257 wby mag ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

257 wby mag ammo

Over the last couple of years I’ve been shooting whitetails and muleys with my Montana Rifle Company model 1999 in 257 wby mag using 110 gr Hornady Precision Hunter rounds (ELD-X). Typically the deer are DRT, but oftentimes they don’t have pass-throughs... is it the ELD-X? I’m thinking about stepping up the bullet weight to 115 Nosler Ballistic Tips or 120 Nosler Partitions. Just trying to increase the mass a bit... obviously speed is not an issue with this round. Which direction is recommended and why?

HSM (discontinued) are awesome and the Accubonds.

Have heard iffy things on the Hornady

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
      HSM (discontinued) are awesome and the Accubonds.

Have heard iffy things on the Hornady

What did you hear about Hornady? Accuracy issues or the pass-through issues that I mentioned?

Comment

120 gr Partitions are bad medicine for whitetails. I’d avoid ballistic tips at the speeds you’ll be pushing them.

Comment

My neighbor using my .257 has only had one of the 100 grain Spitzers not pass thru and that was on a frontal shot.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
            What did you hear about Hornady? Accuracy issues or the pass-through issues that I mentioned?
            Mostly accuracy but have read a couple times on the pass through limiting blood trails

Comment

100 grain barnes might be a good option for you too. I have shot the 80 grain Barnes bullet in mine but not shot any deer with it. That bullet requires no hold over out past 300 with 1.25” high zero at 100.

Comment

Personally, I want the bullet to dump all its energy inside the animal and bullet be suck in the opposing side. Side note, never had an animal take a step using a 257 weatherby.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  Over the last couple of years I’ve been shooting whitetails and muleys with my Montana Rifle Company model 1999 in 257 wby mag using 110 gr Hornady Precision Hunter rounds (ELD-X). Typically the deer are DRT, but oftentimes they don’t have pass-throughs... is it the ELD-X? I’m thinking about stepping up the bullet weight to 115 Nosler Ballistic Tips or 120 Nosler Partitions. Just trying to increase the mass a bit... obviously speed is not an issue with this round. Which direction is recommended and why?
                  Sounds like the shots aren’t far at all and the bullet is doing exactly what it should

If you want a pass through every time use a ttsx.

Comment

I think the opinion on the ballistic tips is they are a little fragile for the speeds you are running. Same as the eldx. See this thread, 6.5, but same issues, and the 6.5 doesn't go nearly as fast.

I shoot 25-06, not as fast as your .257W, and the BT's are very accurate, but I am concerned about them being tough enough to get pass throughs. I think at my 25-06 velocities I would be fine with behind the leg shots, but what about when you have to go through a shoulder? I use 115 gr partitions so I can shoot any angles with confidence. My rifle likes them also. My grandson shot a doe with one last month and he hit it high behind the shoulder. I wanted a shoulder shot so we wouldn't have to track it in the brush country, but he was nervous as this was his first deer, and pulled it a bit. deer went 50 feet, pass through, but no blood trail, as it was high. Lots of blood at impact site and where it fell, but no trail after 10'.

The TTSX 100 gr shoot ok in my rifle also, still considering them for hunting.

Comment

Weatherby Factory ammo in 110 AB shoot .75" - .5" in my 257.

Comment

If you are wanting pass through, I would shy away from the ballistic tips in the Roy. The Barnes TTSX will get you an exit every time. However, I have had some issues with expansion on deer when something hard isn’t hit. IMO, the 110 grain accubond is the perfect combo of expansion and penetration.

Comment

My brother and i both shoot the 100 grain spitzers. Weatherby isnt offering them anymore but they can still be found on other ammo sites. We have had a lot of success and always had pass throughs with them on whitetails up to 240lb south tx deer.

Comment

The 110gr Accubond is the bread and butter for the .257wby-- I would also consider stepping up to the 115gr VLD- they can still be found and running up at 3350fps and sub 1/2 moa at 300 yards is bad medicine for WT.

I decided to eek out the max performance possible from my Roy and APR gave it a full makeover with a fast twist (7.5) Proof Barrel. I will be running the new 131gr Blackjacks, which most guys have found they can still reach 3400fps with. This beats the drop, wind drift and velocity of the 7mm 180 ELDM out to 1000+ yards.

So- if anyone decides to fast twist their Roy... the reamer (1 use) is on my desk!

Comment

Also a good way to blow a leg off a deer, haha!

Originally posted by chase15 View Post
                              My brother and i both shoot the 100 grain spitzers. Weatherby isnt offering them anymore but they can still be found on other ammo sites. We have had a lot of success and always had pass throughs with them on whitetails up to 240lb south tx deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X