. I heard we missed the view of a life time. After our visit to the top we coasted several miles down to St. Mary where we had supper. You can call 1 406 888 7800 for road condition for the Road to the Sun.

This was fathers day . Hope this helps a bit.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #43
jmark100
Ten Point

Hike to Old Man lake
jmark100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top