Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Project Car for Beginner and for Kids/Youth???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would say something from the early eighties down to kate sixties and just look around at different makes and model and find something you reall like if you’re not really in to it you might lose interest
    4x4 pickups jeeps 2wd hot rod trucks fox body mustangs camaros etc are always popular
    good luck!

Comment

I've been thinking about a AMC Gremlin to fix up for my granddaughter.

Comment

I had an 81' SWB chevy in Highschool. That thing was a beast and very easy to work on. Especially the stuff I was into at 17-18. Glasspacks, Lift and that sort of stuff.

Comment

Fords are cheaper up front, but Chevys are easier to find parts for. I get lots of looks in my 89' brick nose.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	truck-89.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	24645383

Comment

I would go with a Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2004-2006, parts still easily accessible and they hold their value. You might check Daveys Jeeps, sometimes they have salvage jeeps that are in really good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
              I just picked up a couple of square body Chevy and Gmc pickups to work on with my son and grandson. I might be willing to part with one of them if you are interested. Both are very straight body wise and they are easy to find parts and are highly collectible. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Thanks for the offer but I’m in the research stage and not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Forgot to add, I'd focus on the body and frame. It's easier to swap an engine yourself than it is to fix bad rust. Paint is one thing but starting with solid metal makes things a whole lot easier.

Comment

When I turned 15 my dad bought me an 88 Jeep Wrangler YJ. We worked all year on it and it was a great experience.

Comment

I'd get a 1966 Baracuda, let me know if you need one.

Comment

Thinking back to 16 -I really want something with antilock brakes , traction control, and probably brake assist for my kids

Comment

What are his interests? Would he rather have a 4wd hunting type truck, a hotrod car, or some kind of truck.

67-72 Chevy truck comes to mind
                        Tons of aftermarket parts for a jeep
                        Toyota 4x4
                        Lots of parts available for mustangs

Comment

If you live in the big city, I wouldn't get them anything full size. I see too many of these 12th grade "rednecks" beating up dad's big ol 4X4. Parking lots will get them fast. I started my son in a Ford Ranger. I started in a '61 Ford Falcon Ranchero. My granddaughter will be something smallish to get around town with also. And yes, she saw a Gremlin the other day and loved it.

Comment

What do they like? I have buddy that did this for his kid and it was really for him and the kid did not even want it.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                              I just picked up a couple of square body Chevy and Gmc pickups to work on with my son and grandson. I might be willing to part with one of them if you are interested. Both are very straight body wise and they are easy to find parts and are highly collectible. Shoot me a pm if interested.

PM sent. Didn't want to hijack but since the op passed I figured I'd see whatcha got

Comment

Ford Trucks especially late 70's are very easy to work on. You can find any part you need for any old chevy or old ford through LMC truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X