No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to save any deer pictures from last trip. Deer are hammering protein and cotton seed even though it is super green. I also just picked up and additional 500 acres connected to this spot. I have a few mature deer coming in but I can really only identify one so far. Stoked to see what this year brings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to make a quick trip tonight just to pull camera cards. Nothing like a 5 hour drive just to check antler growth. I am thankful for my 1 cell cam though!
        Attached Files

Comment

Looking good. I was at my lease last week. Saw lots of whitetail. Pigs are freaking EVERYWHERE. Killed 7. We were hoping to kill some rutting axis bucks. Killed a couple does, but didn't see a shooter buck. I called one in. He bellowed and raked a tree about 80 yards from me on the fence line. I saw the tree limbs shaking, but the brush was too thick to see him. He must have had does with him. He didn't come in to the call/rattling any further. We have maybe 10% of the axis we had before the freeze. It really sucks. Heard a few bellows, but nothing like what it was in years past during the rut. Normally, the bellows were nearly constant day and night. Just a few here and there this time.

I wish I could get excited about the whitetail, but they're just jackrabbits down there.

Comment

We lost most if not all of our blackbucks from the freeze. But out WT’s are looking really good and lots of fawns dropped so far. The biggest suck is literally every oak tree has broken branches. So had to move most blinds and/or spend days cutting. It is like a tornado went through the entire place. Thousands of acres decimated. Its crazy

Comment

Yeah, every tree has half the branches laying on the ground after all that ice. It was a devastating winter storm.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Looking good. I was at my lease last week. Saw lots of whitetail. Pigs are freaking EVERYWHERE. Killed 7. We were hoping to kill some rutting axis bucks. Killed a couple does, but didn't see a shooter buck. I called one in. He bellowed and raked a tree about 80 yards from me on the fence line. I saw the tree limbs shaking, but the brush was too thick to see him. He must have had does with him. He didn't come in to the call/rattling any further. We have maybe 10% of the axis we had before the freeze. It really sucks. Heard a few bellows, but nothing like what it was in years past during the rut. Normally, the bellows were nearly constant day and night. Just a few here and there this time.

I wish I could get excited about the whitetail, but they're just jackrabbits down there.
                I enjoyed following along on Facebook with your trip to the lease! Beautiful property!!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                  I enjoyed following along on Facebook with your trip to the lease! Beautiful property!!
                  It is. Fishing is fun. The sudden loss of most of the axis sure is depressing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    It is. Fishing is fun. The sudden loss of most of the axis sure is depressing though.
                    Ya that sucks

Comment

Finally ended up with a great rain yesterday, neighbors gauge shows around 2.2”. Grasses were just starting to yellow/brown yesterday when I was out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                        Finally ended up with a great rain yesterday, neighbors gauge shows around 2.2”. Grasses were just starting to yellow/brown yesterday when I was out there.
                        I sure hope it rained out at our lease yesterday. Radar looked like it did rain a good bit but the closest LCRA gauge only showed two tenths of an inch (but close to 1.25 inches overall in the last week plus).

Forecast is calling for more. Fingers crossed.

I'll post up picture's here in a bit from two weeks ago from our trip to the lease.
                        Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-05-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	24654713

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	24654714

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	24654715

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	24654716

Saw several turkey (hens) with babies!!! No pics but I was glad to see them. Saw three jakes and two big boys.

Saw a ton of deer overall. Wished I would have taken more pics. Saw one really good 9 point. Deer looked healthy overall.

It was turning brown but like mentioned in my above post it looks like we've picked up some rain since I was there.
                          Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-05-2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Those bucks are looking good!! We have also seen a few hens with poults lately. Our Turkey numbers have been way down, I sure would love a rebound.
                            This guy scored around 135-140” last year, I sure hope he’ll be at least that big this year.
                            Attached Files

Comment

lookin good

Comment

Its still super green by us. I'm hoping this buck clears 140" as a main frame 8. I will be at a wedding in Puerto Rico for opening weekend so the other guys on the lease may get a chance at him before me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X