Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
JewellHuntress
Four Point

Hunt In: McCullough
Default We’re gonna have a Rat killin!

Long day of class and driving yesterday so I slept in through hunting this morning and woke up at daylight to the sound of creepy little mouse feet somewhere.
I know there have been posts, some old and many about vehicles, but does anyone have any new advice on getting rid of and keeping mice out of the DL camper that we eat, sleep, and play in? We have curious little kids, a dog, and any version of live or dead snake is a no go, another great reason they need to die. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JewellHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
bigjohntex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman county

Peppermint oil. Safe, smells good and works as a repellent.
bigjohntex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

Tractor supply sells something in a bag that is a deterrent, I’ve had good luck with it, can’t remember name they come in little mesh bags

pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

You’ve got to kill them man. Get online and order some Tom Cat liquid poison and put it in some chick waterers where the pooch can’t get to it. You have to have the liquid, the little bars just don’t work!

Then, get under your camper with some steel wool and a can of expanding foam. Any hole you see, shove some steel wool in it and then foam it.

Between these two things I have yet to have a mouse or even sign of one in my camper in years. Nobody else on my lease can say that. I hate those things!!!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Get you a 2 inch in diameter steel pipe 4-5 feet long, place it outside under your camper, and fill it with the green tomcat blocks from TC .
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Oops, fat finger, TS (tractor supply) not TC
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Don't leave ANY food in the camper that mices like to eat: cookies, chips, bread, etc. Nothing but canned food. Starve them, and they won't stay. Poison for the little bastages that are stubborn!!!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

I would seal up your trailer as best possible, on the underside and anywhere, they can get in. Then don't leave food or food smell in the trailer. Clean it up good inside with strong cleaners, such as Clorox, anywhere they has been food.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

I run bailing wire through the hole in tomcat ( so they can’t drag it off) and hang in mouse spots
Turn off the water in the trailer and drain to prevent a water source
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

If you have electricity get those plug in mouse deterrent things...they absolutely work.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
JewellHuntress
Four Point

Hunt In: McCullough
Default We’re gonna have a Rat killin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
You’ve got to kill them man. Get online and order some Tom Cat liquid poison and put it in some chick waterers where the pooch can’t get to it. You have to have the liquid, the little bars just don’t work!

Then, get under your camper with some steel wool and a can of expanding foam. Any hole you see, shove some steel wool in it and then foam it.

Between these two things I have yet to have a mouse or even sign of one in my camper in years. Nobody else on my lease can say that. I hate those things!!!

Sounds like a job for my dear sweet husband. They’ve found the tomcat poison bag, and already eaten through and into it.

Last edited by JewellHuntress; 10-20-2020 at 09:01 PM.
JewellHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

It is a multi-faceted war, fought on many fronts. Very good info so far. This is our program.

1. Seal EVERYTHING under that trailer. Steel wool and anti vermin expanding foam.

2. Kill EVERYTHING. Make your camper a bad option for shelter. We weedeat and mow around everything in camp as far out as possible, spray around/under all campers with round up twice a year, and keep rat bait out. I soak some bars in syrup and put out when we leave on Sunday, never had any trouble with the dogs that are in camp regularly.

3. Deter EVERYTHING. Ultrasonic pest repellers are worth their weight. We also use traps while we are there. We also have a tall plastic trash can under the edge of an outside table...leave scraps in the bottom, when you come back there will be dead mice in it. Leave no liner in it or they will crawl out. Peppermint oil seems to help some. We also broadcast insect killer all over camp in spring and summer.

4. We have been known to bait them in a safe spot and shoot them with rat shot in a .22revolver...this is more for fun than extermination.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #13
MtnMike
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Get an Electric Trap from Lowes. It works!!
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #14
Cactus rancher
Nubbin' Buck

If you can spend a little more up front look at FasTrac Blox. It is a single feed quick acting poison used by a lot of pro exterminators. It comes in 4 pound pails so is a little more expensive. Mice and rats will eat it and ignore the green Tomcat bait at my place. It's very toxic and no real antidote so I use enclosed bait stations to keep it away from pets. Most of the diy pest control places online sell it and the bait boxes.
Cactus rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #15
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

for some, poison isnt the best option. kids and pets can get it and then there is secondary poison from the dead/dying mouse being eaten. keep the grass short and put up an owl house. i also have a couple cats that i take with me when i go and they really do a number on the rats
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top