Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Match ammo for deer

Guys,

I’ve seen quite a few posts in which the hunter used match ammo for deer hunting. I’ve not tried it myself and I would like the opinions of you seasoned and experienced folks.

I currently shoot Berger 140 VLDs with excellent results and don’t plan on changing. Just curious what the opinion of others that have more experience than myself think.

Happy Thanksgiving

Great question. I shoot 140s too. And all I see in the store are match bullets.

Comment

Don't think I would want to shoot most BTHPs, but not afraid of using ELDMs.
      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm8wAXkVaxU"]Hunting with Match Bullets? 6.5 Creedmoor FACEOFF - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Not all match ammo is constructed the same. I had good results on a couple of does with 123gr hornady eld match

Comment

Depends on what “match bullet” you are referencing. Lots of people group these bullets together, but they are definitely not all created equal. The actual bullet construction varies a ton in different bullets that are labeled as match grade.

With that being said, Hornady ELD-M’s work great for deer/hogs in my experience.

Comment

I shoot the heck out of deer with Hornady match ammo outta a 6.5 prc if that matters

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
              Depends on what “match bullet” you are referencing. Lots of people group these bullets together, but they are definitely not all created equal. The actual bullet construction varies a ton in different bullets that are labeled as match grade.

With that being said, Hornady ELD-M’s work great for deer/hogs in my experience.
              I do believe that the Hornady ELD-Ms are the ones that are used in the posts I’ve seen.

Comment

I know some guys that used to kill a lot of deer each year with SMKs.

Comment

They will do a lot of damage to the animal, they work great if not worried about meat damage. I’d use 140 grains +

Comment

I accidentally mixed up my loads one year and shot 3 deer using hornady amax in 308. Al had pass throughs with about a 1” exit wound and made it less than 40 yds. It was an accident but it did the job just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      I know some guys that used to kill a lot of deer each year with SMKs.
                      Kilt a few truck loads of deer with them over the last 50+ years. 175 smk is my go to in .308. Shoulder shots do make a mess but thru the ribs behind the leg makes jello of heart and lungs. In a 300WM with 168's they will turn a coyote completely inside out with a frontal shot.

Comment

I shoot my match rifle with 140gn ELDMs for deer and hogs.

Never had any issues this season, 5 for 5 with doe. I have been shooting body shots vs heads as most of my shots were right at 175yds.

Blood trails required no searching, just walk right along to the animal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry for the bloody photo, but here is a 140 ELDM exit on a chest shot at 175yds.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just started shooting the 135 grain Berger Target Hybrids out of my semi custom .257 Wby Mag. I was impressed with the bullet performance on a cull buck and a hog a couple weeks ago. I was a little concerned about the thicker J4 jackets but judging by the exit wound on the deer I would say expansion was good. The hog was head shot at 230 yards and that was pretty gruesome.

Comment

I’ve shot several deer using 168 grain hornady AMax .308 they folded on impact.

Comment

Working...
                              X