Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell
Default 12x Bino or spotting scope?

So I have a pair or Swarovski el 10x42 which work great but sometimes i wish I had some more power, most of my hunting is on a 18k ranch in foard/Knox county which I hunt 1/2 deer stands and 1/2 sitting up on top of hills where I can see a long ways.. I also put in for nm elk hunts every year.. Iím debating on either selling the 10x42 and buying 12x50 or keeping the 10x42 and buying a spotting scope..??
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Spotting scope all day.....................
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

My current optics setup includes the following:

8x32 EL’s for most archery elk and high country hunts where weight savings is important.

12x50 EL’s for any situation where weight savings isn’t at a premium.

STX & BTX 85 for when I need to reach out there.

I’m gonna be honest, if I had to sell one of the three pieces of my optics setup it would be the ATX/BTX 85. I hunt a lot. I hunt out west a lot. I rarely use my spotter unless a truck is close by. Its nice to have but not vital for most types of hunting.

My 12’s off of a tripod are much more useful for most glassing scenarios. The spotter is nice when you need to decide whether or not a buck/bull is worth going after from 2+ miles away. Otherwise, the 12’s off of a tripod will win out just about every time.

Last edited by RdRdrFan; 10-17-2020 at 09:34 AM.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Spotting scope. That extra 2X won’t gain you much.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Get a Leupold HD spotter, nice and lightweight.
We have a Swaro spotter, use it all the time but the Leupold spotter spouse has is lighter and gets carried more in the pack.
12x50 will be heavy to carry around your neck. You will have to have a tripod to use them for glassing, same with a spotter.
The spotting scope is a game changer at long distances.
Get a window mount too.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

I have a swaro spotting scope which I use for really long distances but I really like my 15x56 swaros. With the proper bino harness I dont find them heavy at all. Ive used them for my caribou hunt in Canada and my elk hunt in Montana. Never once did I feel like they were too heavy.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I have a swaro spotting scope which I use for really long distances but I really like my 15x56 swaros. With the proper bino harness I dont find them heavy at all. Ive used them for my caribou hunt in Canada and my elk hunt in Montana. Never once did I feel like they were too heavy.
Are you able to use them without a tripod?
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I switched from 10x to 12x after my elk hunt last year and it was a huge improvement, I canít tell a difference in carrying while hiking but I did add a bog pod to my pack for extended ranging sessions.

Spotter never left the truck and really only came out 3 times in a week.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

I would think spotter as 10 to 12 isnít a huge gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
I would think spotter as 10 to 12 isnít a huge gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it added 3oz over my 10# but canít feel any difference while carrying
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
So I have a pair or Swarovski el 10x42 which work great but sometimes i wish I had some more power, most of my hunting is on a 18k ranch in foard/Knox county which I hunt 1/2 deer stands and 1/2 sitting up on top of hills where I can see a long ways.. I also put in for nm elk hunts every year.. I’m debating on either selling the 10x42 and buying 12x50 or keeping the 10x42 and buying a spotting scope..??
I run 11x45 binos, ATS 80 - 20-60x, and razor 11x30x5o spotter.

If I could only have one it would be 11 or 12x binos.

Very seldom in texas will you have enough acreage for a big spotter to matter. Also field of view is rough. Even in New Mexico I seldom use my 80mm, In fact only time I really use my big spotter is my west texas mulie lease, where I use it for digi scoping/pictures, more them anything

I actually use my 11-30 more then sts, just handier and easier to toss up on the window and get a kick judge. Especially on my ranch in the panhandle when I'm pronghorn hunting from truck.

I'd step up to a pair of Swaro NL’s 12x before I went the new spotter route
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
randal
Pope & Young

Man y’all are making this a hard choice lol.. I spot lots of deer far off that I could go get closer to but it’s hard to tell if they are worth the trip or not..
Old 10-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #13
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Of note, the new Swaro 12x42s have they same field of view as the EL 10x42s.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #14
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

I like the 15x56 SLC swaros and my 95mm ATX spotter as a combo. But I hunt more open country a lot out west and usually have about 6-800 yard roads in 4 directions that I feed all of for whitetails. High magnification is a real help in my situation. I also have a pair of zeiss 15x45s that are pretty light and come in handy.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

I don't know how open the terrain is where you hunt but the 8,500 acres we hunt up here is open country and we can judge a deer from a mile away with the spotter to make a decision if he's worth a closer look. The binos find them and the spotter helps make determinations on a stalk or not.
You have great 10x binos, do you need 2 pair of great binos ? Binos get used on every hunt for us. The spotter, when we are truly looking for specific caliber of animal or age class, which is actually often.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #16
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

If you wear glasses I strongly suggest trying before buying. I have been through so many spotting scopes I have given up. The field of view is so small ( even with the eye cups rolled down) and the eye strain from closing one eye was not worth it to me. I much prefer binos, at least for now, if I find a spotting scope that I can see full field through I may reconsider, but haven’t found one yet.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #17
randal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
I don't know how open the terrain is where you hunt but the 8,500 acres we hunt up here is open country and we can judge a deer from a mile away with the spotter to make a decision if he's worth a closer look. The binos find them and the spotter helps make determinations on a stalk or not.
You have great 10x binos, do you need 2 pair of great binos ? Binos get used on every hunt for us. The spotter, when we are truly looking for specific caliber of animal or age class, which is actually often.
Well if I went with the 12x Iíd sell me 10x if I went with a spotting scope Iíd keep my 10x.. some areas I can see miles off of hill, some I canít see too far.. some stands I can see a wheat field thatís 3/4 mile away, I can tell there deer out there but Iím not getting out and going over for a ďmaybeĒ. We also have a 150 acre wheat field I see deer on the other side when I hunt but canít tell if itís worth going..
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #18
randal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
My current optics setup includes the following:

8x32 ELís for most archery elk and high country hunts where weight savings is important.

12x50 ELís for any situation where weight savings isnít at a premium.

STX & BTX 85 for when I need to reach out there.

Iím gonna be honest, if I had to sell one of the three pieces of my optics setup it would be the ATX/BTX 85. I hunt a lot. I hunt out west a lot. I rarely use my spotter unless a truck is close by. Its nice to have but not vital for most types of hunting.

My 12ís off of a tripod are much more useful for most glassing scenarios. The spotter is nice when you need to decide whether or not a buck/bull is worth going after from 2+ miles away. Otherwise, the 12ís off of a tripod will win out just about every time.
If you could only have one would it be the atx or btx eyepiece? Iím torn because I want to be able to tell if something is worth going after or not (sometimes a mile away) but I also would like to use it to spot deer while Iím standing on top of a hill and can see long distances as well.. sometimes I need to see if something is worth going after thatís a lot closer as well but canít really tell thru my 10x
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #19
Texans42
Ten Point

You aren't carring the BTX too far from the truck. I was about to buy one and then used one. Unless your job is to glass 10hrs a day for a living it’s pass. ATS/STS are more multi use IMO.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top