Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help making 90° miter cuts on 6-8" posts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The poles holding my porch over hang up are getting in bad shape. Priced a few and they're around $80 each, I have 8 that need to be replaced. Bought some 6" round posts and 2x8's to build my own, but I'm not sure how I'm going to cut them flush. Got some ideas bouncing around in my head on how to build a 90 frame out of angle iron and bolt some thin strips of plywood on the bar of my chainsaw, but not sure how that's going to work. Porch is concrete, so poles are going to have to be flat on both ends. Anyone have any suggestions before I start experimenting? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Muskles; 12-15-2019, 02:36 PM.

Use a circular saw. Cut 2-3” deep on each of the four sides. Hand saw or reciprocating saw the last bit in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Clamp a speed square on each side and go slow with a good sharp handsaw, that's how I've done them before.

Comment

Sorry, guess I didn't specify, these are round posts.

Comment

A radial arm saw would get it done. Might look up a cabinet shop and see if they would cut them for $20 or so.

Or you could use a piece of 2x2 angle iron to hole them while you cut them with a skil saw

Comment

I don’t understand what you’re asking.
            What are the 2x8s for?

Are you just wanting them cut to length and to make sure the ends are square so they sit flush on the concrete and under the porch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am not sure exactly what you are wanting

But I would cut pipe with chop saw, tack square plate to end for base, plumb the pipe and weld the plate on.
              Then box around pipe with 2x8s

Comment

Poles are 6" diameter treated wood posts. I'm going to cut the 2x8's and make octagons to go on the top and bottom for decoration. I can cut those on a compound miter saw. Need to cut the 6" round treated wood posts flat. Sorry I've made this confusing.

Comment

My first thought would be to see if I could find a wood cutting blade that would fit my chop saw

My second thought is to use something like a pipe wrap to mark a line around the post and then use a circular saw or freehand a chainsaw real slow

Comment

What about using a countour wrap to make your marks then use a sharp handsaw. You can find the wrap on amazon pretty cheap

Comment

A 12” compound miter should cut all the way thru it and it would be a perfect 90. If not, rotate it slightly and finish the cut. If u use a bench and have a stop to bump the post u to for the length u can rotate it to finish the cut and it will bea perfect 90 and a lot better than anything u can d w a chain saw

Comment

You cant cut and rotate the posts a few times on the same saw you plan on cutting the 2x8 with?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          You cant cut and rotate the posts a few times on the same saw you plan on cutting the 2x8 with?

I may give something like this a try. Didn't really think it would be able to cut through it.
                          I don't think I can make a straight cut all the way threw.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                            I may give something like this a try. Didn't really think it would be able to cut through it.

I don't think I can make a straight cut all the way threw.
                            Make a jig out of 2xs first to hold the post. What's left over with a handsaw

Comment

Sharpen up the Stihl Chainsaw and make a few practice cuts first, then let em have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X